Bullet choices...dizzying at best

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GWSmith

Reaction score
Any advice on Bullets for Whitetail???
So far all I have shot out of my new muzzleloader is 295gr. Powerbelt HP's.
I've went to the Cabelas site and "Compared Muzzleloading Bullets"
...and I'm sure there are alot more out there to choose from too.
Any help in narrowing down the wealth of information would be appreciated! Thanks!!!
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...+Tooth+Belted+Muzzleloader+Bullets&hasJS=true

There is no concrete answer to this question, it depends on what your gun likes. The only way to find that is through time at the range. However, what gun are you shooting deer with? Other users may be able to share their pet load with you for a particular gun.

Gary, is there a bullet that doesn't work? You already know my answer on this one. NOPE!
Some of this is so subjective. What range? What charge are you sticking behind it? Might you ever try that "texas heart shot"? --referring to the need for deep penetration.
Let's face it, if you are hunting deer in Florida you don't need a bullet that you may use let's say hunting in Sask Canada where the average deer is 100 more.
I bet 90% of my shooting will be under 75 yds. Yours may be close to the same, maybe not depending if you hunt in West Virgina at the ranch.
I want a bullet that shoots where I put it reliably. I would like a solid lead bullet due to it's expanding capabilities at low velocities. Do I need to make my gun a sub shooter? Probably not.
With so many bullets and sabot configurations experimenting will be the way to go. Does a pricier bullet make it better? Maybe at long ranges but I bet not at ranges under 100 yds for harvesting whitetails. Bear might be a different story. You are bear hunting with me this year right?
Shooting well or should I say consistantly, loading easy and harvesting fast is what I am looking for. Trying several at the range is what is going to determine that along with placing the bullet on the target in its intended place.

Here's a couple suggestions.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=224132

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=776746

You'll have to order sabots for these bullets. Contact Del Ramsay at: (870) 741-5019 You'll need 2 bags of sabots per box of bullets.

For the top bullet (.430 dia 240 gr. XTP) I'd recomend the Standard Green sabot. The HPH green sabots would probably work pretty well too.

For the Bottom bullet (.452 dia 250 gr XTP) I'd recomend HPH 24's.

http://www.mmpsabots.com/

90-100 gr of Powder and you should get some decent groups. You probably will want to fire a full package of conicals (like Powerbelts) out of your gun before trying these. It seems to me that rifles shoot better after being broke in a little. You won't break in a barrel with a saboted bullet though. If you order the two bullets I suggested and the sabots you'll have 200 rounds to get familiar with your rifle and likely one that shoots well enough to hunt with.

Thanks Patrick...I surely will check them out!!!
Well here's what I came back from the gun shop with today...and they'll be shot tommorrow if possible:
TC Sure Fire Sabots 230gr. Jacketed HP = $6.39 per20
Hornady Sabots .50 45/250gr. SST/ML = $9.00 per20

I've ran 16-295gr. Powerbelt HP's through the gun already so this should give me another couple choices to look at downrange performance.
I'm shooting a CVA Wolf .50 that measures 22-5/8" inside barrell length from the face of the breech plug to the crown.
Reccomended powder charges for these bullets/barrell length????

I said 90-100 gr. The lowest I'd go in a light bullet like that is 80. Generally between 90-110 is going to be your best accuracy range. I know you said you were shooting a CVA and I'd stay at 100 gr of loose powder max. That'll keep you inside the manufacturer's recomendations.

Out of the bullets you got I've only shot the Shockwave. The other I've not shot nor heard anything about it.

Bullets & Charges

As a rule of thumb, barrels under 24" FFFG Pyrodex or Triple 7 are my perferred BP substitues. Choose a good hunting bullet, Hornady XTP's & SST's, Barnes MZ Expanders or Spitfires are my top choices. Choose only a couple to start with, too many choices = too many variables. Remember your trying to a group, you can experiment with other choices later. Now back off from that 100 yd range and start shooting at 50 yds and drop your load down to 65 grains of powder and see how you do. Take the bullet that groups the best at 50 yds w/ 65 grains and increase your powder charge by 5 grains until your groups start to wander and you will have worked up a load for that bullet. Then start shooting other bullets and working up load for them and you WILL find the load that is most accurate for your rifle.
When I first started, I started with 3 50gr pellets of pyrodex because it was said that that was what the rifle could shoot. I could get 2 shots grouping and always had a flyer. Then i started learning that you don't need that heavy of a charge. My Encore shoots many different loads, but the most accurate is a TC Shockwave 200gr (hornady sst) over 70 grs of 777 FFG. Three shot groups and one ragged hole 90 % of the time. BTW, Triple 7 is about 15% hotter than Pyrodex.

