Bedding question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finaddict

Reaction score
I just received my Savage 10ML-II Stainless/Laminate on Monday and I have not had a chance to shoot it yet. What a beautiful rifle. With that being said, I'm not new to muzzleloaders and have been shooting black powder for about 2 years now.

My question is this, do you think it would be wise to have my 10ML-II fully glass bedded? Would it help the accuracy? I know it would be difficult to judge considering I haven't shot it yet, but I think it would help overall.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Shoot the sucker! I wouldn't DARE bed it without shooting it. You could be wasting your time.

I agree with Big6x6. It may shoot great right out of the box, if it doesn't then modify one thing at a time. Many are quite happy with the factory accuracy.

big6x6 said:
Shoot the sucker! I wouldn't DARE bed it without shooting it. You could be wasting your time.

Ditto, you need to establish a benchmark first.

First I try some bullet / load combinations to find your best load.

If you need to tinker, I'll start with the barrel. Check to see if it's free floating. That is a pretty easy fix.

Next I would look at the trigger pull, again a easy fix with a new Savage.

If you need to tinker, I'll start with the barrel. Check to see if it's free floating. That is a pretty easy fix.

I did check to see if the barrel was free floating and it is just fine. I haven't had the chance to play with the trigger pull yet that will come in time.

One of the reasons I was thinking of glass bedding was to keep the POI from shifting after I remove the bolt. I know the trick of marking the screw and setting the marks to line back up when I put the bolt back in. I just thought it would keep the POI the same if I had it bedded.

I take a slightly different view, but it is hard to argue with waiting from the financial perspective. From my point of view, a properly bedded action and free-floated barrel will NEVER make a gun less accurate than it was before, which is why I elected to do mine. To argue otherwise is to say that play in the action and contact on the barrel are good things, which we know to be false.

Having said that, the gun may shoot better than you right out of the box. If you like piece of mind, then have it bedded.

I'd have to agree about shooting it first. I have one Savage that shoot sub MOA that is straight factory without mods yet. :wink:

From my point of view, a properly bedded action and free-floated barrel will NEVER make a gun less accurate than it was before, which is why I elected to do mine.

True BUT the converse is true as well...that is that properly bedding a poor shooting rifle will rarely transform it to a sub moa rifle. By not shooting a rifle BEFORE doing any modifications means one really doesn't know where the starting point WAS.

1. How did the rifle shooting BEFORE I started tinkering with it?
2. IF rifle is a poor shooter BEFORE I starting tinkering with the rifle and the rifle is NEW..the maker PROBABLY has some type of expected accuracy warranty. AFTER tinkering...will rifle maker still honor warranty? I wouldn't.
3. Did the tinkering IMPROVE or DEGRADE accuracy and how do you know?

One of the reasons I was thinking of glass bedding was to keep the POI from shifting after I remove the bolt

Just some food for thought, the Savage EZ Tool is what I use so you don't have to remove bolt to clean.:idea:

I realize that there are times when there is no way around it.

Hunt 4 Bucks
Just some food for thought, the Savage EZ Tool is what I use so you don't have to remove bolt to clean.Idea

I purchased the EZ Tool so I won't have to remove the bolt nearly as often.

Do you think I'm worring to much about my POI shifting?

I have not had any substantial POI shifting. I am careful to return everything back to my reference marks, but I also use a torque screwdriver to set the same torque also. It is sort of a double check.

A quick way is to shoot a test group. Then remove the bolt and return it to your marks. Shoot another test group and compare POI?s

Hunt 4 Bucks said:

I have not had any substantial POI shifting. I am careful to return everything back to my reference marks, but I also use a torque screwdriver to set the same torque also. It is sort of a double check.

A quick way is to shoot a test group. Then remove the bolt and return it to your marks. Shoot another test group and compare POI?s

I don't use a ez tool either and just return the screws back to same position as before. Sub MOA all day every day. :wink:

Too bad you guys dont have one... Believe me.. worth EVERY PENNY for the EZ tool RV.
Savage should offer them with every gun.

Doohan, why are you holding a shotgun in one hand and carrying a limp calico cat around by the tail in the other? :shock:

DSC01905Small2.jpg

Back