Reduced muzzleloader speeds/accuracy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyencore

Reaction score
Is there a certain speed that a bullet needs to travel at to stabilize properly? I am looking for a good load for my daughter to hunt with this year. She will use either a 200 or a 250 barnes. Looking for a speed for expansion and accuracy. Here is her rig. She is pretty proud of it.

golf015.jpg

Try 60 to 80gr of bh209 it shouldn't kick bad with those light bullets.

Oooooh cutie pie eh? I hope you got yourself pink camo..... Oh wait i just saw that you said its your daughters :ss:

I'd say a 200gr shockwave or better yet, a 195gr barnes with 70-80gr blackhorn209 will do the trick out to 100 yards.

Yip just find the sweetspot of the rifle with low loads , like MN and FG said 70 - 80gr with a light bullet wont kick much .

crap thats a .45cal sabot deal. What a bummer.

Looks like the sst or maybe even an XTP would be in order.

Oh, don't let the dress fool ya. That Encore is a stone cold killer. I had it cerakoted last year. That coating is tough as nails. Highly recommend it.
I appreciate the feedback. I think Sydney can handle 70 grains. I would prefer the 195 Barnes if the Encore can group them. You guys have a great weekend.

I found in my rifles anyway the 50/40 sabots and 200gr bullets dont group very well, the 250gr bullet with 70gr of bh209 shouldn't kick bad.

If your using the barnes being all copper they are probably longer than lead you might be ok with the 50/45 sabot but if not try the 225gr or you could use the 50/44 Harvester and a barnes 200 or 225 xpb and they should work great.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Just my luck, starting to get the itch to shoot and a heat wave hits Louisville. Mid to high 90's for the weekend. I'm still gonna shoot, just not nearly as enjoyable.

Tony that's the kind of temp we put up with here in my neck of the woods on a daily basis !

I talked with Toby Bridges & his wife was shooting a 240 grain PT Gold on top of 70gr of BH209 with very good results

Thanks guys. I'm gonna try 70 grains and prob the 240 pt's or the xtp's. We will see if the Encore likes them. Hey Greg, does your Apex like 110 gr over 100? I'm shooting Sst and Barnes 250's.

Tony.....my Apex likes 110gr most of the time, but with the PT Gold 260's in a CR sabot, it's 100gr & 1/2" groups at 100yds

Thanks Greg. Tried 100 grains with SST's last night. Got acceptable accuracy (1"). Will try 110 tonight. Gotta order me some 260 pt golds. I have to admit, the kick is much different with the Apex than the Encore. Not nearly as much muzzle jump. The Encore with 70 grains did OK. About 3/4-1" at 50. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Good luck. Get your PT 260's & sabots from Carlos & just FYI......some guys are claiming their Apex M/L's don't group well until they shoot 120gr BH209

120? That'll knock my teeth outta my skull! To tell you the truth Greg I was hoping to find a load that shot very well that closely matched the drop on my CDS turret. It's a 250 grain Barnes at 1850 fps. I hope she likes 110.

tony how old is your daughter, my encore seems a bit heavy for my 12 year old was thinking of a knight littlehorn. but don't know.

Back