A Good Range Day.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cur_dog

Reaction score
Shot the Disc Elite this weekend. Wow, is there a bullet this gun does not like?

I shot 13, 3 shot groups. All were at 50 yards using 100 grains loose T7 and Win 209 primers, 3x9x40 Swift Scope(thanks Chuck). I shot Powerbelts(348), Platinum Tips(260), Partition Golds(260), Gold Dots(250),
Shockwaves(200 and 250), Hunterman's bullets(HP and Blunt 280 gr.), Deadcenters(220), Extremes(300), Sabertooths(?), Speer soft points(.429 240 and 270). I know this was at 50 yards but for a beginner I was real happy. Worse group was 1 1/2" MOA. The best were 1/2" MOA. The best were the 200 Shockwaves, Partition golds 260 and Hunterman's 280 Mag tip. Mark makes some nice boolets! I think all these groupss could be better.

I used Windex with Ammonia to swab between shots followed by 2 dry patches(thanks Sabotloader). I want every shot to be like shooting the first shot on a clean barrel. trying to not do a fouling shot. Think this is going to work.

Looking at some digital cameras so I hope to start posting pics of the targets and then some hogs soon.

Question, If a group is 1 1/2 inches @ 50 yards does that make it a 3" plus group @ 100 yards?

The Knight Disc Elite just shoots a variety of bullets very well. Better then any ML i ever owned. You got yourself a keeper for sure. 8)

Yes I think it's a keeper too! I plan on shooting 100 yards next time. Just kind of taking it in steps so i can isolate any problems as I go. It was a lot of fun shooting all diff kinds of bullets. Thought it was interesting that all 13 groups had a diff POI. None were really the same. It was nice just shooting and not messing with the scope.

So far, I have not had any problems with the crud ring I have read so much about. Is this something that comes and goes with diff powder runs?

I wouldn't expect you to have crud ring issues because of the swabbing you are doing. And some rifle/powder combinations just don't seem to develop the ring.

Knights with the FPjs don't really develop a crud ring. At least none of the ones I've had have done it. This is 2 Extremes and 2 plunger guns and one TK-2000 (plunger also).

Knights with the FPjs don't really develop a crud ring

My Elite and XT do not either.

Patrick, isn't Knights new domed plug suppose to help also. I have not got one yet, so I can't say for sure.

I have used both, this weekend I used the original. I guess I'm different but I like the original better. Could not tell any diff with accuracy. The reason I do not like the new plug is the hole is way to small, get fouled really easy IMO and I it seperates my primers, almost domes them. Also, no diff in crud ring, again IMO

Patrick, isn't Knights new domed plug suppose to help also. I have not got one yet, so I can't say for sure.

No it's for blowback only.

The reason I do not like the new plug is the hole is way to small, get fouled really easy IMO and I it seperates my primers, almost domes them. Also, no diff in crud ring, again IMO

Really? Which primers are you using?

Cur....glad you finally got the chance to shoot the 200 Shockwaves. I knew they would be great! Now try the 245 Barnes Spitfires. :D
Good shootin'

Patrick, I'm shooting the Win 209 primers. IMO I think it has to do with the small opening in the breech plug. I do not notice it when i used the original breach plug. I read some where else that someone else had the same problem. I'm going to keep using both plug as I test. When I finish this box of Win primers I was going to try the Rem. Clean bore primers.

Thanks Spit, the 200 shockwaves have shot great all three times i have shot them. The spitfires ar eon the "list"

WAY to GO CUR! Keep shooting and keep giving us a report! 8)

cur_dog said:
Patrick, I'm shooting the Win 209 primers. IMO I think it has to do with the small opening in the breech plug. I do not notice it when i used the original breach plug. I read some where else that someone else had the same problem. I'm going to keep using both plug as I test. When I finish this box of Win primers I was going to try the Rem. Clean bore primers.

That's odd. That's what I'm using. :? Did you happen to check and see if you had metal shavings in the hole? I did in both of the ones I recieved. Maybe there's a stoppage?

I was wondering that too. I was thinking about drilling the hole just a little bigger. That would also help in cleaning it. Think it would hurt the purpose of the domed plug if I made the hole a little bigger?

Side question, are the sabots that come with the Platinum tips HPH-12 or 24's?

I don't know if drilling it our more would hurt it or not. I doubt it though. I'll let you know after I shoot the one I modified. One of mine got drilled out to 1/16th the other day. I couldn't find the right bit to clean it out and I drilled it out the the smallest bit I could find. If you try it, don't drill out the flash hole.

HPH24's I believe. Mine shoots best with HPH 12's but it's a bit harder to load.

okay, dumb question on my part but which end is the flash end? :oops:
Your not drilling out the entire length of the hole?

I like the early results I'm having with the Win PT. I know you like them and Chuck does too. I bought 2 boxes. Heard they are going to stop making them. :(

That's the really small hole in the barrel end. You do not want to drill it all the way through. What I did was use a .05" allen wrench (which fits the small hole) and get the depth to the flash hole. Then I marked the bit at the depth I wanted to stop. I think there's 3/16" of flash hole in the end of the plug.

They're still making the platinum tips, they're just not going to sell them for muzzleloaders anymore. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Thanks, I'll look at that when i get home.

Midway has boxes of 30 w/sabots for 18.40 I think.

Back