Daunting scope selections

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooter44n45

Reaction score
So I have this fancy new Accura and this season I will be using open sights. After the season, Im adding some glass to it. My issues are that I hunt in woods and clearcuts. Almost all of my deer have been taken at 75 yards or less, most at 50 or less, one at 3 yards and one at 10, one at 200.

Im trying to do the impossible and get the gun set up for everything from 5 yards to 200 yards. Im planning (if my gun likes the loads) to shoot 300 grain XTP's and 100 grains of powder.

Please let me know what you think of my idea...
Leupold Ultimate Slam
55928.jpg

Burris Xtreme rings
burris-picatinniringtops.jpg

Burris FastFire
4149-VMivIL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

AM I overdoing it?...lol
I know this wont be a cheap setup but it would give me the ability to use the same gun on stands and drives. Its the same idea of see through rings with a more modern and more secure mounting idea.

You might want to look at a Millet DMS scope. I have one on my slug gun and love it. It is a dangerous game scope. 0-4 power. At 0 power it is like a red dot sight in that you can leave both eyes open for a full field of view. Great for charging hogs. 1-4 power works like any other scope. Has a dot in the center that covers 1 inch at 100 yrds. Has a circle around the dot. The inner dia of circle is 18 inches at 100yrds the outer dia is 21 inches at 100yds. Good for range estimation. Has 3 crosshairs, top one is not there. The dot and circle will eluminate red if you want for low light conditions and also stands out great on a black hog. Wish they made it for pistols as well. It has become my favorite scope.

Chief55 said:
You might want to look at a Millet DMS scope. I have one on my slug gun and love it. It is a dangerous game scope. 0-4 power. At 0 power it is like a red dot sight in that you can leave both eyes open for a full field of view. Great for charging hogs. 1-4 power works like any other scope. Has a dot in the center that covers 1 inch at 100 yrds. Has a circle around the dot. The inner dia of circle is 18 inches at 100yrds the outer dia is 21 inches at 100yds. Good for range estimation. Has 3 crosshairs, top one is not there. The dot and circle will eluminate red if you want for low light conditions and also stands out great on a black hog. Wish they made it for pistols as well. It has become my favorite scope.

This was my first choice originaly until I read of a few accounts of it not holding up to excessive recoil. The other negative I read is the glass isnt all that clear. Whats your take on these 2 things and how long have you been shooting with it? I looked at Sworavski's version but thats $2000!

Thanks for the great feedback.
Todd

:shock: I personally think it has good bright optics but have only owned one leupold and that was years ago. Most of my scopes have been simmons. I like that it has a focus adjustment ring on it. That could have been their problem, might have been out of fucus some. I believe that it has a life time warrenty but I would have to check to be possitive about that. I have been using it for a little over 1 year shooting 3 inch 20 gauge slugs from a remington 870. Has a pritty good kick to it with the slugs. I have not personally heard of or experanced any problems with it. When I bought it all I of the reviews I had looked at were possitive about all of the millet scopes. The only thing some people said they did not care for at that time was the scope covers. I would hate to stear you wrong but I like mine. If I did not already have a scope on my 243 I would be tempted to get one for it also because I can get on target with it faster than any other scope I have owned and most of the deer I have shot have been inside of 30 yrds. Did shoot one 3 years ago at 200 yrds. I would get one for my pistol in a heartbeat if they made one.
I went back and looked at the reviews at midway shooters supply. 23 really liked it for the money, 2 did not. I think most people don't bother writing any review unless something gets them mad. Hope I have help you.

Chief55 said:
:shock: I personally think it has good bright optics but have only owned one leupold and that was years ago. Most of my scopes have been simmons. I like that it has a focus adjustment ring on it. That could have been their problem, might have been out of fucus some. I believe that it has a life time warrenty but I would have to check to be possitive about that. I have been using it for a little over 1 year shooting 3 inch 20 gauge slugs from a remington 870. Has a pritty good kick to it with the slugs. I have not personally heard of or experanced any problems with it. When I bought it all I of the reviews I had looked at were possitive about all of the millet scopes. The only thing some people said they did not care for at that time was the scope covers. I would hate to stear you wrong but I like mine. If I did not already have a scope on my 243 I would be tempted to get one for it also because I can get on target with it faster than any other scope I have owned and most of the deer I have shot have been inside of 30 yrds. Did shoot one 3 years ago at 200 yrds. I would get one for my pistol in a heartbeat if they made one.
I went back and looked at the reviews at midway shooters supply. 23 really liked it for the money, 2 did not. I think most people don't bother writing any review unless something gets them mad. Hope I have help you.

You have been a great help and I think I may go ahead and get one. If I dont like it, Im only out $200.00 and I can put it on my AR-15 or something.

Thanks,
Todd

Chief55 said:

You have been a great help and I think I may go ahead and get one. If I dont like it, Im only out $200.00 and I can put it on my AR-15 or something.

Thanks,
Todd

Like the Chief, I was also going to recommend a 1-4X scope.

I just mounted a Leupold 1-4X shotgun scope in low rings on my Omega, and so far, it's been an awesome choice for me.

The low 1X is great for still-hunting through thick firs, and I'm sure if a 150 to 200 yard shot -- at a stil deer that is -- presents itself AND I have a solid rest/shooting position, the 4X will be all the power I need. And the 2X to 3X will be fine for all opportunities in between those two extremes.

Most shooters have trouble shooting offhand or in-the-field at any power greater than 5X anyhow, as every little tremble or wobble is greatly magnified. So I think a 4X is all you need on the top end.

To me, besides the awkwardness of mounting an expensive reflex sight up on top of a scope -- where it will be exposed and vulnerable to numerous bumps and snags -- in my opinion, you're also spending many extra $$$$ that's really not needed.

That Leupold scope at 1X (with the heavy duplex) would be just as effective up close when needed -- again, in my opinion.

But whatever you may decide, good luck with it.

Tight groups!

Old No7

That setup may work O.K., but I don't think it would work any better than just a good quality lower pwr scope by itself. How about a Leupold 1.75-6?

Plus that setup will be hard to fit in a regular gun case, may have to go AR tactical.

Latest posts

Back