Im confused - Powder Weight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
#'s have driven me crazy since grade school. Weighing 3f VS 2f is confusing me now.

Allright, I always shoot 100gr (volume) Pyrodex RS 2f, Which on my scale, weights 68.2grains.

I just loaded 70gr(volume) 3F Goex and put it on the scale and it weighs 68.2 grains.

Is the 70gr 3f goex load = to the 100gr RS load? Both weigh the same so that is what has my mind in the blender.

frontier gander said:
#'s have driven me crazy since grade school. Weighing 3f VS 2f is confusing me now.

Allright, I always shoot 100gr (volume) Pyrodex RS 2f, Which on my scale, weights 68.2grains.

I just loaded 70gr(volume) 3F Goex and put it on the scale and it weighs 68.2 grains.

Is the 70gr 3f goex load = to the 100gr RS load? Both weigh the same so that is what has my mind in the blender.

First you need to either turn off or unplug the blender. :lol:

Just remember the standard is BLACK POWDER. It originally was measured by weight, thus a powder measure should measure a VOLUME load of Black Powder accurately. They may be a few grains off, because not all Black Powders weigh exactly the same, nor all volume measures are calibrated the same.

Pyrodex is less dense than Black Powder, therefore you will get more VOLUME loads out of a pound of Pyrodex than you will Black Powder. The VOLUME of both powders is equivalent, the WEIGHTS will not even be close for the two powders.

The 70 gr Goex load would be equivalent to a 70 grain VOLUME load of Pyrodex, which would WEIGH 30% less (around 49 gr by WEIGHT).

No matter what, you're dealing with an approximation.

It's always been my understanding that traditional volume measurements were based on FF grade black powder - that is, a 100 grain volume measure should throw 100 grains weight of FF black powder (i.e. weight and volume are the same). But because other grades of powder and different subs have different densities than FF black powder, that same 100 grain volume measure will throw different weights of each of those powders. Even then, I doubt that 100 grains volume of two different manufactures black powder, say FF GOEX and FF Swiss, would weigh the same.

Even with the same brand of black powder equal volumes of different grades will not weigh the same, and equal weight charges will have different volumes. For example, 95 grains weight of GOEX FFFg fills my TC U-View measure to the 105 grain volume level, and 95 grains weight of GOEX FFg fills it to the 100 grain volume level. Now with Triple 7 FFG, 95 grains weight will fill that same measure to the maximum 125 grain volume level, and I have to tap it down to make it fit.

Adding to the confusion, there does not seem to be any industry standard for volume measures. Set on the 100 grains volume mark, my TC U-View measure throws a charge to fills my old unknown brand brass measure to the 95 grain level.

So, probably the only valid way to determine load equivalents among different powders is to go by velocity. If you have a load of Pyrodex RS that shoots a certain bullet at 1600 fps, then you can experiment with GOEX, Triple 7, etc. to find what load of those powders push the same bullet to 1600 fps. Then weigh the charges of each powder and you have equivalent loads for that velocity.

Simple, eh? :lol:

Thanks, i just got really confused when both weighed the same. Busta you are correct about the 70gr pyrodex charge weighing 49 grains. Thats exactly what i had on my list.

Now that its all cleared up, Im goin shooting tomorrow with both flinters :lol:

that is one of the reasons i only shoot T7 PELLETS ,you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out your load ..2 pellets give me 100gr. short and sweet but then that is me .if the deer doesn't drop with that load then i did not do MY PART..

black powder said:
that is one of the reasons i only shoot T7 PELLETS ,you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out your load ..2 pellets give me 100gr. short and sweet but then that is me .if the deer doesn't drop with that load then i did not do MY PART..

Just my opinion...

That may be good enough for some people. But what if the "sweet spot" for your rifle is 110g of powder?... Or 130g? You'll never be able to achieve that with pelletized powder. Fine tuning accuracy may not be as important as convenience for some but I'd much rather take that extra 2 seconds when reloading to have the most accurate load I can. Not a knock on you at all brother, just giving my opinion on pellets.

if weight should be less than volume how come when i measured out 100 grains of my blackmag3 it weighed 102 grains on my digital scale.

OptimaAndy said:
if weight should be less than volume how come when i measured out 100 grains of my blackmag3 it weighed 102 grains on my digital scale.

Andy,

It isn't always the case, a 100 gr VOLUME load of BM'3 WEIGHS 105 grains with my measure and scale. That is what I have been talking about in previous posts. 10 oz of BM'3 doesn't go very far, as compared to BH209 where a 100 gr VOLUME charge only WEIGHS 69 grains on my scale.

10 oz BM'3 ('XP) = 4375 grains / 100 gr Volume (105 gr Weight) = 41.66 loads per container.

10 oz BH209 = 4375 grains / 100 gr Volume (69 gr Weight) = 63.40 loads per container.

Back