GW, you'll save yourself some significant coin if you buy the XTPs in bulk, same for the sabots.

Underclocked said:
GW, you'll save yourself some significant coin if you buy the XTPs in bulk, same for the sabots.

WOW...I see that!!!
Not exactly what gun shops tell newbies is it :roll:
I know a couple people who are going to be buying their bullets and sabots this way from now on 8)
Thats why I came here...Great Advice...Thanks 8)

Re: Bullets & Charges

skamaniac said:
As a rule of thumb, barrels under 24" FFFG Pyrodex or Triple 7 are my perferred BP substitues.

I checked out the owners manual that came with my CVA rifle.
On page 6, section G - Propellants it states that fffg(commonly called Triple"F") It is to be used in all percussion revolvers, most single shot pistols, and most of the smaller (under .45 caliber) rifles.
Also on page 8, section I - Reccomended Loading Data - Table 1
It reccomends that I use ffg or equivalent pellet for my rifle with the bullet choices given.
My rifle is Magnum load capable according to the serial number, the one piece barrell construction, and the designation of "Magnum" on the barrell.
I just dont feel right about using something thats not reccomended.

You'll be alright GW.
I bet CVA only recommends that you use "their" clean cupplies too! :wink:
My bet is that once "we" harvesst our first deer, I said that because I have t he perfect funnel picked out for both of us, (shooting gallery) and have shot about 10 lbs or so of FFg we try a pound or two of FFFg. I think the reduction is 15-20% less if using FFFg than FFg
LOL

Well...The 230gr. TC Sure Fire Sabot Jacketed HP with 90gr. FFg did a 1-3/4" 3 shot group today...Lot's of good pic's are soon to follow :wink:
My shooting Definitely could be better.
I had the video camera setup and when I watched it after getting back home I saw myself punching the trigger :oops:
Snappy...dont make Happy :oops:

Here in Colorado we cannot use sabots, scopes, or pelletized powder during muzzleloading season. So my load is a bit different, but I feel quite effective. It is as follows:
370gr. T/C maxiball
85gr. Pyrodex P
Remington Kleenbore 209 primer

I use a CVA Kodiak .50 and this load will give me 2 inch groups at 100 yds. with open sights. Not bad at all in my book. Like it has been said, all rifles are different and will like different bullet/powder combinations. Good luck and keep us posted.

Fin, My buddy ADKhunter(Dave) uses open sights right now and he kicked my butt :oops:
I think he nailed a sub-1" group yesterday using his Omega and Shockwaves...while I was busy trying to paper train my scope :oops:
I'm sure he'll be here sometime today to rub it in....Figured I'd beat him to the punch :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah GW I suppose it's all what you get uesd to. I have a set of TRUGLO Muzzle Brite fiber optic sights on my CVA. I put the fiber optic ghost ring on the rear and I have to say I really like it. It seems to me that I'm more accurate with the ghost ring than I am with the standard rear fiber optic site.

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

We both shot well the other day. I am looking forward to reviewing the tape to watch my trigger squeeze.
I decided to shoot some round ball out of my Omega with a 70 gr load.
Talk about accurate. I was thinking that it might just strip through the rifling but heck. I was shoting 1 1/4" groups at 50 yds with open sights. I'm game with that. We did notice that POI was the same with just 50 gr of BP.
I am looking so forward to the next time we get out. But this next time I want to shoot at 200 yds and of course with open sights. :wink:

Hey Dave...How'Bout those pic's???
I thought you did a better group than that :wink:

Wait...I got a couple pic's of someone with his new Omega...LOL
DavesOmega0023.jpg

DavesOmega0062.jpg

I wish I shot better and will in the future for sure but let's just wait for the real shooting to begin. Both our guns are still being broken in. They will get better for both of us.

Back