Frying a flintlock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
I wanted to shoot today. It was sunny, no wind, some bug juice handles that problem, but it was hot...

traditionalrifles075.jpg

Being determined, I took out a .50 caliber Thompson Center Hawkin flintlock. This flintlock has a German agate in the jaws, and all kidding aside I bet I have over forty shots off this thing and there is very little wear and chipping yet. Never a misfire all day, but I did have one dangerous hangfire.

traditionalrifles071.jpg

This rifle is a powder pig. I loaded 100 grains of 2f Graf's & Sons black powder, moosemilked a pillow tick cotton strip, and used cast roundball. The first shot on a clean dry barrel was encouraging to say the least. The target was only at 30 yards, so I expected this much. My hold is that black diamond resting on top of the front sight, buried into the buckhorn sight.

traditionalrifles077.jpg

I was surprised the rifle was not fouling out. I did swab once. And for some reason got a dangerous hangfire. I actually pulled the trigger, raised my head, then heard the fizzle of the pan when it went off. Guess which one that was.

I wanted to see how the rifle acted on a hot barrel. I was loading and shooting very quickly. Like I said the rifle was not fouling out, but it was turning orange in the pan from the powder burns. And I learned that when your shooting this fast, and loading and such, that barrel can burn your hand. I mean to tell you, it was hot.

Over all for as hot as it was, as hot as I got that barrel, and I lost count of how many shots I fired.. (I had to go into the house for another strip of pillow tick and that is when I decided to swab the bore with Windex)... the gun did real well. With that kind of powder charge, I would hate to have that ball shot at me. No idea what the velocity would be in that kind of heat.

Also one thermometer said, 100 degrees but the other only read 93 degrees. But MAN!! it was hot. Thank goodness winter will be here soon.

traditionalrifles066.jpg

This is just a little something for those that do not have a certified range, and need something to shoot through. Its made of 3/4 CPVC, the wind will not blow it over, it stands outside all winter, and you can hang about any size cardboard on it you like. Cheap to make, light weight, I duct tape the joints so I can take it apart if I need to, and easy to fix...

Dave....need a pic of you with the gun!!

How bout a pic of you with your first deer?

did they have camera back in those days or just the guy that made you stand still for 8 hours while he painted? :lol:

Good shooting Dave even in the hot weather! You know I have one of those that I have never even SHOT! I haven't had time...even as I type this I am at work! :( 8)

:D :D :D you working people are great. You really make us retired people envious that we no longer set alarm clocks or have to fight traffic, or go to work every day. All we do is think of ways to play..

You really need to shoot that rifle Chuck..

Good shooting there Cayugad. Ya` gotta love a patched ball. I did a lot of shooting Friday and Saturday in 97 degrees of high humidity. I learned that the sabot loads out of my Omega were good for three shots then the groups would start to look like a blind man was doing the shooting. But the patched balls from my .54 Renegade kept stacking in there even when I could hardly put my hand around the hot barrel.

As far as those alarm clock things - yeah, I use one, but during hunting season only. Retired life is GOOD.

Latest posts

Back