Belm Pin Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boarman

Reaction score
I just got a TC Encore...struggling to get consistant groups under 3" at 100yds.

Made sure scope is tight, put in 3# trigger spring, different loads, bullets, still getting +3" groups.

There is no play or wiggle in the barrel/receiver. Factory pin is tight. I can tap out with a punch & light tapping

I tried to put in the #1 Belm Pin, but it only goes about 1/2 way.

SHOULD I POUND IN THE #1 BELM PIN ? I am concerned about damaging the barrel/receiver if I force it.

Any help is appreciated

Old saying goes like this
IF IT DON'T FIT,DON'T FORCE IT :mrgreen:
boarman said:
I just got a TC Encore...struggling to get consistant groups under 3" at 100yds.

Made sure scope is tight, put in 3# trigger spring, different loads, bullets, still getting +3" groups.

There is no play or wiggle in the barrel/receiver. Factory pin is tight. I can tap out with a punch & light tapping

SHOULD I POUND IN THE #1 BELM PIN ? I am concerned about damaging the barrel/receiver if I force it.

Any help is appreciated

Boarman,

We probably need more information in order to help you out, like the powder, powder weight, bullets and bullet types that you have tried so far. Maybe your scope, base and ring combinations as well as the primers you are using. Is this an Encore, an Encore Pro-Hunter or Encore Endeavor? Was it new or used?

Check out this link on some basic accuracy tips for the Encore.

http://gunsandoptics.blogspot.com/2008/ ... -tips.html

The Bellm pin is designed to be an "Interference Fit". Which means you will have to use some force, possibly tapping, to get it in there. I just put a little breech plug grease on mine and tap it with the butt of a screwdriver. I don't have to beat it but I definitely have to apply some force to get it in there. As long as you don't have to beat it, you're not going to damage anything.

As far as your groups... Are you letting the barrel cool down in between shots? If your pin is already tight and you don't have any play between the barrel and the receiver, then you may be having accuracy issues due to heat. I have noticed that when I shoot a 3 shot group as fast as I can load them, my accuracy suffers. If I take my time and allow the barrel to cool, I get great accuracy. This may or may not be your issue.

A buddy of mine has a 30-06 NEF that shoots erratic groups (a couple shots together here...and couple together there). Could one of these pins help the problem? This would be cheaper than a new rifle.

boarman said:

Any help is appreciated

I would not pound it in , Tap in yes , but not pound . If your guns is already tight then i would stick with the stock pin . I would float the forearm and leave the hinge pin alone until you have play . IMO Mine had play when it was new and needed the 1x pin .

Do you have a mark on you ramrod so you going to the same spot every time ? I have a Encore and have used 90 grains of Pyrodex , 85 grains of 777 or 90 grains of Bh209 and got great groups with these loads using a .452 300 grain xtp bullet . Also check you forearm and butt stock and make sure they are tight . The only time my groups opened up was when my stocks came loose and i would get 3'' groups at 50 yards . :twisted: Your groups may also tighten up after you put a 100 round through it as the barrel brakes in . I lapped my barrel before i ever shot it and got tight groups right off .

Good advice, seems like my dad told me the same thing when I was kid
"Don't force it !" I will stay with the existing pin

I did sand down the ears on the forarm grip. They were in contact. Haven't shot it since.

Have tried BH209.....90-110 grains.
Winchester 209 Primers
Hornady SST-ML Low Drag, 250grain

I plan on getting out this weekend.

Boarman,

Is you action open when you are attempting to "Tap" in the Bellm pin?

I have some tihght fitting pins that needed some strong tapping but I placed some gun grease on the pins and taped them in place and the rifles shoot very well.

chocdog

i also hope that your action is open when you are attempting to "Tap" in the Bellm pin? i have a bit of play when the action is open but it goes away as soon as i close the action shut ..accuracy is constant if i clean after every shot and do my part [RELAX and SQUEEZE the trigger ]

James 14,

The NEF's have a different pivot system from the TC. So No the Belm pin will not do anything for him.

ShawnT

My Encore had no real noticeable play, however adding the next size larger pin shrunk my groups to 1 1/2".

I had to tap mine in with the aid of a small hardwood dowel and a hammer.
It IS an interference fit so you have to tap fairly hard.

You will be amazed at the change it makes.

Have you tried any other sabots with those 250g sst's ? I would try a Harvester short black or hph12. My encore would not shoot the low drag red sabots real well.

I just got the #1 pin installed, with consistant tapping & a lot of grease. I installed the factory pin & the #1 followed behind it.

Yes, I installed with the receiver open.

Today I received an order of MMP Sabots to try. I will use the 300gr & 250gr Hornady SST

Thanks gentlemen for you words of advice. Now it is up to me to do my part. (relax & squeeze, somebody said)

Boarman,

I would definately try a tighter fitting sabot since you are using BH209. Give the Harvester short black sabot a try with the Hornady SST. I really think this will do the trick. BH209 usually takes a snug fitting sabot to start showing good accuracy. Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Got out today, but didn't have any better luck. I only shot the 250gr Shockwaves. I tried the MMP HPH 24 sabots , but were so tight, I could hardly get down a clean boare. Decided not to try on a fouled bore.

Starting to think it could be me.....but I am able to shoot my Ruger M77 .270 cal under 1"

I will play with different weight bullets next time out.

Thanks to all for your advice !

It is likely that you need to put pillars on you forearm, you might also check the stock to action bolt and make sue it is tight.

boarman said:
Got out today, but didn't have any better luck. I only shot the 250gr Shockwaves. I tried the MMP HPH 24 sabots , but were so tight, I could hardly get down a clean boare. Decided not to try on a fouled bore.

Starting to think it could be me.....but I am able to shoot my Ruger M77 .270 cal under 1"

I will play with different weight bullets next time out.

Thanks to all for your advice !

Hang in there , you will get her figured out !!!

Got out today.....what a difference 777 made.

Put 250gr Hornady SST ML with 100gr 777 in 1" group ! :D

I have faith in the world again !

boarman said:
Got out today.....what a difference 777 made.

Put 250gr Hornady SST ML with 100gr 777 in 1" group ! :D

I have faith in the world again !

Feels great don't it !!!!
Now when you got out into the woods after BILLYBIGBUCK you will be very confident !! :D

Back