cut vs. button

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
Cut vs. button rifling...which is most accurate?

Cut...right?

If so is the Knight MK85 inherently more accurate, as it does boast the cut rifling.

Someone attempt to educate me...please.

well...

seems you made me do some homework.. :lol:

I would say button rifled simply because that process seems to be the norm. Other than that it really depends on the quality of the process and the steps taken after rifling like lapping to uniform the barrel and de-burr it.

Generally an accurate barrel is rated by how quick it cleans up and how long it takes to get "dirty" A supremely accurate gun that takes 2 hours to clean isnt worth much IMHO..

http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/ba ... el.htm#top

The barrel of choice for the ultra accurate bench rest shooters is a quality cut rifled barrel.

Most manufacturers have gone to the button rifled barrel because they can make a barrel of sufficient accuracy 25X faster (less expensive) that way.

Us mere mortals probably could never tell the differance.

The barrel of choice for the ultra accurate bench rest shooters is a quality cut rifled barrel.

Most manufacturers have gone to the button rifled barrel because they can make a barrel of sufficient accuracy 25X faster (less expensive) that way.

Us mere mortals probably could never tell the differance

You might want to rethink this post. Most top competition shooters use button barrels and spend a lot of time making them right. There are some cut rifle barrels out there as well but the Lions share goes to the Button.

Many of the high power shooters prefer cut rifled. Benchrest shooters seem to prefer button rifled barrels. Which one is best? Who knows? Each method can produce extremely accurate barrels.

I will say that on a production gun, who cares? There are more things that contribute to accuracy than what type of rifling it has. Things like barrel straightness, bore finish, bore diameter consistency, bedding, stock design and composition, have a lot more to do with how accurate the gun is.

Latest posts

Back