Savage/Cabela's gets it right!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
...with the new Savage 10ML BP!

This past week a brand-spanking new Cabelas/Savage 10ML BP arrived at Brownsferry Road. I have to say I was overwhelmed with this muzzleloader! Most of what I have heard about this muzzleloader are completely untrue and you can be assured this is about as good as it gets with an inline muzzleloader.

Now I am very accustomed to Savage muzzleloaders. This is at least the sixth one I have owned. :shock: One thing that HASN'T changed on the 10ML BP is the inclusion of Savage's Accu-Trigger. This is probably the best production muzzleloader trigger on the market. Mine broke at 1lb 13ounces STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX! There HAVE been many changes to this muzzleloader when compared to a 10ML-II. When one first opens the box several changes jump out at you..

Of course the first change is a longer barrel. Barrel length is exactly 24 inches, inside length from muzzle to breechplug compared to 22 inches for a 10ML-II. This was done in order to give higher velocities with blackpowder and blackpowder substitutes such as Pyrodex, Triple Se7en, and Blackhorn 209.

The second item one notices is the stock. Of course it is great looking in Cabela's Next G-1 camo....but mostly it's the stock ITSELF! This stock has been beefed up internally to improve stiffness/durability! NOW...this is a GREAT synthetic stock! Gone are the days of the 10ML-II Tupperware synthetic stock! It also seems as if the stock material itself has been upgraded although I have not confirmed this.

Still on the stock...the next item is the inclusion of an actual RECOIL PAD and a GREAT one at that! Adios to the hockey puck butt plate!

img_0167%20_2_.jpg

Another improvement...the ramrod thimble has been beefed up and is ventilated to boot:

img_0171%20_2_.jpg

The bolt now features a jeweled look to it and is quite snazzy! I took a picture of if but I was at the range so early this AM and it was cloudy/raining and the picture is quite BLURRY! :cry:

Seems like I am missing SOMETHING......

OH YEAH! It has a new BREECH PLUG!

img_0155%20_2_.jpg

See the difference?

The 10ML BP breechplug featues a 3/8 inch socket head and they INCLUDE the socket head WITH THE MUZZLELOADER!

img_0156%20_2_.jpg

New 10ML BP breechplug LEFT.... 10ML-II breechplug RIGHT

img_0158%20_2_.jpg

img_0159%20_2_.jpg

The two pictures above show the 10ML-II breechplug wrench

img_0160%20_2_.jpg

10ML BP breechplug wrench. :D

img_0161%20_2_.jpg

ALL THIS comes together to make one SWEET looking package:

img_0165%20_2_.jpg

NOW to the shooting! :D

ALL shots made with 120gr Blackhorn 209 by volume.

It started out a MISERABLE morning to go to the range. It was DARK, cloudy, misty, and rainy. In fact my 110gr Blackhorn 209 target was RUINED(I DO have some of the 110gr velocity data though). This is especially sad because the 275gr Parker Ballistic Extremes shot into practically ONE HOLE! I couldn't re-shoot the 110gr loads becase I had other muzzleloaders to shoot! So all I am going to talk about it the 120gr results....

IMG_0174.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

This is going to be a GREAT bullet and this is the first time I have shot it! It is BASICALLY the same bullet as the TMZ but with a FLAT BASE so one may use ANY SABOT THEY CHOOSE! 8) This is so important so one may tailor the bullet/sabot combination to ones muzzleloader. In this case I tossed the EZ sabot and used an MMP HPH-12 sabot and it seemed to be the cat's meow!
MV- 2025fps

IMG_0176.JPG

This was using the 300gr T/C Bonded Shockwave. I used a Harvester short black sabot and it seated a little too loosely. But accuracy was still pretty good.
MV- 1963fps

IMG_0177.JPG

The Parker Ballistic Extreme 275gr is practically ALWAYS a great shooter. As I mentioned the 110gr group was practically one hole. I used a MMP short black sabot and the fit was perfect.
MV- 2028fps

IMG_0178.JPG

I tried the 300gr Bonded Shockwave again this time with a MMP short black sabot. It really was a little TOO tight...HPH-12 would have probably been perfect..
MV- 1990fps

I ALSO tried a 350gr Hornady FPB. Ignition was inconsistant and incomplete during the first two shots tried so testing for this bullet was terminated......

So let's talk about price...
The Cabela's/Savage 10ML BP retails for $699.99. Now that's really a LOT of money for a muzzleloader. So what does one get for $700.00?

