Rendezvous trade

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
traded my .45 hawken for a brand new .50cal cva plainsman limited edition flintlock! I have to install an adjustable tumbler so i can reduce trigger pull but i have one of those on hand already. Great little sparker too. I'll post pics late this week as i'll be doing some shooting at rendezvous.

plainsman

Where'd ya do the tradin'? Couldn't been an even-up... or was it?

I've always wanted a Plainsman so i got her finally. It was a straight across trade with a hand shake at the end.

Traded it at the Sante Fe Trail Rendezvous. I also signed up for a week to go do some shooting.

An older gentleman took a younger kid shooting, so i tagged along and watched him explain the Mountain man walk, which turned out to be a lot of fun to watch and even learned quite a bit from that 30 minute adventure. Its been a great 2 days so far, it will get better when i take the ol flinter out to the range.

I'll post'em once i get fast internet again. It has a nice engraving on the side of the lock ( special edition) of a whitetail and the state of PA, gold filled. Im not sure what the gold filling is but i'd like to touch it up some time if i can find something.

PA...my home state which I lived in for 27 years growing up! Must have been used for their special primitive flintlock season which starts the day after Christmas and runs for two weeks. That special season is awesome....it's a real coon-cap and deer-skin outfit adventure in PA hunting the whitetail. Hunters who bag one(buck or doe) during that season get high recognition as a hunter given the fact that the deer have been hunted for 3 months.

went early this morning and the main guy that was supposed to host the Beginner shooters event had to have surgery on a rotor cuff. Only a handful of people shot. I got off 9 shots ( took an hour) and did decent. The flinter did great and didnt give me any fuss.

Tomorrow is a pop can shoot. Ugh, 9:45 in the morning. Looks like i'll have to head to bed early tonight.

It was a great time though, i enjoyed the first shoot.

9 shots in a row with no ignition break?...that's the faithful performance you want to have behind you when you squeeze off and hold on that whitetail!

Rendezvous turned out to be a bust. They didnt make new shooting event scheduels and i showed up early for 2 shooting events i wanted to join and they never happened. Im still pretty pissed off over spending $40 on it and only getting to shoot once. After that i threw in the towel and said screw it. I'll write the head guy an email when i get home and let him know what i thought about my first experience joining up.

I got some pics of the Plainsman today! My brother in law and I will be taking off to the NRA this evening to do some shooting with both the Kentucky and the Plainsman.
100_7874.jpg

100_7880.jpg

100_7879.jpg

Bmer about the event.. that would(should) never have happenned if they would have planned better.

Anyway, nice flinter. What twist does that one have? 1:48?

yep 1:48 twist.

Shes FAST! It amazing the chit out of me on the first shot. It requires very little 4f to ignite the main charge. I was shooting 70gr goex 3f with .015 patch and .490 round ball. My first 2 shots measures 1 1/2" @ 100 yards. My final shot opened it up to 2 1/2". That 20lb trigger is an accuracy killer LOL. I didnt have a screw driver with me to adjust the sights, it was hitting One and a half FEET high @ 100 yards, but damn near dead center. I just took care of the rear sight after cleaning the rifle and it should be close now. This rifle though has really impressed me! I do believe i will be holding onto to this rifle for a very long time. Maybe take it hunting this year?

i have pics and movies of the range day. some pretty funny stuff when i video'ed by bro in law shooting my kentucky. That ol gal prefers a max charge ( 110gr 3f goex ) to hit dead on and shoot the tightest groups. She got quite a surprise when he pulled the trigger. I'll post that movie when i do get home. No way to do it on dial up.

Any idea as to why it ignites with so little 4F? Also, how much does one of those .490 balls weigh, and all they all-lead or lead composites??

Its a nicely set up flinter. As to why it requires so little 4f, thats a great thing! The ventliner/touch hole must be set perfectly for such instant ignition.

The .490 round ball out of my mold weighs 177.8 grains. I cast them from recovered Powerbelts.

A short video of my brother in law shooting my traditions .50cal kentucky. I believe this was his first shot with the rifle. It was loaded with 110gr 3F Goex, .015 patch and .490" Round ball. I did a pretty good job i think at not laughing at him 8)
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZISW2DF6Ga0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZISW2DF6Ga0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZISW2DF6Ga0

newmexico023.jpg

Heres both the Kentucky and the Plainsman resting at the range. I just put in the adjustable tumbler for the Plainsman and got it adjusted to around 3 1/2lbs. The Traditions is set at under 2lbs and uses a lighter weight cva main spring for a smooth crisp pull.
newmexico025.jpg

I hear ya Corey...me too! If I had FG's collection of flinters(and others), I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven. (I'm still fillin' up my penny jar!)

sad thing is, I am selling my sks and going to buy and 243 or 270. no flinter close future.

hoping to find an wood stock.

Latest posts

Back