Remington 700 .300 Winchester Magnum

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
I ended up trading my 6.5 Creedmoor for a .300 Win Mag, I couldn’t get the 6.5 Bug, i own a 7MM-08, and a .308, I have all bases well covered with the 7-08, The Little Creedmoor felt like a Waste of Powder and Time to me :lol!:

Anyway, I made the Trade, We traded Rifles, and Loading Dies, The .300 Was Brand new unfired. The very first thing i did was Order a Bix’N Andy 2 Stage Ball Bearing Trigger and installed it, These Bix Triggers are UNREAL!! I have owned a BUNCH of Timney’s over the years, and 1 Triggertech “Special” edition, They are Not even CLOSE to the same league as these Bix Triggers

My new .300 Win Mag is a Shooter!! :Red tup: Also a BRUTAL Recoiler, on the edge of NOT fun! When i Hang in and do my part, the Rifle lays them right in there :Red tup: A rifle that kicks this Hard can cause problems if you shoot them a lot (Flinching) These are my Handloads of Course (I don’t shoot ANY factory ammo) My bullets are seated .035 Off the Lands, They fit in the Magazine Great, and Function Flawlessly.

Xix9F2jl.jpg

180 Grain load
y5j2EDIl.jpg

165 Grain, 5 shots made 1 Ragged Hole :Red tup:
q9o82FKl.jpg

Chronograph, 5 Shot average for the 165s
Al7djzKl.jpg

Awesome shooting and nice range report! I always liked the accuracy I got with my Remington 700 action.  165 BT's are a great bullet in .30 calibers.  Never experienced the recoil of a .300 Win Mag.  My .30-06 max reloads were enough recoil for me.

I have a Winchester Model 70 in .300 Win Mag...not a fan of the recoil at all, especially from prone position.
I'd rather shoot 425 grain conicals with 100 grains of 2f behind them in my .54 than shoot my .300.
I don't shoot it much, I archery hunt and/or late muzzleloader for elk so just no need (inherited it).  Maybe one day when I can't draw a bow anymore...probably still just use the .30-06 lol. 
You've got a shooter for sure.

A friend who who "stole" my featherweight .270, Ruger .338 win mag and Colt Gold cup .45acp insists on doing most of his hunting with a .300 win mag even though he has others to choose from.  Here is a nice Kentucky elk he took with his.
2017100795081701.jpg

A .300 mag has 26lbs of recoil. It will get your attention. As a comparisn, a 30.06 is 20lbs of recoil.

I got stupid when I was young and bought a .458 mag for grizz in Alaska. It had 62lbs of recoil. It was ugly to shoot but I was young and just laughed it off. I wouldn't now.

I had a .458 mag in the distant past but don't remember much about it except that it was a very nice rifle.

I use a .300 Win Mag for all my rifle hunting from elk down to antelope. I don’t really notice the recoil anymore. Been using the same rifle for over 20 years now.

Some things catch my attention....
The Remington 700 has had some safety issues. You need to make sure that your is not one of "those" or that it has been corrected. Is yours a Rem 700?  I didnt notice a make or model in your post. The Nosler Boattails are not my choice for large game (I prefer the Partition or Accubond) at the velocity your loading to. My 300 performed best with either the 165 grain loaded to 3000 fps or the 200 grain. You are an experienced shooter, hunter and reloader so you don't need advice regarding that, I am merely sharing my experiences. I had to mount the scope on my 300 further forward than other rifles largely due to recoil. This was ended up requiring some creativity with the mounts and rings to get it forward more (could have gone with a scope w more eye-relief). Lastly, I personally had the same results from a 7mm Rem Mag with 160gr Noslers (as far as taking game). That was a different brand rifle, etc so all the differences made for a more pleasant shooting rifle with less perceived recoil. Those groups are fantastic! Depending on what you want to do with it the versatility is there, no doubt. I have many friends and clients that use a 300WM for everything.

Due to the generously high deer limits in my native Georgia, I had the opportunity to use MANY calibers, rifles and a few revolvers to harvest a very great many deer.  The rifles ranged in power from the .22Hornet to the .338 Win mag and 45/70 with heavy handloads; far too many for me to readily recall.  While I owned a couple of .375 H&H mags and a .458 Win mag I never killed deer with them.  My very favorite deer caliber became the .250 Sav.  I own two, an early Ruger M77 and a Savage M99A.  The M77 is probably the most accurate rifle I've ever owned or fired.  It easily averaged .300" for 5 shots at 100 yards.  The M99 was astonishingly accurate although not in the same league as the M77.  With these two rifles I killed truckload upon truckload of deer.  I found the .250 to kill well beyond what the paper ballistics would lead one to believe.  The 100 grain bullet dropped deer like dynamite.  

The revolvers I used were the .44 mag Ruger SBH, A .41 mag (my favorite caliber) Ruger BH, a 4" S&W M19 and a S&W 686.  All of these dropped their whitetails with one (1) shot each.  Bullets used ranged from 125 grn & 158 grn JHP both factory and handloads in the .357s.  The .41 did it's work with either 220 grn cast swc or 210 grn JHP, all handloads.  The 220 grn cast gave 1450 fps with 18 grns of 2400.  Although this load was powerful I felt it was not the best bet for the fragile whitetail deer; on hogs it would be excellent however.  After using both the 240 and 200 grn JHP with H110/296 in the SBH to kill several deer I determined that the 240 worked better in my Marlin 1894 .44 while the 200 grn was deadly in the SBH.  However, my longest kill on a whitetail was with the 240 grn at 90 yards with the SBH.  As everyone might have guessed, i do love to talk guns & hunting.  :shooter:

Before switching to muzzleloaders in 1980 I used a Win 94 in 30-30 for elk, bear, and muleys. I used a 170gr Partition and never lost any game.