1. The strongest muzzleloader action available.
2. The best factory muzzleloader trigger in the industry.
3. The only muzzleloader function fired before it leaves the factory.
4. The ONLY muzzleloader breechplug that can be cleaned from stem to stern and can be restored to practically as new condition.
5. A muzzleloader that will shoot with the best of them.
6. Cabela's gun case INCLUDED.
7. VERY nice base/rings INCLUDED.(although I didn't use them)
8. 3/8 inch socket head INCLUDED
9. Standard 10ML BP accessories- short starter, ventliner & stock Allen wrenches, Cable Lock firearms lock, 2 extra ventliners, small amount breechplug/ventliner lube, earplugs, target, and owners/users manual.
10. The best customer service I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

I think it would be $700.00 well spent!

img_0163%20_2_.jpg

fine looking gun big

sorry i dont know if you wanted reply are not but i was wanting to know dose the barnes T EZ seem to be a good bullet? I got a Omega and cant get the TMZ they are to tight would the EZ be ok ?

thanks

Sam208

big6x6

Thanks for the report - I have to admit that is one fine looking gun. I just wish I could justify the cost - wish I did not have so many quality ML's - I would certainly jump on this one...

I also am interested in the velocities for your 110 and 120 grain loads..

How do these compare with the 275's that you shot?

BH-209 300 grain Gold Dot HPH-24

Shot across a Pro-Chrono @ 15'

110 grains by volume
#1 1846
#2 1831
#3 1822

120 grain as above
#1 1940
#2 1926
#3 1928

These were shoot from a Rem 700ml 26" barrel

WOW... that rifle is not only beautiful, but a sweet shooter. That is about all a person can ask for.

GREAT!!!!! now I don't know whether to wait for the new Knight rifle to come out or go ahead and try to pick up a Savage. Decicions decisions. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the report Chuck, great shooting. I noticed the snout of the breech plug has a bigger relieved section near the shoulder, looks as if a guy could put a o-ring on there for a better seal? :lol: Do they still have the vent liner? They still using the 1:24 twist?

One other thing I noticed is it looks as if they may have brushed the SS finish? Or is that just an optical illusion? All the Savages I have seen previously were VERY bright stainless steel, except for the HB models with the bead blasted finish.

They have addressed most of my previous Savage turn off's with this new model.
Barrel length.
Stock.
Recoil pad.
Breech plug & tool.
Possibly subdued the shine on the SS finish? #1 turn off.

What kind of rings and bases come with it? Ramrod? I take it that is your Power Rod, and not stock? Does that stock have two sling swivel studs on the forend? Oh, and is that Leupold Ultimate Slam scope?

I can't believe you couldn't fet the FPB's to work for you, they did a good job out of my new Sidekick with just a Rem Clean Bore Primer in the new breech plug. I see you have the standard CCI Primers in your pic, I have had the worst luck with those primers.

Sorry for all the questions, but this could be the best Blackhorn 209 rifle currently available? I take it you had no blowback?

Another great report big6x6. :yeah: I always look forward to them because they often include lots of quality photos. Speaking of them... is there anyway you could take a picture of the interior of the stock? Especially the areas that you mentioned were beefed up.

I recently got a hold of some 275 grain Parkers and want to try them in my Savage and Disc Extreme. Hopefully they do well.

Good deal Chuck! You gonna be bringing that beauty to Loshbough in April?

fine looking gun big

sorry i dont know if you wanted reply are not but i was wanting to know dose the barnes T EZ seem to be a good bullet? I got a Omega and cant get the TMZ they are to tight would the EZ be ok ?

thanks

Sam208

SURE! And you may use ANY .45/.50 sabot with it! That blue EZ might
be the perfect fit!

What were the velocities for the 110 gn charge of Blackhorn and BE 275?

Here are the velocities for the loads I shot with 110gr bv Blackhorn 209:

Barnes 290gr T-EZ FB- 1915fps
Parker Ballistic Extreme 275gr- 1925fps
Hornady 250gr SST- 1981fps

Also, does the owners manual mention anything about smokeless?

Not a PEEP! :wink: Owner manual is BRAND NEW 01/09 edition. It a few loads with Pyrodex pellets(2 & 3 pellet loads), a few MORE with Triple Se7en pellets(2 and 3 pellet loads), and a PILE of data using Blackhorn 209! :wink:

GREAT!!!!! now I don't know whether to wait for the new Knight rifle to come out or go ahead and try to pick up a Savage. Decicions decisions. What do you guys think?

No brainer! 8)

Busta said:
Thanks for the report Chuck, great shooting. I noticed the snout of the breech plug has a bigger relieved section near the shoulder, looks as if a guy could put a o-ring on there for a better seal? :lol: Do they still have the vent liner? They still using the 1:24 twist?

One other thing I noticed is it looks as if they may have brushed the SS finish? Or is that just an optical illusion? All the Savages I have seen previously were VERY bright stainless steel, except for the HB models with the bead blasted finish.

They have addressed most of my previous Savage turn off's with this new model.
Barrel length.
Stock.
Recoil pad.
Breech plug & tool.
Possibly subdued the shine on the SS finish? #1 turn off.

