Need a new 22

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
Please give recommendations for a 100 yard MOA 22....action not important, accuracy is.

Also what is your favorite 22 ????

My modified 10/22 can shoot right at moa from 100 yds. .22lr MOA at 100 yds is a tall order. Wind really plays a factor at that range.

There are countless options out there from:

Winchester -
Remington -
Anschutz
CZ
Savage
T/C
Ruger
Cooper
Kimber

A price range you are looking in would certainly help. What do you want to do with it? Just punching paper at the local club, plinking, or hunting??

I would look at these 4 brands the strongest:
CZ, Kimber, Cooper, Anschutz. Not necc in that order. The CZ is the cheapest and will shoot right with these others. But rifles are always risky when the accuracy standard is high. You pays your money and takes you chances.

The Cooper would be my first choice...but lets admit, that gun is in a whole seperate league..

Cooper 57-m
lvt_big.jpg

The Cooper would be my first choice...but lets admit, that gun is a in whole seperate league..

Cooper 57-m

You are correct about THAT! Anschutz sure has a great reputation though and I really don't know how the new Kimber is doing. I do know my Kimber of Oregon 82 out shot the last Anschutz that came around!

Thanks guys, I got to stay under the $300 figure. I am rather fond of the CZ look. How about single shots or break actions? Any good ones?

weel, not sure if its MOA at 100 yds, but my favorite .22 is my first rifle: ruger 77/22, stainless with the awful skeletonized "zytel" stock and a cheapo tasco 4x scope. it is accurate enough for my purposes out to 75 yds. when squirrel hunting, i can guarantee head shots w/in 50 yds. when using remington subsonic ammo (ok, more like 15-25 yds. for offhand). :D

the trigger is too stiff, but im thinking about putting one of those timney sear kits on it (one day . . . ). the only gun i have fired more than this one is my smith/wesson 422 auto pistol . . . but i bet my percentage of hits with the 77/22 is exponentially higher.

i will say this about the ruger 77/22. its built and it feels like a centerfire rifle. it makes a difference, even if it isn't any more accurate than a savage. just makes for a nicer rifle. i liked it so much that the only other bolt actions i own are rugers.

If you are looking for a break action, look at the T/C G2.

You can get it chambered in .22 Match and they are very nice litte guns.

I have one in .17hmr and they are great litte guns. Plus you can change barrels on them like the encore............

As someone else said, that's a tall order fore a 22 rimfire; a 5 mph wind at 100 yds will give about 1.5 MOA deflection. Considering $300, I'd look soley at CZ's and pick the one I liked the best. In my rimfire experience, ammo has a BIG impact on accuracy. There's lots of good info. over here:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php?

Spitpatch said:
Thanks guys, I got to stay under the $300 figure. I am rather fond of the CZ look. How about single shots or break actions? Any good ones?

Spit, it will be one of the best $300 investments you ever made in a gun. I bot my second CZ about 2 months ago...a CZ 97B 45 ACP. Same thing....oustanding quality at an affordable price.

Well I do things a little different :roll: I use a 22 for shooting AT running rabbits I do this almost everyday for several months.I like an auto and my choice is a Remington fieldmaster.open sights, it is really fast will handle LR.Long and shorts. I don't do any paper punching except to sight in. I know this is not what you want but it is my choice.
Ken

I shoot rimfire metallic silhouettes in a weekly league. For the money, nothing touches a CZ. If you've got more cash to spend, then you get an Anschutz. I've also seen a Cooper do very well.

I have shot 5-shot groups of 1.25" at 109 yards, outdoors, with my CZ and PMC ammo. I have the training rifle.

Posted Range Results in Duplicate...so removed first post.

Here are some results with some longer range shootin I did with my CZ 452 American 22 LR. Scope is Weaver Classic RV 2.5-7X28. Ammo was the CCI Velocitor 40 grains HP(Speer Gold Dot Bullets). My CHRONY read was 1,432 approx 3 fps slower than CCI's chart(Speer Gold Dot Bullet). Man, do those Velocitors boogie!

My two best 100 yd groups measured a little under 1" which was the best group i ever obtained with a 22 LR at 100 yds. First group was 5 shots and second group was 7 shots. Shooting was on 7X off of sandbags. At 50 Yds this gun with Velocitors cut consistent 5 shot ragged holes (all shots touching).

The CZ American 452 LR is the best shootin 22 I have ever owned and its performace with the hot Velocitor load was something I never expected. This ones a keeper for sure! The 452 American was my first CZ gun and 2 months ago got a CZ 97B 45 Auto as mentioned.

5 Shot 100 Yard Group:

DSCF0117.jpg

7 Shot Group

DSCF0119.jpg

That is great looking rifle (and groups) Loggy.

Spitpatch, I know that it is more then you want to spend but CDNN has Anschutz on sale (starting $699). If you download catalog it is in page 9.

Thanks Nug & RMan.

I have a Cabelas Xmas Gift cert from my Daughter plus if I spend over a certain amount at a Cabelas Store will get another $30-$100 Cabelas Bucks, plus have Cabelas Club Points accumulated...I'm thinkin I can walk away with another CZ 452 for almost free!!! :lol: :lol:

Thinkin of a 22 Mag or one of those 17's. What should I get???

Who the heck started this Thread anyways??? :lol:

Latest posts

Back