Robert Hoyt barrels

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 50 cal douglas bbl. that Mr. Hoyt bored to 54 and it shoots great. His work is top notch and fair prices, $125.00 plus shipping last year. I included the money order with the barrel. Give him a call, ring long cause he will be working, and call in the earlier part of the day possibly before he starts work.
coupe

Ditto for me. Mr. Hoyt re-bored two Renegade barrels for me to .58 with a slow twist. His work is top notch, and the accuracy of his barrel work is great. Both .58's (one flint and one percussion) shoot better than I can hold.

Well Renegade barrel should arrive today I hope at Mr. Hoyts. Told him to take it from 50 to 54. I shoot PRB and told him to use his knowledge to give me the best twist and type of rifling to give me an accurate hunting rifle.

Do any of you have and or shot a Robert Hoyt barrel that he bored? What do you think of it and his services?
I recently bought a TC Seneca .36 that Bob Hoyt did a re bore to .40 1:37 fast twist to shoot 10mm pistol bullets & cast lead conicals. Prior to buyin this incredible little gem I had heard of Bob Hoyt and his work, but had not had a barrel from him. This WILL NOT be the last of his work that I'll be enjoying. I'm cranking out 1850-1880fps MV using 180gr XTPhp & 80gr T7fff . I am not only impressed as I can be, but I'm absolutely thrilled with this .40 Seneca. You will not regret having Bob do a barrel for you. I already have a Hawken project that if I get it, so will Bob Hoyt. Kind regards

Mr. Hoyt bored my .54 New Englander barrel to .58 caliber. Barrel has rounded groove 1/60 twist rifling. It's very accurate with PRB.

Will send off a .50 caliber Navy Arms barrel to Mr. Hoyt for re-boring to .54 caliber.

What's his turn around time?

Both my buddy and I have barrels that we want to get rebored. His is a 50 caliber Renegade and mine is a 50 caliber New Englander Barrel that was badly pitted when I got it. We both want to go to .54 caliber round ball twist.

We live close enough that we're thinking of taking a ride down to take the barrels to him.

Has anyone ever heard of or tried converting a New Englander to be Flintlock instead of percussion?

Looks like I only live about 40 minutes from his shop. I would like to pay him a visit and drop off a barrel one of these days.
Hiya Hatchet Jack, daggone, you live that close to BH's shop. I didnt know he was in Md. That would have put me around 2 hrs or so from him & you before I moved 800 mi due south. He did an amazing job on this little fast twist Seneca .40 he did. I absolutely love this gun. I always hear about ppl getting their ML's re bored to a larger cal, but I rarely hear of getting a barrel sleeved to a smaller bore dia. Thats something that I'm sriously thinking about doing, Nut I still have lots to learn foist & foremost. Opions & facts on this anyone/everyone plz. TY Its great to run into ya outside of MML HJ Kind regards I miss MD I'm from southern md raised for the most part, but honestly, I loved & miss western Md & its surrounding areas much more.

Like several respondents here I had Mr. Hoyt rework a 50 caliber Renegade barrel into 58 caliber round ball. Wanted more thump for hunting elk in the pinon-juniper jungles. Reworked barrel is more accurate than the original.

Like several respondents here I had Mr. Hoyt rework a 50 caliber Renegade barrel into 58 caliber round ball. Wanted more thump for hunting elk in the pinon-juniper jungles. Reworked barrel is more accurate than the original.
Right on White Fox, I've never, not once heard anything but exactly what you stated. That is amazing in itself Me thinks. I come from the same state but I do not know him, but I'm very familiar with his craftsmanship & quality work at fair prices. Ya just can't beat that with a stick.

Hiya Hatchet Jack, daggone, you live that close to BH's shop. I didnt know he was in Md. That would have put me around 2 hrs or so from him & you before I moved 800 mi due south. He did an amazing job on this little fast twist Seneca .40 he did. I absolutely love this gun. I always hear about ppl getting their ML's re bored to a larger cal, but I rarely hear of getting a barrel sleeved to a smaller bore dia. Thats something that I'm sriously thinking about doing, Nut I still have lots to learn foist & foremost. Opions & facts on this anyone/everyone plz. TY Its great to run into ya outside of MML HJ Kind regards I miss MD I'm from southern md raised for the most part, but honestly, I loved & miss western Md & its surrounding areas much more.
Hey Ninering,
Mr. Hoyt lives in Penssyltucky, I live in Maryland. We both live close to the Mason/Dixon Line. Only about 40 minute drive time between us.
I am considering taking him one of my .50 Renegade barrels and having him sleeve it to a fast twist .45 cal.
Maybe a 1-18 or a 1-20 twist if possible. Would love to have a barrel like that to shoot some 460 grain lead chunks from.

Hey Ninering,
Mr. Hoyt lives in Penssyltucky, I live in Maryland. We both live close to the Mason/Dixon Line. Only about 40 minute drive time between us.
I am considering taking him one of my .50 Renegade barrels and having him sleeve it to a fast twist .45 cal.
Maybe a 1-18 or a 1-20 twist if possible. Would love to have a barrel like that to shoot some 460 grain lead chunks from.
Oh ok, TY for clearin that up for me. I thought he was a Md guy. But I'm very familiar with that whole region . From everything I've been able to learn about a .45 1:18 twist is Knights 500 & from what I've learned about that is that with that fast of a twist & throwin huge hunks a lead long range that out past 500yds is where that gun shines. I would like to learn more about a " Gain barrel " starting out at 1:20 then increase to 1:18 . It really still after all these years of muzzleloading it still thrills me to no end how far muzzleloading has come in my life time & how cool it is to still use & enjoy those old smoke poles extremely accurately shoot big lead long range. I have a cpl projects in mind with an Omega rebuild SML In .357 with whatever twist it should have to shoot only a Fury .357 MZ 275gr bullet to bore. And I want to do the same thing with an old but only fired a hand full of times .50 Hawken and have Bob Hoyt sleeve it to shoot .45 fast twist to shoot heavy lead conicals. I might even talk to Dennis at Fury to build me somethin special for that . Who knows , I love the whole ordeal. I'm gonna put some more effort to learn more about that gain or gein twist & see why more ppl aren talking about it & using it on a ML Platform, but I'm not a gunsmith but I'm a fast learner. Thanks for gettin back with you sir, it's great chattin with ya. I genuinely love the nature of the Mtn folk in that whole multi state Appalachian Mtn region. Kind regards

I had a thick cardboard tube, wrapped the bbl. in bubble wrap used a hole saw to cut end plugs tacked in place. didn't even have to remove the bbl. lugs or sights. waited 3 weeks (at that time) and it came back.

Mr. Hoyt bored out a .50 T-C Pennsylvania Hunter barrel for me to .54 and I was very happy with the work and the turn around time. I hen had him make a 20 ga. smooth bore barrel for me, also octagonal to round. It was a very good price. He left it "in the white" and I blued it, came out pretty good. Then I sold the gun with both barrels.... I sometime wonder about my thinking processes!

How do you prepare barrel for Mr. Hoyt
Now this is just the way my mind works, if I want to know what the horse is thinking, I wouldn't go ask every other critter in the barn. I'd simply go straight to the horse & hear it from his own mouth. Pardon the redneck country boy metaphor, but ya get the point I'm sure.

Back