New Rifle to try

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cayuga said:
I also most wonder if this was not an attempt by CVA to bridge a traditional rifle with some inline qualities. This rifle does not lock down with a wedge pin. Instead there is a locking lug through the bottom of the stock, like my other inline rifles. Also the excellent sights on the rifle, a real trip from the old fashion CVA standard field sights. And this rifle is drilled and tapped for a scope mount. Perhaps a nice red dot scope would be in order on this since I have one laying around.

I'd bet your right. It sounds like it gives inline features without the inline ignition.

Nice lookin gun there cayuga plus really fine lookin stock!!!

My guess is that it will be a great conical thrower. I previously owned the CVA Firebolt (my first in-line) and a CVA Optima Pro. Both guns served me well & were extremely accurate.

Sure fun buying all these neccessities!!! :lol: I too am soon in need of additional storage facilities for my expanding inventory! :lol:

Loggy said:
Sure fun buying all these neccessities!!! :lol: I too am soon in need of additional storage facilities for my expanding inventory! :lol:

Same here. My safe is full. :(

Unfortunately, due to a spill on the ice last week, I injured my left shoulder. This could be considered my new ice dancing routine. I looked outside and it was a beautiful day, 49?s and bright sun, but very windy. Also the back yard was an ocean of ice from all the melting snow. So common sense told me to stay inside, away from the ice where it was safe.

Good thing my mother always told me I had no common sense.

7558f109.jpg

Although this is only from the 30 yard station, shooting one handed off a bag rest, the rifle ignition was flawless. The trigger could definitely use some work. It has to be about nine pounds I would guess. When the wing heals more I will take a look at fixing or smoothing that out a little more.

The 320 grain R.E.A.L. conicals seemed to be flying. I was shooting them with 70 grains of Goex 2f, so next time out, I will kick the powder charge up and put a wonder wad under them to see if I can not make them behave.

The 245 grain Ball-et made by Buffalo Bullet company show some promise. I think a lot of the group was caused by me trying to get used to the trigger. I was shooting them with 80 grains of Goex 2f and not swabbing between shots. I noticed, this is a tight barrel. You have to be careful even swabbing the bore or you can get a wet patch stuck. Patch size with this rifle is very important. Of course it is new and time will smooth a lot of that out. If it don't I will.

I then got out some 300 grain Hornady XTP's with their own sabots and noticed it was going to be next to impossible to even load the things, so we put them away. No use fighting the rifle with one arm tied to your side. I then got out some Harvester Crushed Rib sabots and some of the Speer 454 Casull .452 diameter 300 grain GDHP (Gold Dot Hollow Points). I kicked the powder charge up to 85 grains to see if it would bring the groups down a little and was kind of pleased with the group it shot.

A better trigger, and a better address of the rifle, and I am sure I can make this one shoot real well...

Have you considered Maxis or pouring your own minnies? Or even powebelts?

I confess the second time I had to hammer the buffalo bullet down the barrel I vowed never to start a third one.

I have about three hundred 370 maxi ball around the house and a lot of other conicals. I just took out some stuff today that I figured would be easy to load because of the injury to the arm and not wanting to strain anything.

The buffalo bullets loaded hard when I did not swab but they did load. I was surprised that they were as accurate as they were.

The R.E.A.L.s were a real let down. I really thought they would shoot better. It could have been because the trigger pull was so stiff, and they were the first things I shot. Also the powder charge might now be right, so I have a lot more testing to do. I do want to lighten that trigger so I will contact CVA and ask them how it can be done, or take it to a gunsmith I know.

Also I did have to swab with the sabots. I did load two in a row without swabbing and knew that I would never get a third one down the barrel. I have some powerbelts and will be trying them once I get used to the trigger and break the rifle in a little. I hate to waste them at this time because of their cost and the possibility they might make a real good hunting load...

btw, my tracker carbine had a very tight bore as well. i think it was mainly that the bore had very tall lands. the rifling is (was) advertised as "deep groove." the lands were very tall and had very visible machining marks. one time i tried to load one of the old remington lead conicals in it . . . didnt happen. i couldnt get past the second band on the bullet. had to pull it back out with a pair of pliers. sounds like yours might just need some breaking in time. :D

also, as i think i noted previously, the trigger on my tracker carbine, like your rifle, was very stiff. :( not sure if there's an easy repair for that, especially considering that the sear is probably made of very soft metal.

mine also had those drilled holes for scope mounting. but the barrel was only 21". sights were adjustable, but kind of goofy. the front sight was a bead, whereas the rear sight was a square notch. :think: they didnt go together very well, IMO.

n8dawg6 my sights are the same way. I have thought about putting a nice peep sight on the back or a good fiber optic sight set up and turn this into a stalking rifle for the deep woods where shots are under 75 yards. Even a red dot crossed my mine. I have a chance to get a Winchester Red Dot (made in China and nothing to do with Winchester other then the name) which is a 40mm and a 3 MOA dot. That is all that would be needed.

I was shooting it yesterday again, with some maxi ball and it shot fine, just high and to the left a little. Although on the clean barrel it puts the first shot dead center in the bull. It has done this both times to the range now. I am going to try swabbing the rifle with a patch and bore brush next time, and then a cleaning jag and patch and see if cleaning out the grooves might make an accuracy difference with it.

