Range morning with the CVA and Investarms

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

Reaction score
Shot a couple Smokers this morning with a good friend.
Took the CVA Mountain Rifle & Investarms Hawken, both 50 Cal.
Friend brought his Lyman GPR in 50 Cal.
Lots of fun. The CVA did Awesome, still working over a load with the Hawken.
Fired about 30-40 Balls total. Fired a few T/C Maxi's from the Hawken that did horrible, 5" group at 50yds.
Target is 5 shots @ 1.17" and one shot taking it to 1.56" This is pretty good for me.
I'm Happy :)

50927644111_489fcf8abf.jpg

On the TC maxi-balls, did you have both grease grooves filled with lube? I recently watched an Idaholewis video where he shot Maxi-balls with both grooves lubed and then shot them with only the narrower lower groove lubed. He thought that the giant upper groove was too much lube and it couldn't shed all of it before exiting the barrel, so you end up with lop sided bullets. In his video the maxi's with only the lower groove lubed shot way better.
I believe he also always uses a lubed 1/8" wool over powder wad with them.
If you'd like to be able to shoot maxi's, you might try it and see if it helps.

Investarms hawken should have a 1:48 twist. Most likely shot poorly due to their over sized bore. I've never been a huge fan of tc or investarms barrels due to how picky they can be. The investarms also have some deep rifling which makes it even harder to shoot conicals unless you use a wad to help seal the bore.

Investarms hawken should have a 1:48 twist. Most likely shot poorly due to their over sized bore. I've never been a huge fan of tc or investarms barrels due to how picky they can be. The investarms also have some deep rifling which makes it even harder to shoot conicals unless you use a wad to help seal the bore.

T/C's also have to shallow of rifling @ .004
Of the 4 I have owned, I could never get one to shot consistently.
Not giving up on the Investarms yet. If I keep it, it will get a new barrel with deep rifling and 1:60 twist.

Your Mountain Rifle made by CVA is a 1 in 66 twist if you have the traditions mountain rifle it is a 1in 48 twist

Latest posts

Back