More testing with my Remington Genesis and BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWThomas

Reaction score
I went shooting with gobbler getter today and I got a chance to test out the 290 grain Barnes T-EZ with a different sabot. I started out by shooting a 3 shot group with 300 grain .44 cal Hornaday XTP's with Harvester green crush rib sabots. It turned out pretty good for my first shots of the day. I'm very happy because the first shot on a clean bore with 1 primer fouling shot prior is the one closest to the center. All shots were with 100 volumetric grains of BH209 fired at 100 yards.

MLShooting0901103.jpg

Then I fired a 3 shot group using the 290 grain Barnes T-EZ with supplied sabot. Before I fired this group I cleaned off the breech plug and swabbed the bore several times with some solvent soaked patches and then a clean one. I did this for consistancy and because when I hunt it's going to be on a clean bore. I'm pretty sure the first shot is the one on the bottom right...

MLShooting0901104.jpg

Then I cleaned the weapon again and fired a 3 shot group using the same bullet but with Harvester black crush rib sabots. The bullets fit fine in them but they went down the bore extremely easy. I didn't think it was tight enough to use with BH209 and was expecting the possibility of a hang fire. But it fired just fine and the group turned out to be tighter than that with the supplied sabots...

MLShooting0901101.jpg

MLShooting090110.jpg

I was surprised that a bullet/sabot combo that loaded that easy shot so well. I just wanted to report more results with my Genesis and also with BH209.

Nice pics, thanks for the report. My son's genesis shoots the xtp's well also.

XTP's

Don't discount the 300 gr .452 XTP in your load development. I'm using them with Harvester EZ load sabots and getting excellent results. I would like to try them with Blackhorn - If I could every find some.

Re: XTP's

hakx said:
Don't discount the 300 gr .452 XTP in your load development. I'm using them with Harvester EZ load sabots and getting excellent results. I would like to try them with Blackhorn - If I could every find some.

I haven't discounted them, I just bought some .44 XTP's and plan to use them until I run out. I like them well enough and wouldn't be afraid to use them while hunting.

Back