I also sent CVA an email last night and already received an answer from Dave Meredith the manager of their customer service department. In my Email to them I discussed the fact the rifle was new but so old and the bad trigger pull. He explained there are CVA rifles in someones inventory all over the place, new in the box. As for the trigger pull he suggested I mail them everything but the barrel and they will check the rifle over and adjust the trigger pull for me. I thought that was very nice of them to offer that and was very pleased with the fast response from them.

We are having an all out blizzard here today with over 10 inches of snow on the ground already... And a lot more coming by the looks of it, so I don't think I will risk driving to town to mail the rifle out today. It can sit on the rack a few more days..

Thanks for the reply. They have been a great help.

n8dawg6 said:
cayuga, whatcha bidding on now? :D

I was bidding on a NIB .54 caliber Thompson Center Hawkins, but the person paid the asking price and took it. That's all right, I have four of them, but if I could have got it cheap enough, I have a nephew that has an interest in hunting. Actually I bought this rifle with him in mind, but I decided I like playing with it too much. I have another older Hawkins on the rack he can use/have if he behaves himself.

Wolf_River_Mike said:
Is that rifle a hooked breech? When I started out shooting muzzleloaders (late 70's) CVA's were still using the drums. I knew a bunch of people that misfired on deer with those rifles. Just curious.

They call it a "button" breech or locking breech like the Thompson Center but not really hooked. So far the rifle has hooked up perfect, and the ignition time off the rifle is excellent to say the least. I have shot over 50 rounds through it in the last two days and the ignition is flawless and fast. My main complaint is the hard trigger pull which I will be addressing soon.

Most misfires with the traditional can be traced to bad cleaning habits and poor nipples. If the rifle is kept clean and free of crud, and the nipple is a good one, normally the rifle will fire. If your not sure of it, them I sprinkle a few grains of powder under the nipple and replace it. Then I am 99.9% sure the rifle is going to fire when I need it.

yoyodoc said:
Have you considered Maxis or pouring your own minnies? Or even powebelts?

I confess the second time I had to hammer the buffalo bullet down the barrel I vowed never to start a third one.

I do pour my own minnies. Maybe this will be the rifle that will shoot them well. I think I will pour some of them and see if a low powder charge and them will work. They do not work too well in most of my rifles.

I have some powerbelts to try out of the rifle but have not shot them yet. I am waiting for a trigger job so I can give them a true evaluation. I think they might be a great shooter out of the rifle.

cayuga, word around the campfire is that you're now a white owner . . .

:yeah: :yeah: It's all Underclocked's fault. I am not responsible for my actions with this one. It was an impulse buy. I even tried to wait long enough to give the store plenty of time to sell them all off, but just my luck there was one in the back room.

It is a .504 caliber White Ultra Mag which according to Underclocked is a M97 with a few extras. It has a stainless steel barrel, and gray laminated stock, case and the whole works.

I've always wanted one. And I guess it was my time... Am I exciteted? :yeah:

i think that's an impulse buy you can feel good about. :D those m97 ultra mags look pretty sweet, especially with all of the accessories. and ya cant beat the price.

ironically, you'll probably get yours before my super 91 comes in. lord only knows when doc will have mine ready to go. i'm a little envious that you got a stainless rifle for LESS than i paid for a blued one . . . but i had been wantin' a super 91, and blued 91's are pretty much all that's left.

I was always going to get a Super 91.. that was my plan. That's because they had the double locking lugs and the longer barrel. Well this Ultra Mag with the longer barrel, the double locking lugs, and the double safety is close enough. Also with the three ignition systems, it makes it a go any State kind of rifle. I was glad when Underclocked told me about them and then on the other hand it was not what I had originally planned on getting. But I can adapt. Also my timing was a little off since I just bought a rifle and am in the process of ordering another one .. a custom flintlock. Maybe I might hold off on the flintlock for a while.

Cayaga
I ordered one of those White Ultra mag yesterday, Laminated version
Seems like a good buy. Did you get that 20+inches of snow?
Ken

Redclub said:
Cayaga
I ordered one of those White Ultra mag yesterday, Laminated version
Seems like a good buy. Did you get that 20+inches of snow?
Ken

30ba6414.jpg

This was taken at 5:00 pm approximately, long before the snow ended. I measured a spot in the yard that was not a drift and it said almost 29 inches. So today I spent four hours working the snow blower to clear enough off the patio, the shooting range (of course) and around the buildings so I could get the plow out. That also included shoveling off the roof of my wood working shop because there were some snow drifts up there almost five feet deep. Far to much snow should it turn warm or rain. That roof was clear before the big snow. But heck this is March, we always get a monster storm or two in March. I can remember riding snowmobile one year the first of May still, after a big storm.

d1954d01.jpg

I really think these are going to be great rifles. I've always wanted a White rifle, but just never got around to getting one. Well we got that taken care of now...

Good luck with your rifle. Keep me posted of any loads that work for you.

Man them southern boys (below WI.) don't know what fun snow really is :lol:
I haven't any idea for a load for
the White, some say no excuse, don't even know where to get them. It will be fun to play around.Like you I have my own range right out the door.
Ken

http://members.aol.com/noexcusesb/page2.html that's the URL for the No Excuse Conicals. I shoot them all the time. The person who owns the business is a great guy to do business with. I have some of the 460 grain but intend on getting some of the 495 also in the near future. Also check out the White Forums there are some bullet makers there that might be able to help or suggest some loads. I was told 75 grains of Triple Se7en and a No Excuse Conical.

Back