Ready For Ohio UPDATED!!!!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pat Allen with a few Scotch in him. :shock: :D

09adbdae.jpg

f8fbe703.jpg

8473a7ac.jpg

8a3a8434.jpg

c7bbfc9c.jpg

e0e785b5.jpg

05d30eda.jpg

This group here made it all possible for us guy's to have a great time. JJ'S wife Sarah is a faboulas cook. I mean no words could describe how good the food was. Everyone there know's how picky i am. :) And also the hard work she put into bringing stuff back and fourth from home. JJ, Your Dad is awesome man. What a pleasure to meet him and shoot with him. A first class guy for sure. :) And thank you JJ for making it all possible. PA and Ohio swap hunts are in the near future. And dont leave with out JON. :) And JJ's son is in the pic as well. I see a future hunter for sure. 8)

ae233b15.jpg

Thanks for posting those AWESOME pics there Grouse! Just looking at them helps me re-live it! What a FANATASTIC time! Outside of my cheek being a little sore I made it completely un-scathed! I DO know I shot more shotgun shells in one day than I ever imagined possible!
I also shot more different GUNS in just a few days than I probably ever have in such a short time!(Thanks JJ, Tom, Pat, and Jimmy!) Man Jimmys 28ga and Pats .410 were SWEET! But I do admit to falling absolutely in love with JJs Beretta!Xtrema! I'm betting I'll have my OWN before next year! :D

All the sporting clays and the pheasant hunting was great as well as Sarahs FIVE STAR cooking but it would have been nothing without all the great people that attended; JJ, Sarah, Big Al :D, JJs Dad, JD, Nug, Grouse, and Pat. What a GREAT group! People like this group are what it's all about!

And probably NONE of it would ever be posssible without this message board, Modern Muzzleloader. Special thanks to Patrick for doing the work to provide us with such a great site!

I'd like to thank this guy...

DSC01905Small.jpg

Some might say I'm crazy to drive 1200 miles round trip to go shoot a few pheasants, but it's not really about shooting pheasants... It's more about meeting some people who share a common interest. It's laughing and joking and creating relationships. That is a wonderful thing. And when you can spend a couple of days with complete strangers and leave with friendships forged in laughter and comraderie it is special. I would also like to thank this wonderful website and the people who make it a reality for it is a source of much enjoyment for myself and many others. I am proud to be a part of it!!!

The Faces Of Modern Muzzleloader

DSC01884Small.jpg

DSC01889Small.jpg

Thanks JJ and family and to all who enjoyed it with me.

Jimmy

Great post VENISONEATR :)

I never went on paid pheasant hunt before. After going on this one, i see more in the future. :) The guides showed up around 8:00am Sunday morning to take us on our Pheasant hunt. We left the club and went about 1/2 mile down the road. One of the guides opened the back of his truck up and there they were. Pheasants, Pheasants, and more pheasants. I must admit i got pretty excited.

So the guides started loading the pheasant boxes on the Quads and off they went. We broke up into two groups. The first group was me JD,big6x6,and nugbuk. The second group was Indianahunter,Doohan,and VENISONEATR.

My group was the first to leave. nugbuk's dog got on point right away. Guess who shot first. :lol: Ya it was me. I smacked a Hen right away. 8) It didnt take long for nugs dog to be in action again. I think 6x6 smacked the next one. It was a pretty nice rooster. Then Jon smacked another rooster. So far this Dog is really doing great. Then we are coming near the end of the field and the dog goes on point again. nugbuk's turn to get one now. He smacks one and up comes another. Wow he got a great double with the birds flying left to right. We all four walked out of that field with at least two birds. At the end of the first hunt, nugbuk's dog did an AWESOME job. I did miss a real easy shot in that field but we wont talk about that. :oops: :)

All the guy's met back at the trucks and showed off there Pheasants. I believe we had around 23 on the first hunt killed. I thought that was great. Being that nugbuk and VENISONEATR both brought dogs we decided to switch dogs. So VENISONEATR now joined my group and nubuck joined the other for the second hunt.

We started into the field and the dog got pretty excited. There seemed to be a pheasant running around real close to us. We made are way down a little and sure enough to roosters went up. 6x6 smacked the first one and VENISONEATR shot the second one. Wow that was great. I'm just relaxing on this hunt. I want everyone to get one before me on this hunt. We went down about 50yds and the dog goes on a solid point. Okay Jon it's your turn. Well he made a great shot on a Hen. That was great. We walked about 100yds and got three birds already.

I remember VENISONEATR saying this was the first year for his dog hunting. You would of never known that if you would of hunted with his dog. It was AWESOME as well. So it's my turn and it didnt take long for the dog to find me a nice rooster. It went up and i took care of it pretty quick. The rain started moving in and it was getting harder on the dogs to scent the birds. On this hunt we shot 10 of the birds and left two behind. I think we were all getting tired and ready to pack up and head back to the Trucks.

We get back and Indiana hunter starts bragging about his long shot on a Pheasant. :lol: And we all start showing off our birds on my truck. We all now start heading back to the lodge. The guides took all the pheasants back and cleaned them and packaged them for us to take home. Boy that was really nice. I believe we all took 6 Pheasants home each. I thought that was great. What a great hunt with a great bunch of guy's.

