Pink Fat??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kootenaibill

Reaction score
Field dressing a bull moose, shot by my son, that was in rut and under the hind quarter were big patches of pink. I thought at first it was bruised meat from sparing matches. I cut into the pink color which turned out to be about one half inch thick and regular color meat was under the pink stuff. All I can figure is the pink stuff is fat. Anyone ever encounter pink fat before?? What else could it be. The bull appeared to be in excellent health and strong as a.....bull. 57-3/4" spread by the way. :?

Any pics of it, and the Bull!!?? I think I know what your talking about, was it attached to a thick heavy white lining sort of stuff!!?? :? :wink: Hope that makes seance!! :shock: If It does, then you maybe right, thats all I ever thought it was! Congrates on the Moose by the way!! 57-3/4" not to shabby!!!!

Perry

I have seen this twice, Both times on adult bucks. There was very little fat present and the pink stuff was the color of the sinew on the meat under the hide. In both cases the bucks were shot during our muzzleloader season in MN. in December. Typically the deer have a thick layer of fat by then but those bucks didn't at all. Probably from chasing does around during the rut. I thought the pink stuff looked strange the first time we saw it but the meat was fine. I have no idea what causes the pink color.

I'm not certain but have been told that rutting bulls, elk and moose get this. Usually on the breeding bulls.

Back