Rear sight placement

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

Reaction score
Curious as to why the sight is always placed so far forward.
I am going to replace the adjustable T/C style rear sight on my Investarms Hawken with a more traditional
style sight from a CVA mountain rifle.
I plan to mount it closer to the eye, still in front of the lock though.
Thoughts?

Have you thought about using a rear aperture sight?
With my slowly failing eyesight due to age (48)I found the peep-sights to be the best alternative.
Plus these were what we trained with in the military 30yrs ago.

But with your lengthening the sight radius that could in fact be a good alternative.
I’d say “giver”.

Stay healthy stay safe!

Hold the rifle normally, put the new sight on top of the barrel and have a friend move it forward or backward until front and rear sights come into focus.

Hold the rifle normally, put the new sight on top of the barrel and have a friend move it forward or backward until front and rear sights come into focus.

With my weird eye sight the rear is never really in focus, closer or farther.
I slid it back about 4" and still same focus. :confused:

Sgt Recoil:
I do love a rear aperture sight, rear peep is what really works for me.
However, I want to keep this rifle more original looking.
Should of kept my T/C tang sight.

Thanks for the input guys.

Here's a way to add a sight that hangs on tight but can be twisted off and won't leave a mark. Permatex silicone sealer and a Williams sight marked CVA. Don't tell Thompson Center... Have done this on numerous m/l guns I own, including a Navy Arms sidehammer which I glued a scope to. You can pick up the rifle just holding onto the scope!20210209_060244_resize_87.jpg

Last edited:
If you want to remain as traditional as possible my answer would be no help, but it is true that the greater the sight radius, the more accuracy can be achieved. I took it seriously enough to install a tang mounted peep on mine. At the age of 60 it makes a lot of difference for me in a good way

Many of the original guns from the 1800's had more than one dove tail cut for the rear sight. Generally, as the eyes get older, the rear sight was moved further up the barrel to keep in focus. As said in the other posts, a rear aperture site (peep site) mounted close to the eye at the breach end of the barrel, or a tang mounted sight are what older eyes like, and keeps us old timers still in the shooting game with iron sights.

Back