can i use blackhorn 209 in original optima?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magbolt150

Reaction score
have been seeing the great consistancy that blackhorn has been having and would like to try some but just want to make sure my gun will shoot it ok?

yep it will work fine. After 8-10 shots just use the drill bit to clean out the flash channel to keep the carbon out.

Yes sir.
Here is an example
Optima 50 cal with T hole
250 grn Shockwave supplied black sabot
100 grn BH-209
Ferderal 209-A Primer

Optimabesttarget.jpg

Is that Optima plug not the same one in the Accura 209 that sometimes doesent like BH209?

same plug as the accura and will be reliable. Just gotta clean that carbon out after 8 or so shots. My plug with APP and rem STS primers gets clogged up fast. Primers are nasty things.

frontier gander said:
same plug as the accura and will be reliable. Just gotta clean that carbon out after 8 or so shots. My plug with APP and rem STS primers gets clogged up fast. Primers are nasty things.

Do you ever actually shoot BH209? You do realize that is the question don't you?

magbolt150 said:
have been seeing the great consistancy that blackhorn has been having and would like to try some but just want to make sure my gun will shoot it ok?

Not being sure that the Optima breech plug was the same as the Accura breech plug, i was unable to answer your question originally. Another poster wrote, "..........same plug as the accura and will be reliable..................".

I can address the Accura reliability with BH209. My Accura has been reliable hundreds of times with BH209. It has become my favorite rifle. It is very accurate. I carried it most every day this past hunting season. In my hands, and in the hands of others it killed 9 deer this past season.

In rare instances i have had a couple three hangfire using the Accura. In one instance i experienced a misfire. I was using W209 primer. I recently purchased 1000 Federal 209A primers, and will be using them in the weeks to come. I believe they will be more reliable in my Accura using BH209; time will tell.

ronlaughlin

I know when i was talking to Western about the CVA BP - they indicated that it only had a 3mm flash channel, but they never said and I forgot to ask what size the 'flash hole' was. Do you know?

I think everyone has somewhat settled on .032.

sabotloader said:
ronlaughlin

I know when i was talking to Western about the CVA BP - they indicated that it only had a 3mm flash channel, but they never said and I forgot to ask what size the 'flash hole' was. Do you know?

I think everyone has somewhat settled on .032.

I think .032 is about right. A tiny bit on the small side too IMO. Fairly reliable but could be better with a wider range of primers. My Win Apex uses the same plug as the CVA Optima and Kodiak and has never hangfired with any powder and Win209s.

It looks identical to my Accura breach plug but i havent tried actually taking measurements.

what kind of velocity should i get with bh209 and 240-250 gr bullets? ive got a bunch of win209 primers also but if it need others i can get them....

ronlaughlin

This is going to sound odd, and I am only speaking from personal experiance.

With a 3 mil 'flash channel' and a .029 'flash hole' you may experiance 'hang fires' with BH and the hot primers. It has been my experiance there is just to much primer pressure, gases, and residue to get down the 'flash channel' and out the 'flash hole' without clogging. I believe Western has indicated that a .156" (4mm) 'flash channel' and a .032 flash hole will give the most reliable ignition with the primers they recommend (Fed 209A & CCI-209M)

My Remington has a narrow but short 'flash channel' and a .030 'flash hole' - I do get hang fires with those hot primers. But, if I move back to a Cheddite or STS - it shoots very well. I do clean the 'flash channel' every 12 to 15 shots just to make sure.

Opening the channel with a #21 bit and installation of a Lehigh or Savage vent liner should insure reliable ignition of BH.

I do not know enough about the CVA line to make really informed and accurate comments. The information i have is from Western and they have been/are working with CVA to correct these problem. I have not Western talking about the CVA QR breech plug at all and whether it meets the standards set forth by Western.

magbolt150 said:
what kind of velocity should i get with bh209 and 240-250 gr bullets? ive got a bunch of win209 primers also but if it need others i can get them....

I havent shot them thru a chrono but Westerns data looks like in the 1850-1900+ range. A lot depends on a good fitting sabot and very firm seating pressure. Some of the Optimas might have a longer barrel than their "test" gun but it gives you an idea.

I prefer the Win209 standard primers in the CVA breach plug in both my guns with BH209. The CCI209Ms shoot fine for me but they are dirtier. I did have one that showed a slight high pressure sign but still safe. Winchesters look fine every time and come out easy.

sabotloader said:
ronlaughlin

This is going to sound odd, and I am only speaking from personal experiance.

With a 3 mil 'flash channel' and a .029 'flash hole' you may experiance 'hang fires' with BH and the hot primers. It has been my experiance there is just to much primer pressure, gases, and residue to get down the 'flash channel' and out the 'flash hole' without clogging. I believe Western has indicated that a .156" (4mm) 'flash channel' and a .032 flash hole will give the most reliable ignition with the primers they recommend (Fed 209A & CCI-209M)

My Remington has a narrow but short 'flash channel' and a .030 'flash hole' - I do get hang fires with those hot primers. But, if I move back to a Cheddite or STS - it shoots very well. I do clean the 'flash channel' every 12 to 15 shots just to make sure.

Opening the channel with a #21 bit and installation of a Lehigh or Savage vent liner should insure reliable ignition of BH.

I do not know enough about the CVA line to make really informed and accurate comments. The information i have is from Western and they have been/are working with CVA to correct these problem. I have not Western talking about the CVA QR breech plug at all and whether it meets the standards set forth by Western.

Then all is well, because i have the middle of the three pictured installed in my Accura.

P1270224.JPG

So far there have been about 55 shots fired using this modified Accura breech plug using BH209, and W209 primers. Yesterday morning upon awakening it was -8* here, so i had to go up in the hills and try the rifle. Both my Omega, and the Accura, were in the truck, loaded over night, with BH209. They both were dirty from previous expeditions, so as to simulate a hunting condition.

The BH209 was lit right now in both rifles, by the W209 primer.

There are 1000 Federal 209A primers, about 1300 W209 primers, 12 bottles of BH209, and around 600xtp, here, on a shelf, waiting to continue this 'research'.

ronlaughlin

I really like the breach plug on the right Its exactly what i want to try. IMO about perfect recess for a variety of loose or pellet powder. Maybe not the best for just BH209 but i would bet it will handle any powder or pellet just fine. If it works good with Win209s then that is a huge plus to me. I prefer the Win209 for most shooting and CCI209Ms for certain situations and Rem STS primers for other powders.

Sent you a PM.

VERY NICE WORK!!!

All you guys ROCK!!

GM54-120

I really like the breach plug on the right Its exactly what i want to try. IMO about perfect recess for a variety of loose or pellet powder.

I was going to add my 2 cents about possibly keeping the vent liner as far up the BP as you could, to lengthen and increasing the volumn of the 'flash channel' - but then i read 'for pellets' also - so with that statement you are probably right one base...

I just verified MY CVA Accura 45 flash "hole" not the channel. I could get a .027 torch pick through the hole no problem but the .029 would not fit. I even gave it several passes with the rough part of a pick to make sure it was not just carbon blocking the hole.

Mine is smaller than .030 for sure, verified by using my digital micrometer on the torch picks that passed and failed. Looks like .028 to me.

At least it is spotless now. :D

breech plug availability

How do I get one of those Accura breech plugs with the replacable Lehigh or Savage vent liner - for shooting BH209 out of a .50 cal Acurra?

Back