REDFIELD REV and REDHEAD MOUNTS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ky9pointer

Reaction score
i ordered my new scope and mounts. i ordered the 3x9x50 scope and cant wait to get it in the mail and pout it on my gun and fire some rounds down range!!!

Hope you like it. I've got a few 2-7x33 with the AccuRange reticle & I LOVE them! I'm just hoping that they send you the right mounts so that big objective will clear the barrel!

I also just bought a 2x7x33 Redfield. It's the 3rd one i've had, and I never had any problems with them.

Just curious. What is your thinking on getting the 50mm?

Muley said:
Hmmm why ya curious? Does it matter to anyone besides you that he bought a 50mm scope? Not that I can see....... :roll:

Omega45 said:
Muley said:
Hmmm why ya curious? Does it matter to anyone besides you that he bought a 50mm scope? Not that I can see....... :roll:
I reread my post again. Yup! I wasn't talking to you.

Omega45 said:
Muley said:
Dude, chill out. He is asking a question to probably gain some knowlege or insight for his own use and benefit.

Sam

Most guys get the 50mm vs. a 40mm because they believe that they will gain some additional light transmission and brightness with it.

I'm not an optics expert, but have really been looking at scopes lately and everything I read generally agrees that if two scopes are EXACTLY identical, but one a 40mm and one a 50mm, the 50mm will gain you some light at dusk/dawn to the extent of being able to see better at about one magnification power higher than a 40mm will give you.

Other than that, the biggest issue is the quality and clarity of the glass.

A good 40mm may be clearer and brighter than a poorer 50mm.

Some guys, like a friend of mine, get the 50mm just because they like how it looks.

Thunder53 said:
Most guys get the 50mm vs. a 40mm because they believe that they will gain some additional light transmission and brightness with it.

I'm not an optics expert, but have really been looking at scopes lately and everything I read generally agrees that if two scopes are EXACTLY identical, but one a 40mm and one a 50mm, the 50mm will gain you some light at dusk/dawn to the extent of being able to see better at about one magnification power higher than a 40mm will give you.

Other than that, the biggest issue is the quality and clarity of the glass.

A good 40mm may be clearer and brighter than a poorer 50mm.

Some guys, like a friend of mine, get the 50mm just because they like how it looks.
I brought this up in another thread, but i'll touch on it again. If you have two scopes. One 3x9x40, and the other is 3x9x50. You will gain some more light coming in the 50mm. The problem is your eye can only accept so much light, and the 3x9x40 already is giving you more light than your eye can use. So, the extra light from the 50mm just goes to waste, and you have to deal with a scope that's mounted too high.
Now, if you had more magnification than the 9x. The 50mm would help. Like maybe a 4x14x50. You could use the extra light then.

Ya see Muley you ridiculed org57's post about his 50mm objective he had his thread deleted. No need to reply.

he was just asking why he chose a 50mm is all, lets not make it a huge issue guys. I love the 44mm scopes but 50mm i felt was a good deal bulkier. Nothing wrong with them either way, just get a scope size that fits you and you're good to go.

Omega45 said:
Ya see Muley you ridiculed org57's post about his 50mm objective he had his thread deleted. No need to reply.
I didn't ridicule him at all. I was trying to help him, but you read into a post what you want to. You always have.

btw..The thread is not deleted.

Since there has been so much talk about 40 mm scopes versus 50 mm scopes and light transmission, by some people, I will put me two cents in, and I'm not a scope expert by any means, but I will tell you what Leupold explain to me a few years back about scopes and light transmission, and here is what they said and explain to me in simple terms.
A scope which is a 3x9x50 does not transmit any more light than a 3x9x40 as long as it has a 1" tube, the 50 mm will give a larger field of view but that is all. If you want more light transmission then you have to go to a 30mm tube, and the way they explained this to me in simple terms, was like this. Take a funnel and it does not matter how big of a top it has on it, it could 50 or 56mm, but as long as the bottom spout is 1'', it does not matter how much sand you pour in it, only so much will pass thru the 1'' spout, but if you take the same funnel and change the spout and put a 5'' spout on it and pour sand in it, you will get more sand going thru the spout. That is the way Leupold put it to me and the way I have been explaining to me customer all along. So there you go. I know every one can't afford a 30mm scope and they are expensive, I myself will use the 1'' tube scopes on some ML's and I'm happy with them, but my main guns all have 30mm scopes on them, to get the most light early in the morning and late in the evening, and if can afford one I strongly recommend you do so. My two cents.
Carlos

