SABOTLESS ACCURA PART 2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvilorio1

Reaction score
Well since I started this thread I will finish it. This is part 2 of four parts. This time I took out the ACCURA V2 45 cal. with the 27" barrel to see what she would do sabotless, and I did put her thru the crony so be patient it will take a while. I used three different bullets all knurl up to .453, they were the Barnes T-EZ 250 gr., the Harvester PT GOLD 260 gr. and the SST"s 250 gr.. This time to compensate for bullet weight and to compare to a 50 cal. that shoots the same bullets but in a sabot, I increase the powder charge to 110 gr. BH 209. and the results are amazing. So here it goes. I will put the stats for each bullet under the each target.
ACCURA V2 45 CAL. 27" BARREL
BUSHNELL DOA 250
110 GR. BH 209
ALL BULLETS SABOTLESS
ACCURAV2SABOTLESS006.jpg

THIS ARE THE FILES I USE TO KNURL THE BULLETS UP, AND THE BULLET PICTURES ARE BELOW WITH THE WADS.
ACCURAV2SABOTLESS005.jpg

ACCURAV2SABOTLESS004.jpg

ACCURAV2SABOTLESS003.jpg

THIS ARE THE SST'S 250 GR. SABOTLESS. AVERAGE VELOCITY 1941 FPS. THREE SHOT.
ACCURAV2SABOTLESS002.jpg

THIS ARE THE PT GOLDS 260 GR. SABOTLESS. AVERAGE VELOCITY 2034 FPS.
ACCURAV2SABOTLESS001.jpg

THIS THE BARNES 250 GR. SABOTLESS AND THE FIRST ONES I SHOT TODAY. THE FIRST GROUP HIGH, MADE A SLIGHT SCOPE ADJUSTMENT AND SHOT THREE MORE ALL THRU THE SAME HOLE. AVERAGE VELOCITY 1966 FPS.
After looking back at some of the 50 cal. crony results I got using the same gun but in a 50 cal. with a sabot, the 45 cal. I used today with out sabots still was faster them the 50 cal. and this is using the same bullets as I used today, so the myth of a 50 cal. makes a bigger hole just went out the window with this test since it is the same bullet as use in the 50 cal., and I'm not trying to upset any one here, but stats don't lie. One more thing I notice was the barrel had less residue in it with out sabots them when you use sabot and still recoil was less. Next up will be the Kodiak and them the TC with the 45 cal. bergara barrel on it.

Nice shooting, and those PT golds are extremely accurate bullets.

Man thats some damn good shooting! No group you posted is bad, some are just plain scary, like that Barnes!

Well documented range report and pics cvilorio. Looks like there are now options for those set on using heavier bullets in a .45 bore. I'm guessing .45 CVA Apex owners also having the 27" Bergara barrel should be able to achieve the same results.

Not all .45 caliber bores are exactly the same when slugged and measured. Have you settled on .453" through trial and error for that particular rifle, or were you knurling to increase the diameter by .00XX ths" based on a measured slug :?:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s. I'd like to setup one of my smokers with a heavier bullet for bear :affraid: and other game larger than whitetails. Looks like I will have something totally different to try on the range for 2012.

That is correct Marty, not all bores are the same. I just really had to seat there with the gun and knurl the bullets up a little at the time until I got what I thought would work and to me it was a learning process, and once I got there I knew it would work. For the Kodiak I found out it will take less knurling since it is a bit tighter so around .452.5 is about right, but that is what I enjoy the most about this, is finding out new ways to shoot different thing out of muzzle loaders specially the 45 cal. and specially full bore bullets out of it, and don't worry you Apex owners she is coming up on my list, so I guess it will be a 5 part report.
Carlos

Nice report and shooting Carlos! Thanks for taking the time to do the leg work on this as I have been extremely interested. I will be patiently waiting to see how the TC frame with .45 Bergara does. ;) :D

:D

Carlos,
Great report and awesome shooting as usual. The info you supply us is second to none. It's always interesting and informative and always helpfull to the forum members. :cheers:
Thanks again,
Ray.................

Great report Carlos. You do a great job planning an experiment, executing it, and showing actual results. Hey, that sounds kinda scientific - objective rather than subjective :lol:

Thanks for posting the results. I've been meaning to give this a try, but haven't had the time. When deer season ends here I'll have some range time. Just hope that I can duplicate your accuracy, Carlos.

Great test.

Someone could make some money reselling bulk bullets carefully knurled to a given dimension as you have done - but done by machine for speed and consistency. That you shot those targets after knurling with files is pretty amazing in itself.

Underclocked said:
Great test.

Someone could make some money reselling bulk bullets carefully knurled to a given dimension as you have done - but done by machine for speed and consistency. That you shot those targets after knurling with files is pretty amazing in itself.
I tried knurling a few copper jacketed bullets, and sorta got the hang of it after I wrecked a few. Like anything else I guess if you do it enough you get good at it. Carlos is just a human machine when it comes to that kinda stuff. Chances are the files I used were not the best tools for the job, but I'm not willing at this point to spend the $$ for the right pair.

Underclocked said:
I would like to see the same test done using some "poor man's" XTPs knurled to fit.
That's the same bullet I was playing around with... but I didn't have the quality control enough to take them to the range. I'm guess I'm a poor man :lol:

Underclocked said:
From what i have been researching on the web, a lot of folks are using the ones you posted and they can be bought at big box hardware stores like Home Depot.the Barnes he tested sure shot accurately and i bet it's due to the extra length of copper bullets being longer. i am going to give it a whirl :clown:

Carlos Im glad to see that you sell E.Maine wool wads Ill tell guys to order from you. For the guys that worry about screwing up some bullets get a lee size die just under bore size and you can resize and start over and if you get a die close to bore size you can hone out the die for a perfect fit after knurling and sizing. :D

Someone should try the the parker ballistic extremes that Bad Bull Muzzleloaders puts grooves into for their muzzleloaders. I was thinking that you might not have to knurl those bullets. They are $1.50 each.

Latest posts

Back