Quantcast

Re barreled my Hawken Part 2 - New Caliber

Help Support Frontier Muzzle Loading:

FrontierGander

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Wanted to keep shooting round balls in our Traditions st louis hawken rifles so I purchased 2 CVA 54cal barrels for my dad and I. The drums just needed a little minor adjustment, then the barrel tenon relocated & dovetail cut. My barrel is currently in the browning box and once its done, I'll get my dads barrel prepped and into the box as well. Due to lack of crown on this barrel, I ended up LIGHTLY coning the muzzle to knock the rifling down at the end for a smooth clean, cut free transfer when loading the patched ball. The recovered patches looked excellent as well.
20200824_192734.jpg

Last edited:

Hanshi

Those tiny pins in the stock look really great. Plus, I'd say it really shoots, too.

tbvaughan53@gmail.com

FML Supporter
Anyone know how to retrieve a 50 cal bore brush that broke off? Didn't notice it was aluminum and not brass. Pulled on it and the fitting came out not the brush. TC brush and mop.

FrontierGander

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
TC accessories are always breaking for some odd reason.

Use a thin wall hollow tube and send it down the barrel, push it hard over the brush and collapse it.

AZshooter

Same problem years back. I cut off the necked part of a .30-06 brass, knocked out the primer, drilled & tapped it to put it on the end of a cleaning rod. Forced it over the stuck brush, using a rawhide mallet, then just pulled it all out.

Mofish

You can generally get them out easily, by using a smaller brush. Just push the smaller brush past the stuck one, and the wires on it will be angled toward the muzzle and will pull the other brush right out.

Latest posts