Need a new 22

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try a 17hmr Loggy they are fast brother and most are tack drivers! Man I love the 17's.

R-man...

My G2 likes the federal 17gr stuff.. what did you get good groups with in your .17?

Rifleman said:
Try a 17hmr Loggy they are fast brother and most are tack drivers! Man I love the 17's.

:) Thanks Dwight.

Bet Spit is spittin....I mean Spinnin around by now with all these outstanding choices!! :lol: :lol:

Loggy said:
Thinkin of a 22 Mag or one of those 17's. What should I get???
Anschutz from CDNN. :lol:

Better yet get 510 Whisper?
cart05.gif

from SSK
750 GR bullet will do the job on any rodent.

Doohan said:
R-man...

My G2 likes the federal 17gr stuff.. what did you get good groups with in your .17?
JJ, is it a pitol or a rifle?

Loggy said:
Rifleman said:

:) Thanks Dwight.

Bet Spit is spittin....I mean Spinnin around by now with all these outstanding choices!! :lol: :lol:

He is Loggy! :lol:

Man, you just need to start a thread everyone can relate to, afford, and have an opinion about and you get LOTS of help! :D

Thanks fellers for the help. I think I'm really leanin toward the CZ's.

Can you really compare the 10/22's with CZ's?

Maybe I should consider other calibers?

22 Mag?, 17 M2? 17 hmr? I'm afraid the 17 won't be heavy enough for the occassional fox or yote. What do you guys think?

So many calibers and so little money! :?

Hey Spit...

Don't underestimate the .17HMR. In my opinion it would do far more damage than a .22 lr on a yote. Esp if you used some of the 20gr XTP's out now.

Cz is the way to go as far as bang for the buck. For almost the same $$$ you could go .22 hornet or .221 fireball in a Cz as well.

Cz certainly has all the varmint calibers covered!

22 Mag?, 17 M2? 17 hmr? I'm afraid the 17 won't be heavy enough for the occassional fox or yote. What do you guys think?

It really depends on the range. Coyotes can get pretty big, just ask Loggy! :D I think the rimfires are all not more than 100yd guns. 100yd energy from the HMR/.22 Mag, essentially the same, around 134ftlbs. Now the .22 Hornet, 200ftlbs/200yds. Most would say the Hornet is a 150yd coyote gun.

I'm just a .22LR fan. Cartridges are available EVERYWHERE...they're CHEAP too! If you want something to SHOOT..get a .22LR. If you want something to shoot coyotes, get a centerfire.

Good advice there Chuck. I aint sayin what I shot my lil yote with but it was just a tad more than a 22 LR! A hint, no additional Whelan heard after the first hit for sure. :lol:

I have since bot a lil 243 Win for yotes, groundhogs etc. The more reading I do on the 17's out there...I think I would closely compare the ole 22 WMR if wishing to stay with a souped-up rimfire. Chuckhawks has an excellent article comparing the 22 WRM to the 17 HMR. With the right gun & Ammo the 22 RFM is certainly another one to consider. It has an energy delivery edge out to 125-150 yds over the 17HMR. I better stop or I will talk myself into one!!!!! :lol: :lol:

I'll probably be laughed at for this one, but I wouldn't necessarily overlook the Marlin bolt actions. In college, I had a 922SS (.22 Mag) that would consistently shoot MOA to sub-MOA groups right out of the box with a cheap Tasco Pronghorn 3-9x40 scope, using Remington Premier with the VMax bullet or the the regular Remington load with the 40 grain pointed soft point.

Had to sell that gun during law school to pay for prenatal care for our first child. :(

The Savage Mark II,bull barrel 22 is very accurate out to 50-75 yards, depending on the brand of ammo and is an inexpensive rifle. I own one and it will shoot 1" or less to those distances. For better accuracy I would go with the CZ bull barrel 22 if price is your main consideration. I would agree with others that 22 ammo is very inexpensive, including the match grade stuff.

I also am the proud owner of the new Savage 93R17BTVSS, 17hmr,thumbhole vented stock,stainless bull barrel with accu-trigger. Man am I ever impressed with this rifles accuracy, sub-moa at 100 yards using the Hornaday Vmax 17 gr. bullet. Ammo is relatively inexpensive, $8.95/box at Gander for 50 rounds. Considerably more velocity than the 22magnum and if you don't think that Vmax bullet is devastating, take a look at Varmit Al's website and see what it does to prairie dogs.

I don't believe the 17hmr would be suitable for coyotes unless you took head shots at ranges of 75 or less. Here in Indiana that is entirely possible and I plan to find out for myself. 8) A more acceptable cartidge might be a 223. You could buy a Savage or a Stevens to limit the dollars and the ammo is everywhere and cheap, or you could handload.

Check this Savage site,http://www.savageshooters.net/SavageForum/index.php and see what kind of accuracy
these Savage/Stevens centerfires are capable of. They shoot right up there with the custom rifles. :D

CORVAIR said:
I also am the proud owner of the new Savage 93R17BTVSS, 17hmr,thumbhole vented stock,stainless bull barrel with accu-trigger. Man am I ever impressed with this rifles accuracy, sub-moa at 100 yards using the Hornaday Vmax 17 gr. bullet. Ammo is relatively inexpensive, $8.95/box at Gander for 50 rounds.

93r17BTVS.jpg

I'm guessing you are happy with yours? :wink:

I talked to a guy at work who has a Marlin in 17 HMR and he loves it. He said that it's a better deal for the same accuracy than the CZ.

Blue-Dot-37.5

I shot the 17 gr Hornady ammo out of the Savage H barrel we bought for the ranch, it was sub moa at 100, and made a couple shots on barn pigeons at a little over the 100 yd mark. Good stuff! :lol:

Now we're startin to mix it up!............ :D

Day 1 of 3rd turkey for me....off work...a little R&R.... 8)

I'll check in tomorrow..........

You betcha Randy! This is now my favorite rimfire. :D :D

Spitpatch, good luck with the turkey hunting. Our Indiana season opens next wed. and myself and huntin buddy are ready to "rock and roll".
Might even take the 17 and play a little.Course there are always those wonderfull morel mushrooms to search for. :wink:

I think whatever your choice in a rimfire, you will be happy with it. Rimfires are great fun and a cheap way to shoot, as well as being great small game or close range varmit getters.

Hey Corvair!

Thanks for wishing me luck!! It WORKED! Check out my bird on the Turkey hunting thread. :D

Spitpatch said:
Hey Corvair!

Thanks for wishing me luck!! It WORKED! Check out my bird on the Turkey hunting thread. :D

That's a beautifull bird!! Congratulations!
Now if only I can get one, season starts next wed.. Did find about 20 yellow morels yesterday around a dead elm w/slipping bark!
Morel season is just getting going here
in Indiana. Are there any Reo's or Merriams in Iowa?

CORVAIR said:
Spitpatch said:
Hey Corvair!

That's a beautifull bird!! Congratulations!
Now if only I can get one, season starts next wed.. Did find about 20 yellow morels yesterday around a dead elm w/slipping bark!
Morel season is just getting going here
in Indiana. Are there any Reo's or Merriams in Iowa?

Only Easterns that I am aware of. :)

CORVAIR said:
The Savage Mark II,bull barrel 22 is very accurate out to 50-75 yards, depending on the brand of ammo and is an inexpensive rifle. I own one and it will shoot 1" or less to those distances.

Here's the factory fired test target from my MarkII-BV Accutrigger:

savmkii.jpg

.40 in. @ 100 yards is amazing, as far as I'm concerned, from a bargain-priced factory .22. That'll work. 8)

Back