The 300 yrd shot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylorhaught

Reaction score
Hav any of you fooled around with this distance? What were the results? If one were shooting a T/C Triumph, BH209 what bullet sabot combo would you get started with?

My muzzleloader is sighted in out to 300 yards and my group was as good as a 4" paper plate. I am shooting a Winchester Apex 100 grains of BH209 with a Hornady 250 grain bullet.

You might want to have your powder weighed because you will get a more constant group. My group could have been better if I would have weighed it. I was wanting to get ready for Deer season and didn't have much time.

Also after you have shot out to 300 on a flat surface you will want to shoot from an angled shot from about and below it makes a huge difference. I shot at a huge non typical at 250 but he was down the hill from me and I shot right over his back. I also shot at a huge doe above me at 210 and shot right below her.

I know I am on I shot three deer at 200 to 210 just that they were at the same level I was. Just didn't realize the drop when shooting different angles.

Well good luck, and it is really cool when you hit a deer that far with a ML. You can really hear the bullet hit the deer.

River Rat.

While I am sure a muzzleloader properly loaded can shoot that far... there comes a point IMO where we have to look at the ethics of the shot. 300 yards is a long shot for many center fire rifle shooters let along a muzzleloader shooter.

No experience here at 300 yards with any weapon. Precision Bullets claim to be the most flat mz bullet and the drop is still substantial. I also question the knock down power at this range.

I agree with Cayuga that it is important to understand the limits of what you are shooting (the accuracy and knock down power) as well as the limits of the shooter. That being said, I think it is viable that modern muzzleloaders with modern projectiles may well retain enough knock down power to safely take game out to 300 yards, and I have no doubt that the accuracy is sufficient. It would be nice to find someone who has calculated bullet velocity and energy out to that distance. Of course, when shooting at such distances with any weapon, it is the responsiblity of the shooter to make sure that he/she is taking an ethical shot. When I took my elk last year at 320 yards (rifle, not ML), I first shouldered my gun at a crouch with no rest for my gun and couldn't hold it well enough to be confident with the shot. I then found a way to get in prone position with a nice rest for my rifle and had a very stable shot. The first shot would have been unethical in my opinion, the second was a confident shot that I would take any day.

power

I also question the knock down power at this range. I leARNED a hard lesson this year w/ a roundball. I new I could shott and hit a 4 inch pie plate consistently w/ a 240 grain TC Cheap Shot and 85 Grains of Goex. I hit a doe in the shoulder, knocked her down and she got up and ran. Went back the necxt morning and she was still running . little to no blood, and limping horribly. I think I busted her shoulder up but didn't penetrate deep enough at 100 yards. I still am bothered I never got her, she went into a swamp that just won't be breached. I've dropped big deer at 140 yards w/ 110 grain bh209 and 200 grain bulets no problem. I got cocky about me shooting skils on paper and range and forgot ethics and knock down. I will read my charts and know what I can shoot ethically for kill shot, I know what I can do on paper!

for 300 yard shots i think its best to just pack in a centerfire than to get crazy with taking that kind of shot with a muzzleloader.

Keep'em unscoped and you dont have to hear stories about 300 yard gut shots :wink:

300 yard shot

i shot a buck at about 230 yards but the bullet did not exit. no mushroom on bullet

Nimrodder said:
Keep 'em unscoped and we can hear about 75 yard gutshots :lol: .

yeah but then atleast they'd have an excuse to use :lol:

heck ive seen plenty of 75-100yard 9x scope gut shots on the forums.

I won't shoot at an animal that far with a ML but I do practice at 250-300 yards or so sometimes. It's fun. We set up gongs and have at it. Nice to hear that ring. We all miss at times too! :?

I like to shoot at deer at about 80yds or less. I would try one a little further if the right shot presented itself but all my deer were shot closer. Most within 60yds.

1. TC Cheapshots pancake very easily!!!

2. 300 yards is doable!!!

3. Terminal performance is awesome if you're a groundhog!

:lol:

Seriously.... that's a little far.....for anything but paper.

Anyone know of the longest ML kill?

300 yds

I would rather not take the shot at 300, but I would if conditions were right. Know the range, wind favorable, solid rest, rifle capable, load capable, high power ballistic scope, animal broadside, take the shot!
Wayles

I am really suprised to hear what y'all are saying. I would have no problem shooting out to 500-600 yards on big game with a centerfire. Not a big deal there. Obviously there is a HUGE difference with a ML.

I'm not saying I want to ever take the 300 yard shot, infact, 200 is as far as I have shot with a ML thus far. I am wanting to know if anyone has done any reasearch to see if its feasable i.e., velocity, energy,etc. If I am getting 2" groups at 200 yards, then 300 in theory is do able.

Guess that is what ill be doing this summer. :)

Not sure why you would stop there. Why not 400 or 450 yards? I am sure you can find a smokeless muzzy with an asskicking load of powder that could get you the ballistics for that range too.

Because to me, that is not what muzzleloading is about, not at all. But that is just me, and hopefully more than a few others. I don't have the right to tell you how far is right for you, but I know that 300 is too far for me.

Because I'm not looking to spend a few thousand dollars on a muzzleloader. I still dont understand why the resistance to this topic. I know there are ML's being made that are pushing these kind of shots, thats not what I am interested in or how I started this topic.

I am not a ML purist, I shoot a Triupmph with BH209 and want to know the limitations of my gun and since it isnt hunting season and trying to think of topics to post

Nimrodder said:
I don't need an excuse to use a scope and neither does anybody else 8) .

Yea but someplaces you can't use a scope an others its only 1x, sure wish I could with these ol,eye's :cry:

RC

OK, just for fun I ran the charts on a 250 gr SST (BC .211) at 1950 fps (about 100 gr of BH209 from MY powder measure in MY omega, YMMV).

Yards Velocity Energy Elevation ETA
0 1950 fps 2111fpe -1.65 in 0 sec
50 1783 1764 1.51 .08
100 1628 1470 1.89 .17
150 1483 1220 -0.95 .265
200 1353 1017 -7.81 .371
250 1240 854 -19.41 .487
300 1148 731 -36.72 .613

You can see the energy is getting marginal, the drop is getting to the point where it is critical to know the exact distance because 5 yards could mean the difference between a hit and a miss, and the time to target is getting large enough to give the animal time to move too much from when you pull the trigger until the bullet hits. Most importantly, wind drift is nearly 27 inches with a 10 mph crosswind at this distance. I can't judge the wind well enough to tell a 5 mph from 10 mph, but there would be more than 10 inches of difference in drift. Just too much to be ethical IMO.

Latest posts

Back