Red/Green Dot on Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzleloader48

Reaction score
Jon and I were just mulling the possibilities of that this morning.
Then we just started laughing at how CPW would react to that.
Anything to confuse those folks.
However, for folks with failing eyes, at a reasonable distance that would probably be some help.
During daylight hours, the green would be a better choice. And as it isn't magnified, I don't know as I would classify it a scope?!
Your thoughts.

I either have fire sight front sights on my hunting guns, or paint them with fluorescent paint. As you said, with failing eyes, every little bit helps when sighting on game. I have also put peep sights on my hunting guns for the same reason.

Never tried anything but plain old sights on my muzzleloaders. But my red/green Dot on my S&W 460 Mag works wonderful. I have shot Coons with it at over 100 yards with it .

During daylight hours, the green would be a better choice. And as it isn't magnified, I don't know as I would classify it a scope?!

One of my New Englander .50 caliber barrels wears fire sights. There are two green fiber optic rods on rear sight and one red rod on the front sight.

Fire sights work pretty darn well, especially near and after sunset. One of my stands faces the east. Killed a few deer there with the setting sun at my back, lighting up the fiber optic rods.

Never tried anything but plain old sights on my muzzleloaders. But my red/green Dot on my S&W 460 Mag works wonderful. I have shot Coons with it at over 100 yards with it .
Hi Mark1945.
I was sighting in my Ruger Super Redhawk, .44mag, 9.5" barrel, with Bushnell red dot the other day. All of a sudden my POI is all over the place. Then I notice a piece of plastic inside the scope floating around. Bushnell destroyed. Put new red/green dot on that I keep for spares and group tightened very nicely. Was very disappointed in that Bushnell as it wasn't cheap.

Hi Mark1945.
I was sighting in my Ruger Super Redhawk, .44mag, 9.5" barrel, with Bushnell red dot the other day. All of a sudden my POI is all over the place. Then I notice a piece of plastic inside the scope floating around. Bushnell destroyed. Put new red/green dot on that I keep for spares and group tightened very nicely. Was very disappointed in that Bushnell as it wasn't cheap.
I had a Tasco on my 44mag That broke worse then that I shot it and the scope went totally black .

Since we're including moderns here, I'll mention a deer hunt with my .270 and a Redfield (old one) 6X. About the time I decided to head back home I peered through the scope to fine it completely black. Good thing, I guess, that no shot presented itself. I sent it back to Redfield - this was in the mid to late 1990s - and they repaired it right back up; and it's still going strong. Most of my scopes are so old that this was prior to the beginning of "overseas" production. I liked the old steel tube Weavers; bought several and still have them all. Don't think they'll ever break. Virtually all date back to the early to mid 1970s including the Leupolds.

Since we're including moderns here, I'll mention a deer hunt with my .270 and a Redfield (old one) 6X. About the time I decided to head back home I peered through the scope to fine it completely black. Good thing, I guess, that no shot presented itself. I sent it back to Redfield - this was in the mid to late 1990s - and they repaired it right back up; and it's still going strong. Most of my scopes are so old that this was prior to the beginning of "overseas" production. I liked the old steel tube Weavers; bought several and still have them all. Don't think they'll ever break. Virtually all date back to the early to mid 1970s including the Leupolds.
Not really talking moderns here. Topic is
Red/Green Dot on Muzzleloader

A buddy of mine runs a 1x red dot on his TC in-line. That thing sees some use and gets banged around a lot. He’s happy with it, and he can pull off some snap shots out to 100 yards with it if need be. I almost considered doing the same with my Traditions G4 Ultralight, but I felt I was leaving some accuracy and range on the table with a set up like that so I went with a Nikon 2-7x variable. I love it !

I put a 2x red/green dot scope on my Accura MR when I bought it, figuring it would be good to 100 yds. Couldn't get groups I was satisfied with due to the 5 moa dot. Switched to a leupold ultimate slam and love it! I have a Simmons 3 moa red dot on a 12 GA that works well. That might be a better choice for a muzzleloader.

Hi Mark1945.
I swear by Vortec easy on the pocket but very high quality! I have one on my 308 -22 & AR15. In 556 they also come with a 100% guarantee replace or repair for life. You can also put a 3x magnifying scope behind the red green Dot.

I swear by Vortec easy on the pocket but very high quality! I have one on my 308 -22 & AR15. In 556 they also come with a 100% guarantee replace or repair for life. You can also put a 3x magnifying scope behind the red green Dot.
I just put a Vortex Venom red dot on my Glock G19 Gen 5 MOS have yet to take it to the range and get it zeroed .Hopefully one day this week I can get out.

I just put a Vortex Venom red dot on my Glock G19 Gen 5 MOS have yet to take it to the range and get it zeroed .Hopefully one day this week I can get out.
I am waiting for my red dot to come in for my G19 gen3. Son bought it for me. They keep changing shipping date. Very frustrating for both of us.

I guess the best thing to do is have CPW clarify the use of a red/green dot during muzzle loader season. I'll email them the data and specifications and get back to the forum at a later date. This should be interesting .

Back