I have to chuckle when I see someone using big magnums and they think any less won't get the job done.

As for the Winchester M94, I've killed deer with the 30/30 and rate it as excellent for anything in North America with the possible exception of the two great bear species.  And even with them it will get the job done.  If I had to "pack out light" Id snatch up my 94 30/30 trapper - I also favor the 170 grn - and never look back.

My former father-in-law, back in my Alaska days, swore by his .300 magnum.  He was a bear hunter through and through, had the whole house festooned with bear skins on the walls and as rugs.  This was in the early 1970s, and enough people told him that the .300 wasn't enough for grizzlies that he took the rifle in to Frontier Sporting Goods and traded it off for a .338 magnum.  He told me he shot half a box of ammo through it, then took it back and told Dick McIntire he wanted his old rifle back.  He didn't mind the recoil of the .300 but that .338 was brutal!

I've owned a couple of .375 H&H mags and a .338 sin mag.  I did kill deer with the .338, owned and shot it for nearly 40 years.  It kicks alright but I was always immune to recoil though the .338 wasn't pleasant off a bench.  It had nothing to do with being "tough"; it was just that my head didn't register it.  I shoot big kickers and not be sore until the next day.  The .375s didn't bother me at all.  My 45/70 handload in my Marlin will get anyone's attention.  It's killed lots of deer and they don't go far at all.

I have a 416 Ruger <a href='/tags/1' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #1'>#1</a> that has a hefty recoil but my 9.3x74R Ruger <a href='/tags/1' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #1'>#1</a> kicks much worse for some reason. Im pretty much immune to recoil myself , got a 12 gauge double for my 7th birthday . Only thing I have that I am almost dont like to shoot is my TC Encore 45/70 15" barrel  it stings your hands

OldMtnMan said:
Before switching to muzzleloaders in 1980 I used a Win 94 in 30-30 for elk, bear, and muleys. I used a 170gr Partition and never lost any game.

I have to chuckle when I see someone using big magnums and they think any less won't get the job done.
Had to think the same I now have a Savage Bolt Action 30-30 and like shooting it.

With age seems Smaller is better. Used a .22 Single Shot many years and learned real fast let the Bullet do its work.

oneshot

Hanshi said:
The .375s didn't bother me at all.
With the US Forest Service, Tongass National Forest, the field people who would be working in areas where there were big bears had to qualify every year with either the .375 H&H or 12 gauge with slugs.  I liked the .375 a whole lot better than the 12 gauge; the later would beat my cheek severely!  To qualify we had to put three rounds into a paper plate at 25 yards, in 10 seconds.  Also had to take a number of practice shots beforehand.  It was a piece of cake with the rifle, not so much with the short barrel shotgun (Ithaca or Mossberg)!

~WH~

Winter Hawk said:
Hanshi said:
The .375s didn't bother me at all.
With the US Forest Service, Tongass National Forest, the field people who would be working in areas where there were big bears had to qualify every year with either the .375 H&H or 12 gauge with slugs.  I liked the .375 a whole lot better than the 12 gauge; the later would beat my cheek severely!  To qualify we had to put three rounds into a paper plate at 25 yards, in 10 seconds.  Also had to take a number of practice shots beforehand.  It was a piece of cake with the rifle, not so much with the short barrel shotgun (Ithaca or Mossberg)!

~WH~

Same thing with me.  I eventually got rid of my old 870 12ga.  Very fine gun but too large for me to shoot well and recoil seemed worse than heavy caliber rifles.  I had an SKB auto 20ga that I DID shoot well and would handle magnum shells as well as standard.  A beautiful shotgun, too.  Had to sell it for our move.  Only smoothbore left is my 20ga flintlock.  And to me, the .375 was softer recoiling than my .338.

OldMtnMan said:

I cut my teeth using an Old Winchester Model 94 (Pre 64) 30-30, I killed my Deer with it every year up until I bought my 1st Bolt Action Rifle. I miss that Old 30-30, i wish i had it today. The little 30-30 Killed EVERYTHING i meant to, Never EVER failed me. Typical Kid, I decided i needed a Bigger Gun at about 13-14 Yrs old and gave up on the 30-30 

I have a picture somewhere of my very first deer? (8 yrs old, little spike buck) This is my 2nd deer, i was 9 yrs old here, with my Grandpa. He was my IDOL!! Another BIG OLE MOSSY Horn spike Buck :D 
klVyme0l.jpg

Here you can see my Old Win Mod 94 30-30, And Another Spike buck, but he’s Bigger! LOL! I couldn’t get away from Spikes for the LONGEST Time. I was becoming an old man here, Old Enough to fight and Drive my Knuckles back in my Hand (note the cast on my right hand :D) those were my 1st broken bones, MANY more followed that!! I pay for each and everyone of them nowadays in the form of Arthritis
8YY1UGCl.jpg

Hanshi said:
 And to me, the .375 was softer recoiling than my .338.
You aren't the only one to say that.  I have heard it many times, over the years!

~WH~

Lewis..........Mine was way before 64. Dad bought it for me for Christmas when I was 12. He said to me.........It's about time you started to hunt for elk. I started at that point coming to Colorado with dad and my older brother to hunt for elk and bear. Sometimes muley's but none of us liked the meat.

I used that Win 94 until 1980 when I switched to muzzleloaders. I wish I still l had it. My brother in law came out west to visit and asked if he could borrow the Win 94. He brought it back east and i've never seen the gun since. He was married to my sister and when she died he disappeared. The Win disappeared too.

Latest posts

Back