shot placement?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Reaction score
i just got done putting my climber on a tree on a steep hillside, it is the only tree big enough within clear shooting distance of the trails. bad thing is all the deer will be traveling strait at me, nothing i can do about it. the deer is going to have to drop in its tracks, it is close to a neighborhood and i don't want to be tracking threw yards. should i shoot for the neck, sturmun, bust a shoulder or what?

You're going to have to break them down.. so a neck or scapula shot would work best. The spine is another target but kind of small...

cayuga said:
You're going to have to break them down.. so a neck or scapula shot would work best. The spine is another target but kind of small...
I agree with his assessment.

I would say if they can get close enough to you without spooking, I say break the back at the shoulders. I have killed a few of them like that and they drop like a sack of potatoes and doesn't really mess up any meat.
Let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out.

A shot thru the front chest is the easiest target but using they travel 40-50 yards.. I'd go for a highish chest shot.

I would break a shoulder (or two if you're lucky). Let em' drop right there, and if you need a second shot, you will have plenty of time to reload. I don't mind tracking, but the whole neighborhood thing would worry me. Shoulder shot or head shot!

I know this is late but if the situation comes up again I would wait! If the deer is not spooked it comes in slowly feeding along it turns left and it turns right and makes it way to you. You will get a sholder shot if you just wait the deer out I can just about guarentee it. If not a straight down through the back bone.

Latest posts

Back