Omega45 said:
Ohh Master Surfer sorry. He just deleted his question!!! I read into you questioning a guy for having a 50mm scope. He asked for help as to the caps hitting the barrel not your vast experience in optics.

Here is the link for Sammy.
http://frontiermuzzleloadin.forumotion.com/t3573-scope-hits-barrel-removed
He was having a problem with his scope caps. My motive and my answer was that he wasn't gaining anything with the 50mm scope, and his problems would be solved if he had a smaller scope to put it on. I was trying to help, and completely on topic.

Like I said. You read what you want into a post.

cvilorio said:
Since there has been so much talk about 40 mm scopes versus 50 mm scopes and light transmission, by some people, I will put me two cents in, and I'm not a scope expert by any means, but I will tell you what Leupold explain to me a few years back about scopes and light transmission, and here is what they said and explain to me in simple terms.
A scope which is a 3x9x50 does not transmit any more light than a 3x9x40 as long as it has a 1" tube, the 50 mm will give a larger field of view but that is all. If you want more light transmission then you have to go to a 30mm tube, and the way they explained this to me in simple terms, was like this. Take a funnel and it does not matter how big of a top it has on it, it could 50 or 56mm, but as long as the bottom spout is 1'', it does not matter how much sand you pour in it, only so much will pass thru the 1'' spout, but if you take the same funnel and change the spout and put a 5'' spout on it and pour sand in it, you will get more sand going thru the spout. That is the way Leupold put it to me and the way I have been explaining to me customer all along. So there you go. I know every one can't afford a 30mm scope and they are expensive, I myself will use the 1'' tube scopes on some ML's and I'm happy with them, but my main guns all have 30mm scopes on them, to get the most light early in the morning and late in the evening, and if can afford one I strongly recommend you do so. My two cents.
Carlos
I'll have to disagree, and you must have misunderstood what Leupold said. A bigger lens does not give a bigger field of view. It lets in more light.

I can prove this by these specs. Look it up.

Leupold VX-3.... 3.5x10x40........Field of view @100yds........11.0-29.8 ft.

Leupold VX-3......3.5x10x50.......Field of view @100yds.........11.0-29.8 ft

Muley said:
Way more scope than a ML needs. Got anything smaller?

The most important thing with scopes for me is to mount them as low as possible. Can't be done with a 50mm.
Here is a Leupold 3-9x50 in high Leupold rings on my Green Mountain 54-120 Brush gun. Scope just misses the barrel, perfect for me.
brush068.jpg

Muley said:
cvilorio said:
Carlos
I'll have to disagree, and you must have misunderstood what Leupold said. A bigger lens does not give a bigger field of view. It lets in more light.

I can prove this by these specs. Look it up.

Leupold VX-3.... 3.5x10x40........Field of view @100yds........11.0-29.8 ft.

Leupold VX-3......3.5x10x50.......Field of view @100yds.........11.0-29.8 ft
Take it up with Leupold, not me. No I did not misunderstand Leupold, but since you are such an expert at it and like I said I"m not, give them a call and explain it to them, I'm sure they will be more than glad to listen to your expertise. Hell they might even revise their whole line of scopes and do away with the 30mm scopes.
Carlos

Read up on what the parts of a scope do, and you'll see the 50mm lens is not being used by your eye. It lets in more light, but your eye can't see it. The human eye can only see so much light.

His question was how do I fit the lens caps? Not, how do I fit the scope. The further you mount a scope from the barrel. The more problems are created in sighting it in, but some guys think bigger is better. That only works with women.

Latest posts

Back