What kind of rings and bases come with it? Ramrod? I take it that is your Power Rod, and not stock? Does that stock have two sling swivel studs on the forend? Oh, and is that Leupold Ultimate Slam scope?

I can't believe you couldn't fet the FPB's to work for you, they did a good job out of my new Sidekick with just a Rem Clean Bore Primer in the new breech plug. I see you have the standard CCI Primers in your pic, I have had the worst luck with those primers.

Sorry for all the questions, but this could be the best Blackhorn 209 rifle currently available? I take it you had no blowback?

Still a ventliner breechplug. With Blackhorn 209 it really comes into it's own too.

Rate of twist is STILL 1 in 24.

Finish... When I first took it out of the box I would SWARE it was a brushed finish... I'll compare it to a 10ML-II OUTSIDE in the sunlight tomorrow...

I'll take a picture of the rings/bases tomorrow... Of course they are aluminum...bases look GREAT....rings- would probably do okay. I put Warne Maxima bases/QD rings on it. Scope IS a Leupold Grand Slam and it never came into contact with forehead! :D

Ramrod...the stock ramrod is actually a pretty good one but it's no Power Rod! I used a 24 inch Knight Power Rod and it is a perfect fit! Only one sling swivel at each end of stock...

Pete....
I think your velocities compare very well to mine. How long is that 700s barrel from end of breechplug to muzzle?

That's a great report 6x6. I new you would get one of those. You are the best Savage customer no doubt. I wonder if BH209 is going to eat vent-liners like smokeless powder does? If not that plug wont be to bad. I still dont think that plug is a good design for BH209. You put a sleeved plug in there i bet those 350's shoot.

I dont think this is going to be a big seller for Cabelas. Savage needs to make these kind of changes for the smokeless gun. BH209 is very good powder, but 4759 and N110 eats it's lunch on velocity, accuracy and cost. I hope we see a change like this in the smokeless gun soon.

So what else did you shoot today?

Chuck....

measured from the end of the BP to the muzzle 25 1/2" Rem 700ml

I also have a 24" model but have not shot BH in it - well shoot! I can't my son-in-law borrowed it 2 years ago and I am just now seeing it is not here.

I am now struggling with the urge to get a new one... I almost bought a Triumph this fall but convinced myself I really did not need it - what can it do with a Triumph I can not already do with what I have.... but - the only Accu-trigger I have is in a .17HRM - do not have a muzzy with that trigger.

What does it weigh with scope?

sabotloader said:
I almost bought a Triumph this fall but convinced myself I really did not need it - what can it do with a Triumph I can not already do with what I have

:lol: :lol: I really need to answer this. :D

1- Tool less breech plug.
2- An awesome limbsaver recoil pad.
3- One of the best if not the best ignition system for BH209.
4- Very light and compact.
5- No Blowback at all.
6- I would say the most accurate production muzzleloader made right now.
7- Trigger set at 3 to 3 1/2 from factory.

I think thats enough reason. I hope Knight can compete with this in the new Ultimate slam.

Grouse

1- Tool less breech plug.
2- An awesome limbsaver recoil pad.
3- One of the best if not the best ignition system for BH209.
4- Very light and compact.
5- No Blowback at all.
6- I would say the most accurate production muzzleloader made right now.
7- Trigger set at 3 to 3 1/2 from factory.

But! and not to cause a controversy....

1. Really do not care about the tool-less BP - never take my BP out any way until I need to clean it - then a socket and ratchet work just fine.
2. I am one of those folks that is not recoil sensetive so the standard pad works great for me... I do not like the recoil of a 3 1/2 - 12 gauge turkey shot shell, but as compare to my 300 win mag - ML recoil is nothing... + I could easily put a limbsaver on if it were a problem...
3. The Omega plug works great for me and the 25ACP with a small rifle magnum primer works even better - even the FPJ works well with T7 and BH
4. I thought the Omega was light... the Knight is heavy
5. 25acp takes care of the blowback problem - the FPJ is a bit dirty but not bad with new jackets
6. have not got a good answer for that but all that I have can shoot better than I
7. The Knight, Remingtons, and White have adjustable triggers - OK the Omega does not but it actually has a very good pull.

All of this is fine for me but I am sure a lot of others agree with you and your points cause the Triumph certainly is selling very well... My biggest complaint remains the break open portion - OK for a shot gun but not my favorite for a rifle - especially over a long period of time with a gun that might be used a lot... Just paid $300 to have Browning rebuild my old BT-100 - to much trap shooting to many open and closing over to many years.

Disk extreme

1. Dont care for tooless breech plugs
2. Dont need a limb saver but its got one so limbs are saved
3. Never had a problem with ignition using various primers
4. Not light but i am strong :wink:
5. If its got blow back i dont know about it
6. I say mines the most accurate
7. adjustable trigger but it was good already

Latest posts

Back