Round ball size for .44cal?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My CVA Jukar Kentucky was 45 cal it took a .440 patched ball .

I don't know.  A .44 revolver shoots a .45+ ball.  A rifle tends to shoot a ball .10 or more under bore diameter. I would try something I had on hand first - .440 or .45.  If it is obviously too big then look for .430 or .429 (maybe someone reloads for .44 Mag and you can try for fit). Use micrometer!

I always start off trying a .440" ball and go up or down if that doesn't work.

Buck Conner said:
FrontierGander said:
Would a .44cal Jukar kentucky take a .433" patched round ball?
I would try a .430 for a patched round ball.
Talked to a couple of old customers that have these pistols, both use .430 with no issues.

I bought a Pedersoli LePage on an auction, but haven't received it yet. It is in .44, and Pedersoli states it takes a .435 RB, but I am going to try the .433's since they are more readily available. Hopefully I can make up for the difference with the patch. I just ordered 300 of the Hornady's, so they better shoot good.

The h & a underhammer pistols use a .433" ball and a Jukar I had took a .440". A .433" would be a safe bet with the right patching.

My old H&A Heritage model rifle was recommended for use with a .433" to .435" ball. All other .45s I've owned did well with either a .440" or .445" ball.

As Hanshi stated,. most H&A underhammers had a slightly undersize bore dia. However all were very accurate some even with .440. As always experiments with each individual rifle may vary.....Mossie

My CVA Prospector recommends a .433 ball with .012 patch. I have both but have not tried them yet. I get the balls from Deer Creek in a nice blister pack of 25 each. No banging together..
DL

My old H&A Heritage model rifle was recommended for use with a .433" to .435" ball. All other .45s I've owned did well with either a .440" or .445" ball.
Remember when you kindly offered to give my Ruger wheelguns a new home. I'm going to reciprocate with " why don't you just sell me that old H&A so I can give it a good home?"....Mossie

Latest posts

Back