Mountain Caribou

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyAl

Reaction score
Copyofcaribou010.jpg

Copy2ofcaribou006.jpg

Shot in the NWT at a distance of 55 yards (man am I stealthy....haha)
250 gr sst
3-50gr pyrodex pellets
TC 50 cal omega
Topped with a Leupold ML scope

Beautiful! Congrats. Looks like that combo did the job. How far did he go after the shot?

That is a beautiful animal. And I am sure that load you use was more then lethal. You got a close shot. Was this just by chance? What is the normal kind of distance a person should expect, hunting them? How far were you prepared to shoot out to? I see you had a great long range load, but looking at the wound, its no wonder you planted it right there. Congratulations on a great hunt!!!

shot distance

Cayuga, I planned to get as close as I could. I've target shot out to 300yards and have shot a doe at 200. As far as I know the distance I shot mine at would be the exception and not the rule. I think the other hunters in camp (rifle hunters) shot their's at a distance of 200yards+. The distance I was able to get close to have an opportunity at mine was because of a great plan put togther by my guide Tanner. He knew the area intimately and knew the habits of the Caribou as well. We did a mad dash (well he dashed I did more of a chug)up the mountain to get infront of them keeping the wind in our favor, it also didn't hurt that we had the sun at our back as well, cause at that elevation there's limited cover.

Hey Al...!!!
WOW!!
Man... THAT, is one beauty of a Magillabou!!!

I would love to have one on my wall!

Give ya $100 tmd :lol:

Hey, did you happen to recover the bullet?
Any pics of that? Inquiring minds want to know....ya know?

Shoot, you gotta be jazzed!! :mrgreen:

Congrats and great job! That is a beautiful set of bones.

Spitpatch, I was / am still jazzed :D .
In the excitment of post shot aftermath I didn't think to try to recover the sabot, I've recovered quite a few from other game I've shot with this same load, they virtually all look the same, great mushrooming / expansion, and as you can see great results. Very rarely is the shot a pass through, I like to think that all the energy is expended inside the animal (where it should be to do the most damage).

In the past I've experimented with differnet loads I missed a gagger whitetail because I was trying to "build a better mousetrap" trying out a 300gr sabot that I thought would be the ticket because a favorite celibrity hunter I enjoy watching on TV shoots em. Big mistake, I will stick with what I know works, and that's the recipe that took down the bou.

Freakin outstanding!!! That's a monster! I dream of someday taking a caribou of that caliber. Great job! 8)

story

I'm a sucker for hunting stories, so here's mine:

My Mountain Caribou hunt was with Redstone Outfitters, flew from Edmonton to Norman Wells NWT, we hopped on a float plane and flew into their Hook Lake camp. Couldn?t hunt the first day, I managed to convince my guide (Tanner) to rig up a way to carry my bow and quiver on his horse the next morning. (after I proved to them that I could shoot effectively with my Robertson Mystic longbow) He told me that the hunting was probably be going to be tough as the warm temps had the caribou spread out and still way up high. Where we were going he?d sat for 2 days dawn until dusk and hadn?t seen a bull. But there was a front coming and he thought that maybe that would be enough to get em moving around. We left camp, on horseback, a storm came in it rained sideways for an hour, then sleet and a cold wind, but man did it get the caribou moving! By 1pm I had a chance to stalk a 310-320? bull and his cows with my bow but couldn?t get within longbow range (55yards was as close as I got) but what a rush!!
Saddled up again and road onto a new vantage point where we saw a bunch of cows in the timber?we were both trying to see a bull moving through the trees. Tanner spotted one way up top right at the edge of tree line, it turned out to be 3 bulls. The bull looked good enough to try and get closer to, this involved a bone jarring ? mile trot (I?m no horseman and these horses know that)on my steed Spike followed by a 500-600 yard sprint ( well that?s what I?ll call it, let?s just say I never stopped I kept moving forward as Tanner with his gazelle like stride was leap frogging me trying to locate the bulls, all I could think of is how hard I?d worked to try and get in some semblance of shape over the last six months and it may not be enough) We were trying to get to a ridgeline before the bulls went over and down the other side. By some amazing miracle the bulls decided to stop at a little grassy meadow )a meadow that Tanner had said was there just before the ridge dropped of into another drainage) I had enough time to catch my breath( I was sucking slough water at that point) I didn?t look at the bulls until I?d regained a bit of composure. I finally peeked around the tree Tanner had us hiding behind and I was surprised to see they were only 50-60 yards away, I held it together long enough for Tanner to tell me which of the 3 bulls were the best (there were 2 shooters), shoot the dark antlered on, he said not the white antlered one we?d originally seen. I dropped to a knee?.. took aim?. waited for the white antlered bull to clear?big smoke and he folded like a cheap suit. We hooted and hollered like we?d hunted together for decades, ran up to him and he just got bigger with every step I took. The time was 2:30 on the first day, my caribou hunt was over, it was surreal!
Tanner took some great pics, as you can see, he caped him out, I helped him quarter him, we loaded everything on Tanner?s horse Digger and he walked leading him and my bou the 4-5 miles back to camp. I followed on Spike watching to make sure the load didn?t shift and fall off, I offered to trade places with Tanner but he wouldn?t hear of it. He said "it's your vacastion not mine". We didn?t bring a packhorse cause Tanner thought it would slow us down (I originally thought he didn?t bring one cause he had no faith in yours truly, but after getting to know him the next 4 days I?m sure he was truthful when he said he hated bringing a packhorse). I was pretty jacked up to ride into camp, the crazy round guy with the limited distance shooting gun and longbow, scoring on the first day ?. I still get goose bumps thinking about it.
I?ve never hunted with a guide before but if I ever do again young Mr. Tanner has set the bar very high?. I was very lucky to have him as my guide. He went out of his way to make sure I was comfortable on my horse, humored me by allowing me to bring my longbow and ML, he knew the area intimately, he knew the caribou?s habits intimately as well. He had the patience and encouragement to get me to where I had to be in order to have an opportunity. I just can?t say enough about him?he?s the best. As far as my hunt was concerned, the rest of Redstone?s camp was topshelf (my buddy wasn't so lucky his guide was poor) Although I did have a slight problem with the fishing. The lakers wouldn?t co-operate and I had to work way to hard to get them to bite. I was trying to catch enough to feed the camp for supper, failed and we had to settle for eating caribou, moose and sheep instead?man did that stink! :wink:

SWEET !!!!!!!!!!!

beautiful animal for sure and on the top three of animal i would like to get with my muzzy .
1 Bighorn sheep
2 mountain Goat
3 Mountain Caribou
4 Moose
5 whitetail ( just love the looks of a nice white tail , even better than a mule deer )
6 Elk . Even a spike , will be hunting them in a few weeks .
7 Big mule deer , shot 7 small ones
8 . Antelope

Latest posts

Back