About that hole...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urban_Redneck

Reaction score
Thumbhole that is :D

It seems that thumbhole stocks are much more popular on modern muzzleloaders than on CF rifles.

They have never seemed "right" to me- unless a gun has a cross bolt trigger safety that can be operated with my index finger (like my 10/22).

My question for discussion, since most muzzleloaders are designed to either be cocked or safety moved to FIRE with the thumb, why do MLer folk buy so many thumbhole stocked rifles?

i mostly use my index finger to pull back the hammer. i prefer the thumbhole due to it handling better, feels comfortable.

I bought a Knight MK85 many years ago and immediately got an aftermarket composite thumbhole stock for it from Cabelas and loved it. Since the trigger was a Timney, the safety was right where all centerfire safeties are. Never saw it as an issue since I always had time to push it off - wish my Bone Collector had one. It's not like I was shooting grouse or pats with it.

T-Hole

Feels right, I think I have more control on recoil. I just feel more comfortable with it. Also had a buddy tell me i liked it better because it is similar to a M16, which I shot for a long time.

Urban_Redneck

I have a thumbhole on a Knight DISC and an Omega. Working the safety or even the pulling back of the hammer have not been a problem or even something that has required any thought... it just happens.

I really did not hink I would like the tumbhole for hunting - I really wanted it for shooting off the bench. I beleive the added grip is a benefit in accuracy. I have started hunting with them also and find I adapted very quicly to the stock - actually I like it and it does feel better for me when shooting off-hand. Things seem more stable.

just sharing....

I believe the basic reason is because the average person get much better leverage for the trigger squeeze that off hand accuracy capability is improved.
I know carrying on hunting is not as comfortable but confidence for an offhand shot even running is way up. Lee

They may give a better grip and such... but there just plain FUGLY to me.

Ya, i don't like the looks either,they might hold better but the looks are plumb bad to my eyes,lol

I like my thumbholes for the range or when i got a nice rest scoping a field. Any other hunting though i mostly use the traditional stocks.

MDM though has a QuickShooter thumbhole that looks like a nice carry rifle. If the twist in the 45 wasnt so fast i would have bought it over my Accura. They should have used 1-24 like this 50cal.

MDM_-_QS_-_FL.jpg

Some of them don't look to bad to my eyes, but others do. I still prefer the Monte Carlo on my Huntsman over the thumbhole though.

Here is one I customized for one of my Sidekicks.

022.jpg

024.jpg

005.jpg

Huntsman w Monte-Carlo Stock.

014-2.jpg

Another Sidekick w/Survivor Stock.

008-3.jpg

GM54-120 said:
I like my thumbholes for the range or when i got a nice rest scoping a field. Any other hunting though i mostly use the traditional stocks.

MDM though has a QuickShooter thumbhole that looks like a nice carry rifle. If the twist in the 45 wasnt so fast i would have bought it over my Accura. They should have used 1-24 like this 50cal.

MDM_-_QS_-_FL.jpg
Well now this one I would say is not FUGLY. Like the sweeping contour of the cheek piece. Very nice.

I never owned a TH stock until last year when I bought a TH Laminate Genesis. I thought they were goofy looking. But I must say, it's not uncomfortable at all to shoot. I cock the hammer with my index finger most of the time. If I had to choose between a regular stock and a thumbhole for the same gun, I'd probably go back to regular-but I wouldn't NOT buy a gun because it had one. Call me a semi-convert if you will.

BUSTA

Very nice work sir!!!!!

I really liked the SideKick NEF type guns when they came out but didnt know about breach plug ipgrades so i passed and got the WinApex.

They had steal frames if i remember and should last for years even with "magnum" loads.

I should have bought one when they were on clearance. :wall:

That is why the MDM caught my eye more recently. Its similar frame and a more common breach plug design. Then i saw the Accura in 45 with all the features i wanted.

Keep up the great work. :yeah:

I never thought about the saftey thing but I dont think it would be an issue at all. I took a deer with mine this year. It was like second nature cocking the hammer, I didnt even realize I had pulled it back.
When I first saw the thumbhole I thought they were ugly as sin. I picked one up and felt it then I just had to have one. If you pick one up and shoulder it I have no doubt, you will want one too.
Frank

Latest posts

Back