Possible bullet/conical source

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UC Will they work in a knight 50cal

Do you think the new conicals will work in a elite 50 cal.
What weight and powder loaded might be suggested and are you using a fiber wad under it?

thanks, redpep

They would definitely work but you might need to ask for sizing that is appropriate to your bore (so you'll need to slug your bore with a REAL or Maxi then mic the upper band to find out the size you need). The Elite .50 that I had was .503, Batchief's was .504, and I believe Patrick's Extreme is .503. These bullets would have worked in any of them, just being a bit harder to start in the .503 bores.

As to wads, yes - but you might want to try without first. Vegetable fiber wads at .060 thickness are a good choice. I would suggest the .504 caliber 495 grain N.E.W. and about 70 grains of T7 (FFg or FFFg) or Swiss if you have some. Bullshop could probably size those to .503 if you need them sized a bit smaller (not sure on that).

when you say 495 grain NEW, are you talking about that NEI 373 mold?

No, the NEI 373 mould is a different bullet. The N.E.W mould is from Mountain Molds and should produce a bullet identical to those being made by Bob Bowers (his design), Batchief, and others. Bat's are commonly called the "trashcans" because of their appearance. :D

I'm hoping Dan will post some more pictures so we can have a full display of what's available.

Here's a pic of one of Bob's variety of that bullet
DropDeadRed.jpg
Except for the color of the lube, you could expect Bullshops to look nearly identical. Those have a reputation for shooting extremely well.

I shot two of the Bull Shop .504 conicals again today. Just fired one three shot group with the NEI mould #373 500 grain conicals and one of same with the RCBS mould 560 grain conicals. Was using thrown charges as I had ran out of weighed charges while shooting Bat's bullets (Bull Shop has the mould to make a bullet just like the one Batchief makes). What makes today's effort a bit unfair to Bull Shop (aside from thrown vs weighed) is that I had just shattered my own nerves trying to shoot a 5-shot group with Batchief's bullets. I'll post a link to that target below the other so that you can easily see the heat was on if you look at the shot numbers.

First target - two upper bulls show Bullshop bullet tests:
http://www.missouri-whitetails.com/data ... 041006.jpg

Second target - my 5-shot group and why my nerves were shattered
http://www.missouri-whitetails.com/data ... kGroup.jpg
:(

Some great shootin there UC!!!!

Chief gave me some of his 496 grain conicals to try when we were in Crossville. They really look great!!!!!

Cant wait to try them. Maybe that lil xtra lead(vs my 460 NE's) will reduce the SQUEELING on my next HOG!!! Dont mind a 3-4 hundred yard trackin job but that damn PROLONGED squeeling still haunts ole LOGGY. :lol: :lol:

UC that's some real impressive shooting. Perhaps we will have to get Bullshop to make up a sample pack we can try... :D

I'm sure he would mix you up some of the .504s he's making. Might be a good idea for him and his customers. Looks to me like that 373 is a real shooter also (weighing those loads would have surely tightened that group up some). Pretty amazing to me that the POI for all three of those bullets was so close with that powder charge. Looks like a definite sweet spot for the rifle so far as charge weight.

Let's see...for the .504......
20 496 grain NEWs
20 500 grainers from the 373 mould
20 560 grainers from the RCBS mould (those are 10 grains heavier than I remembered)
20 400 grainers from the Lyman GP mould
20 of the 600 grain NEWs

How would that be for a sample pack? If you like that idea, I'll suggest it to him.

Dont mind a 3-4 hundred yard trackin job but that damn PROLONGED squeeling still haunts ole LOGGY.

I'm not sure Bob's gotten over it yet either... :lol:

Lay off the coffee, UC! :wink:

bullshop ships quick, too. my boolets got here in no time. now i need to go shoot some of em.

Underclocked said:
I'm sure he would mix you up some of the .504s he's making. Might be a good idea for him and his customers. Looks to me like that 373 is a real shooter also (weighing those loads would have surely tightened that group up some). Pretty amazing to me that the POI for all three of those bullets was so close with that powder charge. Looks like a definite sweet spot for the rifle so far as charge weight.

Let's see...for the .504......
20 496 grain NEWs
20 500 grainers from the 373 mould
20 560 grainers from the RCBS mould (those are 10 grains heavier than I remembered)
20 400 grainers from the Lyman GP mould
20 of the 600 grain NEWs

How would that be for a sample pack? If you like that idea, I'll suggest it to him.

That might be a real good idea. Then a fellow could at least have some idea what works and what doesn't. I have many bullets that over the years I purchased only to discover they really did not shoot well out of anything I owned... This way you could find the one you like and then get a large order together..

Dave and others... Dan's reply (Bull Shop the man! :) ):

"Rich
Samplers are no problem. It doesn't have to be a set number of each. I will ship any ammount of any design anyone would ask for at no extra charge. I try to be as custom as possible with my service in every way. BTW I am working on one more design in 45 cal. It is something I had in mind for a design that I think should cover all bases of accuracy, flight characteristics, and game performance. You know I just had to have one with my name on it.
Its getting real tough to get a custom design cut now with MT. Dan and LBT Veral out of production.
BIC/Daniel"

So for about thirty bucks including shipping, you could try 100 of Dan's bullets mixed in any caliber/weight he has available.

UC

What was the size and weight on the white super slug?
That bullet looks real interesting, was it a 45 or 50 cal?

I wouldn't mind trying some of those in a .504. out of my elite or my nef.

You said if there was enough interest Dan might get the mould, are you talking 500 buulets or more than that?

thanks, redpep

Have an updated pic I spliced together using a pic of unlubed bullets that Mrs Bullshop sent me this morning. Bullets are not as clear but this does show currently available selections.

bullshop.jpg

.410 caliber

___ - 385 grain N.E.W.

.451 caliber

___ - 420 grain Lyman 457193

___ - 450 grain Lyman Volunteer

___ - 465 grain N.E.W.

.504 caliber

___ - 400 grain from Lyman GP

___ - 460 grain NE clone TooTall

___ - 500 grain N.E.W.

___ - 500 grain NEI 373

___ - 560 grain RCBS

___ - 620 grain N.E.W.

sizing

Hi UC

Just ordered from BS a mix of .410, .451, and .504 NEW's.
Do I need to specify sizing to him, and if so, what would you suggest?

Thanks
Steve

He will size them to caliber specified (or am I missing your meaning?).

You would just need to specifiy quantity of each bullet type, pure lead, and you might want some with each of #2 and Speed Green lubes just to see if one performs better than the other. #2 lube if shooting true black though.

Might want to try a few of those I have labeled as 460 grain MT NEx also. That's a nice .504 bullet.

Thanks for keeping us updated Rich! 8)

I'm kinda surprised you're not showing us your PVC scope protector and tire-tube scope bra! :D

Back