NULA getting a tough shell.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CORVAIR

Reaction score
I just mailed my NULA out to Ultra Coatings in Kansas to get a tough Cerakote finnish applied. Hunting in day after day of heavy rain here in Indiana 2008 deer season, then having to remove action from stock to mop-up moisture and relube told me I needed to do something.

Spoke to Doug there at Ultra and he told me they have done several NULA muzzleloaders in the past. They will media blast to bare metal(yes that beautifull matte blue will be gone), then spray on the heat cure version of the Cerakote black and heat cure at about 300 deg.. I mentioned the ramrod thimble being glue secured, but he indicated that they have not had any problems with these working loose. All components will be Cerakote covered including the breechplug. This material is impervious to moisture and chemicals and is 60 times more durable than teflon finnishes.
The "white" part of the bolt body will get a clear coat, cold cure version of the Cerakote so that it will stay white.The bolt handle will get the black heat cure.

Should be about six weeks to get it back and when I do, I will post pictures of it. :D

Sounds like a good plan. Look forward to the photos and your thoughts.

Doing the bore? I used the UBC in my Encore with great results. Doug is a good guy to deal with.

Grouse, I also had looked at the Duracoat finnish and the Black Ice teflon finnishes and found out from several firearms websites that the Cerakote is the toughest of them all.

I also did not mention that the Cerakote finnish has slickness to it, so it actually aids mechanical interface between two parts to have reduced friction. Very similar to teflon only 60 times tougher finnish.

Cost to do my NULA will be $250.

Lawdaz,

No I am not doing the bore although their bore coat product does look intriguing. I typically use Gunzilla for all bore cleaning and bore conditioning. Korny name but this stuff really works. Quite a few of the Swat teams and the military Special Forces are using it.
The National Muzzleloading shoot at Friendship, IN you can walk from team to team and quite a few of them are using the Gunzilla also.
All natural, not solvent based. Really good product, all I use now for all of my guns.

I would be interested in the bolt, will it still close, my NULA, seemed to have a tight fit when closing bolt with primer in. Also will you have to relieve the stock for the coating to barrel?

I would post a pix, but it looks almost identical to the matte blue that was on the gun before it was Cerakoted They did a beautifull job on it and it is absolutely perfect. The bolt works as easy as it did before no mechanical issues.

Have you shot your NULA since getting it back? I wondered if it would change anything with the bedding of the action to the stock and thus the accuracy. Just bought a NULA muzzleloader and would like to send it to Doug for cerakoating. Will probably be after this season at this point.

Latest posts

Back