Finally got to shoot PRB's @ Strychnine

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Well i finally set every thing aside and decided I really need to go shoot some PRB's. So I gathered up the the old Renegade 50 cal and the shooting boxes and headed north. My first stop was at the Palouse Ranger District - see if I could get logged onto the government computer system... It took awhile and a few phone calls but got it done. From there head east to Strychnine Creek and one of my favorite shooting spots - Strychnine Gravel Pile.

The shooting day started out terrible... the gun has not ben shot since last July and my ability to use an open sight even though it were a peep sight really raises some questions.

What I was really trying to is to do was learn where I need to set the elevation of the peep sight for the different ranges. If you have a Lyman you know you can push a button and move the elevation up and down at will. I set the target up at 75 yards and moved the peep from zero elevation to line one on the elevation scale. Held a 6:00 hold on the orange target dot, I fired the first 3 shots...All three were low under the target dot.

I then moved the peep to the second elevation line and shot another 3 shots. They were clipping the bottom of the target dot.

Moved one more elevation line and repeated the test. These were high over the target dot and one, that I pulled a bit hit the bull. Got to get used to the set trigger all over again... Not a good idea to have your finger on the front trigger when you try to move to a better sight picture.....

All in all the target sucks - but it was a beginning.

3-17-10RenePRBLabel.jpg

Frustrated with myself and the target I decided to change the targets. I grabbed a hand full of clay pigeons and set them out on the pile and a couple of stumps.... I placed 8 birds from 75 yards to 90 yards, then loaded up and started trying pick them off. I placed the peep on the second elevation mark at the bench and place the first bird right on top of the front sight. Gotta tell you after shooting the paper I had zero confidence - that I might break this first bird at 75 yards. But, I did! it broke great - I really did not see it break but I heard it - I heard the ball contact the bird - when the smoke cleared it was gone. Now that really help the confidence. From there and taking my time I went on to get each one of the birds. Now at this moment I am feeling great about PRB shooting.

The gun is standing here in the back room with me and I am really questioning whether I really want to take it apart and clean it.... What if it doesn't go back in the right place or when I clean it how long will it take me to get it to shoot that well again.

I keep thinking what did I do wrong on paper and so right on the birds? By the way at 75-90 yards the birds are really small. Makes you really want to do the Semi thing - but I do not think they would let me shoot Rondy shoots with a scope...

Anyway it was a great day.... of course any day you get to shoot is a great day....

Open sights can sure humble you as a shooter out past 50 yds :D I know, in my case at least, the rifle shoots much better than I do at that range.

I lost hope at 50yd targets with my .54 prb. So I switched to Lee R.E.A.L.'s.
Big improvement even out 100yd.

Alberta Boy

Yep... i know what you mean. Saturday I ran out to the rock pit to get some longer shooting in. I wanted to shoot 100/125 yard shots.

I scattered some clay birds out from 50 to 100 yards. I really do not like to shoot in the Little Boulder Rock pit that much anymore because of the mess that people leave when they leave. I am sure the Forest Service will close it off shortly, especially since there dispersed recreation sites adjacent to the pit.

But anyway you can see the birds placed for shooting.

rockpit.jpg

I had zero problem shooting birds to 75/80 yards with the PRB - but at a 100 yards it certainly became more difficult. If you look on the rock wall up and behind the target you can see the 3 birds that I placed for shooting. My first shot was at the bird @ 11:00 up from the the target dot. Well I got it with the first shot and that really go me excited... 2 shot later at the bird on the left - i returned to frustration. So I decided to heck with that and shot the bird on the right of the target dot. 1 shot one bird - that felt good back to the far left bird - 2 more shots and it was still there - I was feeling that it was made of Kelvar.... finally I did hit hit it.

You say your switch to the Lee really helped you... I normally shoot a 460 grain full bore Bull Shop conical and I guarantee you those are 1 shoot bullets. For me thay are far more accurate than a PRB - but then again maybe that why I keep experimenting with the PRB it is a challenge... And of course it is a hobby so I really do not do all the right things when shooting PRB's. I use all the pre-made wads and patches and still shoot T7 instead of real BP...

But, I do have fun and it is fun to shoot the PRB's @ Rondy shoots - I just like shooting....

Back