Scope mount ???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VENISONEATR

Reaction score
I submitted this question to Leupold last week and haven't heard anything back from them :roll: I have a customized Mauser 98 I want to mount a straight tube (30mm) scope on the gun. I'm using Warne med. quick detachable rings. The span from ring to ring is pretty long and it turns out the front ring is gripping the tube right where the obj. lense is oriented within the tube. I was advised to tighten the ring screws to 30 in./lb. I'm worried about the obj. lense during recoil. The gun is chambered to .358 Norma and is fairly light. The scope is mounted as far forward as possible. I do not want to use extension rings and will use a different scope and forget about the straight tube deal all together if need be. I am considering this set-up for a dangerous game hunt. What do you guys thinkA? Yea or Nay???

DSC01911Small.jpg

DSC01912Small.jpg

DSC01913Small.jpg

That's a European-30 1.25-4X30, RIGHT? Leupold says that there is 2.1 inches of ring mounting space on that scope in front of the turret. So I'd measure 2.1 inches starting at the turret and if the ring is foward of that, I'd do one of two things:

1. Get an extension ring for the front. Really NOT a bad idea.

2. Leave it alone and shoot the crap out of it. If you are able to put 40-50 rounds thru it and the scope/lens holds up, it will probably always hold up! If it DOESN'T Leupold will fix it..

Whatcha think?

I'm thinking I'll have to forego the asthetics and go with the extension base. I'm not sure if this is a large ring or small ring Mauser... It's the only I have so I have nothing to compare it too... :cry:

Is installing front extension base is right way to go? I always thought that there is more chance for extracted case to catch front extension then rear. Jim is going to use this gun for dangerous game. If rear extension is not an option he may not be able to use this scope at all.

I doubt if that is a issue at all cause the extension base only sticks out about 1/8" or so.

I ordered the extension base... a steel Weaver style, for a large ring Mauser. I hope it fits.

I don't think your extension base is going to be a problem at all. By looking at the rifle, I think there's more than enough room to accomodate the extension base with zero hangover. It'll be close.

I'd be afraid to torque down on that thing that close to the objective lens. Honestly, it'd probably be fine on a light-recoiling rifle, but that gun looks light in weight.

Go with the extension and then check for any problems in a fast shooting/reloading scenario before you have to find out in the field.

Well I decided to go with the extension base. I heeded Dwight's advice and made darn sure function was flawless with the extension base. I will be practicing rapid fire and manipulating the bolt with the rifle still on my shoulder until my hand is a calloused blur :!:
I've opted to use the Leupold European as a back-up scope and the S&B Zenith as my primary. It turns out I needed the ext. bases for the S&B as well. Here's what they look like on their new mounts:

DSC01917Small.jpg

DSC01919Small.jpg

DSC01921Small.jpg

WOW! REALLY nice looking scope there Jimmy! You are starting to get as bad as ME! Looks like that extension base worked like a champ!

big6x6 said:
WOW! REALLY nice looking scope there Jimmy! You are starting to get as bad as ME! Looks like that extension base worked like a champ!

Yep. You are right Chuck. He becomes a scope junkie. :lol:
Ask him what else he got.
Jim, where is a review?

Back