Goodbye UPS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I will never use them again to ship a muzzleloader. Went yesterday to my local outlet which I have shipped many times from before, but this time I got the wicked witch of the dems. :shock: I never could get her to understand the difference between a muzzleloader vs firearm. She said UPS can't even ship a pellet rifle...BS!!

Took the White rifle to USPS today as yesterday was a federal holiday, and they shipped it no problem as long as there was no powder of live ammo in the box.

I will never use UPS for shipping anything ever again. I've had it with their crap!!

(still might accept items from them though...) :lol:

I use USPS for shipping all of my stuff. I am not fussy on who delivers it.

I said to hell with them too! I shipped a bow with them through work. When I got the bill it cost me 25.00 dollars to ship a 4lb box. I've since shipped 3 bows through USPS and the most it has cost me was 12.00.

I use USPS now too. The new flat rate $5 box is great for smaller items and they dont care what it weights. Plus they supply the box.

I got tired of all the hassles with UPS

My experiences are just the opposite. The UPS will ship a muzzleloader without question and the USPS refuses to ship them.

As the recipient of this rifle I was the one who suggested ups. For me they have worked well. I have come to the conclusion that it is the individual behind the counter that makes the difference. I wish companies would educate their employees about the laws regarding shipping black powder rifles.
Art
________
Yamaha dragstar 1100

Here is a solution package the guns before you ship them and if some body ask whats in the box just say pool ques :)

flounder said:
I have come to the conclusion that it is the individual behind the counter that makes the difference. .

You hit the nail on the head there!

I just spoke to a person on the phone this morning from a post office in North Carolina about their policy on shipping muzzleloaders. His response was they would ship it but it had to be shipped to a FFL holder. I told him they are not required to be shipped to a FFL holder. His response was it was post office policy. You would think they would know the laws regarding muzzleloaders. I have used UPS and have not had a problem yet.

I ship muzzleloaders USPS and have never had any problems. They were aware that the package contained a muzzleloading rifle and there was no problem. I do a lot of shipping at the USPS store due to my business so they do know me; The UPS store is way too anal about what is in the package and every clerk seems to have a different understanding (or misunderstanding) of the rules. The other problem with UPS is that a lot of the stores are actually not full UPS stores but smaller versions of the "Pack and Mail" type of stores and they will not ship much of anything including my packages for my work which contain petroleum oils. The USPS store ships them as long as they are packaged correctly and listed as Ground mail only. UPS costs more but has better tracking in the costs which USPS does not without additional charges.

flounder said:
As the recipient of this rifle I was the one who suggested ups. For me they have worked well. I have come to the conclusion that it is the individual behind the counter that makes the difference. I wish companies would educate their employees about the laws regarding shipping black powder rifles.
Art

Think your right Art. I never had a problem with this outlet until yesterday. I have long ago stayed away from the UPS Store, think this woman is a UPS Store reject myself.... :lol: They should be glad for any business they get in this economy. I'm still thinking of making a complaint, but will have to check their policies, maybe they changed, but doubt it.

Make the complaint, educate the clerk. As a UPS driver I know that we handle all firearms, muzzleloaders, long guns or handguns. Modern firearms have to be shipped to a FFL holder or may be shipped back from a FFl to reciever. Handguns must be shipped through the next day or 2nd day air service. Don't have any reason on that other than it generates more money. There are no restrictions on muzzleloaders such as ID or signature required. I hope this helps.

I think part of the problem is laziness and lack of training
the wicked witch could have been selling shoes last week
thi witch shoud have called a supervisor to properly Handel you shipping

saxman1

I think you got it....

as an example - i was in Wholesale Sports (formerly Sportsman Warehouse) - i went directly to the return counter because a I wanted to return an un-used -un-opened box of Gold Dots for another variety.... Two young ladies said you can not return ammunition once you buy it... I agreed with them totally but I said this is not amunition - it is bullets - they can be returned and have been returned in the past. They were positive that the box was ammunition and bullets were the same thing... Finally I said please bring the store manager or the manager from the Rifle department up so we can get this resolved. Neither of the two girls wanted to do this as they were positive.... about that time one of the managers I knew walked by and I addressed the problem with him - presto problem solved - although the girls were not happy at all... In their defense they were new employees...

ps - I sent you a PM - you git it...

I tried to ship a shotgun barrel to a guy to have choke tubes put in, and the local UPS store said they could not do it. I "educated" them on what they could and could not send with or without an FFL, which really confused them. The problem was, they did not know a firearm from a garden rake. Finally the lady in charge, who tried to come up with every reason not to ship it, asked what prevented me from coming back in a shipping the rest of the gun the next day? I looked at her and said "Federal law, as the receiver would have to ship to an FFL holder". She didn't know what to say after that and after several phone calls to clarify the rules I finally was allowed to ship it. I shoulda just said it was a piece of pipe...

I suppose I shouldn't say this but it seems like its always women who are causing the problem here. :D :D :D

Both UPS and USPS will ship firearms. USPS requires a FFL if you ship a centerfire and UPS doesn't. Never shipped a ML with either though. Our UPS only requires the firearm be in an unmarked box with no visable evidence that it is a firearm.

cayuga said:
My experiences are just the opposite. The UPS will ship a muzzleloader without question and the USPS refuses to ship them.
x2 on that..also i would not blame the whole company for what appears to be a clueless employee.what i do in those situations is ask for a supervisor and if that doesn't work ask for the next in command..my triumph was shipped ups from cabelas..

Guys... :roll: You have got to leave words like rifle, muzzleloader, arms, etc. off the packaging, I don't care which carrier it is, it will only cause you problems.
Also, if I'm asked what the contents are, I simply reply "machine parts"...which is not a lie. I learned that from a guy at the Smith & Wesson Custom Shop. :D

Latest posts

Back