Thanks for all the kind words! I too REALLY enjoyed the weekend, It was one of the best EVER!

From shooting pistols in the back yard Friday night, to sporting clays, dead-eye Chuck on his multiple 4th shot wonders while playing "Annie Oakley", to the wonders of 2 new friends ( Nug and Jimmy ) and their GREAT bird dogs, Flikka and Herbert!

A big thanks to Patrick for bringing us all together with Modern Muzzleloader!!!

Here are a few of my pics from the weekend..

Picture051.jpg

Picture047.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Picture043.jpg

Picture048.jpg

Picture054.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Picture070.jpg

Picture064.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture038.jpg

Picture040.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture036.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Picture034.jpg

Picture060.jpg

Picture057.jpg

Picture053.jpg

0793e7ff.jpg

Picture065.jpg

I am thinking of having another shoot ( clays ) later this year... If anyone from the board is interested.. let me know. It sure would be great to get to know more of you. Maybe a Saturday shoot or something. Seems to be alot of people here within 4-5 hours away..

See you all in Crossville!

Doohan

Heck,,,I wasn't even there and I had a blast just reading this! Great pics! Thanks for sharing,,guys! That's what it's all about... :wink:

JJ,,,do you ever NOT smile from ear to ear?? :lol:

Hey JJ I'm ready to shoot a few more clays as we speak....My shoulder is still sore but I'll get over it....I'm looking forward to using that 28ga now that I've figured it out..... Just say the word.....

I'd like to join the next party if work schedule permits. I've got a couple of "annie" loads........ :lol: And a funny looking Model 12 ga to shoot them too! :shock:

Probably less than 3.5 hrs. from here depending on the traffic (and POlice!)

Blue-Dot-37.5

I would be interested. I am only 20 minutes from Wapa. I have a few interesting guns to shoot also.

For those that responded to our hunting/shooting trip Thanks. :D 8) Getting together in the off season to shoot and hunt a little is a blast to say the least.

I might as well talk about our sporting clay's adventure awhile. :shock:
The course we were shooting proved to be pretty difficult. I do believe JJ shot the best round at 32 out of 50. That doesnt sound that great but it was. This course seemed pretty hard for the rest of us. We shot between 22 and 27 out of 50.

All the stations proved to be a challenge. Alot of stations you shot 4 times. I dont remember to many times when someone was 4 out of 4.
Some stations i walked off just hitting one out of 4. :oops: :D Even with the makes and misses shooing the sporting clay range was alot of fun. And was a great warm up for the Pheasants.

After shooting sporting clays we headed over to the skeet range. This is were all the bullets seemed to go. Between me and big6x6 we shot over 25 boxes of shells. :shock: Way more then we expected. JJ got a game together and we played Annie Oakley. Boy what a blast. big6x6 ruled this game. He found a shotgun he really likes. Any one who know's 6x6 know's what that means. He will be buying a new shotgun sometime in the near future. :p Saturday proved to be a great day and alot of fun shooting those little clay birds. :)

Hard to believe I've never even been anywhere that even HAD sporting clays! Boy am I hooked NOW! That was So much FUN! I was thinking at the MOST I would shoot 4-5 boxes a shells. Man..What was I thinking! I know Tom and I shot thru two cases of 12ga shells THEN we shot some of those reloads THEN we shot a box or two of JJs shells THEN I shot Pats 16ga and .410 some and Jimmys .28ga...I would have never BELIEVED I would shoot that many dang SHELLS! I really can't explain how much fun we had! To say I had a BLAST in no way reflects how much fun I really had!

big6x6 said:
To say I had a BLAST in no way reflects how much fun I really had!

I agree!!!! I've been thinking about it all week, I had a really great time. And the people enjoying it with me made the experience even better. I swear it was like we were all old buddies for many years. I can't wait for Loshbough now :D

Grouse said:
For those that responded to our hunting/shooting trip Thanks. :D 8) Getting together in the off season to shoot and hunt a little is a blast to say the least.

Tom, that's what it's all about...Anytime you can hook up with like minded people and shoot in March its a good thing. We have Hogs and Turkey in April so we need to work on something for May :lol:

Chuck:

If you think rifles are pricey, don't look at Sporting Clays/Trap/Skeet guns (the O/U's that is) With names like Perazzi, Kreighoff, Beretta and others, you can drop a serious amount of $$ in a hurry! Since you like the small gauges so much, Perazzi has a matched 4 gun set (12, 20, 28 and .410) for somewhere near $300,000.00! (for the set, not each :lol: )

The Back Forty Sporting Clays shooting range is 1/2 hr. from the house. They have 2 courses set up and they usually change each course once a month or so just to keep things interesting.

http://www.backfortysportingclays.com/

Shotgun shooting is where a progressive reloader is almost mandatory if you do any amount of shooting. When I lived out West I used to shoot between 500 to 1,000 shells a week.......

Blue-Dot-37.5

Latest posts

Back