Bushnell red dot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badlander

Reaction score
Does anyone have one of these or ever used one? Curious on how red dots actually work, looked thru a friends Bushnell red dot scope and asked him the same question, what if when shooting the dot is off from center abit, either from you not being set with your cheek down or just shooter error. Can't use powered scopes here so thought this might be an option. Thanks

I have RED DOTS. Bushnell Trophy models to be exact. I had them on two different muzzleloaders. One now is on a revolver (and for how much longer is a good question) the other is sitting on a shelf. Get the picture.

They work fine when it is sunny and your within 75 yards. I could shoot some very impressive groups with them on the range. I was so impressed with them I stuck one on a Knight Wolverine.

Hunting that fall from a tree I sat there with that Wolverine and RED DOT. As the light began to fade more and more with the ending of the day (and best time to hunt) I noticed the dot grew a half moon tail. But I figured, ignore the tail and use the head dot. Finally after waiting all afternoon a nice doe came into the stand. We had to shoot a does before we could shoot a buck.

So I adjusted the intensity of the dot (which works great), and put the rifle on my shoulder and looked through the 20mm tube. It was so dark looking through it into the shadows, the deer all but disappeared. There was no way I was going to try the shot. Look out of the RED DOT and I could see the deer fine. Had I left the fiber optic sights on the rifle it would have been a dead deer. But because of the way the glass is made and how shadows effect it, there was no way I was going to take the shot. I left the deer walk off and left for the rest of the afternoon and went home. To take and get a different rifle.

If your state is like mine and does not allow scopes with magnification, get a 1x32mm scope. Thompson Center Hawkins, or Traditions models work fine. I also have a Nikon 1x20mm on a White Rifle. Excellent little scope and very accurate on the White.

Want to buy a RED DOT? I think I know where you can get one cheap.

So I adjusted the intensity of the dot (which works great), and put the rifle on my shoulder and looked through the 20mm tube. It was so dark looking through it into the shadows, the deer all but disappeared. There was no way I was going to try the shot.

i've had the same experience with my red dot sights. They are from Cabelas and they were not cheap. Had one on a CVA muzzleloader for awhile. Killed a few hogs in good light with the gun. One evening i was sitting in a stand at a pond waiting for hogs to come in. Had the scope set on its lowest setting.

With 20 minutes of shooting light left; a big doe came in and i drew down on her for practice. At 40 yards i would not have taken a shot at that doe if it had been deer season.

Those two scopes will go away at the community garage sale next month.

red dot

Thanks for the info guys, guess this is one of those items I may have to pass on. Just thought something would be nice on the gun. May have to look at some 1x scopes that have been mentioned, even with the 1x power it may give me an edge over the open sights. Guess for now I may just go out and do some shooting with the open sights and see how all goes.

I had a cheap one mounted on my single six and did not like it. I could not get that sucker dialed in. I do not classify all red dots as bad, i just did not like this one. Only one i ever used.

Same here, had 4 does come in with about 15 minutes of legal shooting light left and decided to take one. Put the gun up and couldn't see the deer through the optics. Opened both eyes and could see the deer fine, but did not feel comfortable with the shot. Took that one off my slug gun and put a compact 4x scope on. It now sits on the top of the safe...

Oh, and the red dots always have a tail for me, due to strong corrective lenses. Cant even use red pins on my bow as they look out of focus. Green works very well, though.

I have a Nikon red dot that has adjustable dot size settings and brightness settings. It worked well in all lighting conditions as long as you adjusted the brightness and dot size as the sun set/rose. I never had a issue with battery life but always kept a spare. I used it on one of my slug guns but am currently thinking about putting it on a muzzleloader.

Latest posts

Back