JC's 2009 monster Non-typical..16 pt's 176" Gross, 171&

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spit,

I told this story elsewhere, although it was in a slightly different context. In the interest of saving me from retyping the whole thing, here was my response.

JC

In response to a question about the picture quality.. I responded..

I have always been a stickler for ensuring that good pictures be captured of any game or fish that I harvest whenever reasonably possible. Along those lines I always try to carry a decent camera in the field. In fact all of the pictures in this thread that were taken in the field, as well as those posted of the ranch etc, were taken with that camera.

The big problem of course becomes the fact that when I harvest game I can't be in the pics, and behind the camera to get the subject matter, angles, etc correct at the same time.

After realizing what a trophy this deer was one of my first priorities I cared to after I harvested it was to ensure that I got it to a qualified taxidermist to be properly capped etc. Given our circumstances, being in the middle of nowhere, that basically meant heading back into Oklahoma City. Fortunately, we would be able to stay overnight at my buddy's house who helped me book the trip and who was acting as my defacto guide.

On the way back to OKC I mentioned to my friend that I would be willing to pay to get a photographer to take pics of the buck before it was processed knowing I would never have the opportunity later. Fortunately, my friend responded by telling me one of his friends is a semi-professional photographer who would probably love to take the pics. Sure enough his friend agreed to meet us and take the pics!

Once it came time to find a place to take the pics I realized that was going to much tougher than one would expect in the late afternoon in the city. As I was trying to pick spots it was obvious to me that lighting was going to be a big problem. When I mentioned this to Ryan, who was going to be taking the photos, his response was..don't worry I brought mine!!...When I heard that I knew good things were coming!

To make a long story short, after striking out in several different locations and looking for close to a half hour for a good location I finally spotted a barn along side the road. It appeared to be located on the edge of some school property so we pulled over to check it out. As it turned it belonged to the landowner next door. When the gentleman saw us stop he cam out to talk to us. After explaining that we would like to take some pictures of this buck, he agreed to let us stop there and do the photo's!

The best part of all this was, Ryan refused to take any money for doing the photo's. Instead we agreed that if I liked them I would just order the prints from him. In the end I actually order several framed prints as Christmas presents for friends family which Ryan makes money off from the printing and framing companies. Meanwhile, Ryan provided me with full resolution copies of all the photos for free, and as can be seen in the photo above did additional editing work as well.

In essence, we both made out like bandits on the deal! Ryan got to enjoy taking photo's of a subject matter he had not photographed before and made some spare cash while doing so, and I was able to get the photo's of a lifetime of my buck of a lifetime virtually for free!

For anyone that wants to see the gallery photo's, many of which are not posted in this thread, they can be viewed here..

http://janryaphotography.zenfolio.com/p ... 71#hb90a71

If you are asked for a password, just use "gotone". Once the photo's open you can click on any photo to open them up in a full size slide show format.

DB

-19.jpg

Hey Guys,

Just got the results of the cementum annuli testing done on my Oklahoma non-typical buck by Wildlife Analytical Laboratories....The results were pretty consistent with my expectations and showed he was 4.5yrs old!

JC

Info on Wildlife Analytical Laboratories can be found here:
http://www.deerage.com/

131.jpg

That is a great 4 1/2 year old. You still may be able to harvest his father or his brother on your next trip out. Anticipations.

Nice setting the way that is set up on a fine deer.

congradulation that is a beautiful buck ..all of your pictures are just awsome clear and well framed [i can see from your smile that you are a proud hunter ] accubond are good bullets i use them also and have not lost any game so far ..

Latest posts

Back