hog meat

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam208

Reaction score
Ive never seen a wild hog were i live nor have i ever ate it. Ho dose the meat taste?

How big do they get?

And were do you shoot them at ?

Sam208

Sam208 said:
Ive never seen a wild hog were i live nor have i ever ate it. Ho dose the meat taste?

How big do they get?

And were do you shoot them at ?

Sam208

Yeah it's good meat! Of course smaller/younger hogs taster better and are more tender than older/larger hogs. Also...without saying the quicker you dress 'em, the better they are... Average weight is probably about 150-200lbs and big ones can get close to 300lbs//

If you have a lot of gun and a tough bullet...shoot 'em thru the shoulder. Most of the time I've shot 'em just behind the shoulder just like a whitetail...

I also shoot one behind the shoulder and he died right away, was using a .45 240gr bullet. They taste good unfortunatly my wife didnt want me to bring it home so a friend smoked it and i was able to try it. Now that the wife says i can bring them home i did not see one all year, have it my luck

I love hog meat! I just had some tenderloins for dinner the other night as a matter of fact... :)

If I could get wild hog meat at Krogers,,I'd never eat domesticated hog again. 8)

8) :D

I would take wild boar over the pen raised pigs you get at the store any day :!: :!: :!:
BIGRED-1.jpg

BITTHEDUST.jpg

DSCF0470.jpg

DSCF0471.jpg

My step son shot one about 60 pounds from his deck the other day and brought it over so we could gut and skin it out. Had one of the loins on the grill that same evening. Very good eating.

I know they say hogs are problems in certain areas, as far as tearing up ground and what not, I wish i had a problem in trying to get rid of them. I havent seen one yet (this year).......and we have plenty of them here in flordia. Guess im gonna have to put in some more time and walking :)

They had a show on TV called, PIG BOMB. After watching that and listening to some of the "experts" I hope our state never have them as an invading species. In the show they were showing the Russian Boars and those things are dangerous. Good show. If you get a chance to watch it, you might enjoy it. It was on just the other day.

I also like it better than domestic hog. I have the ribs and one tenderlon left from the last wild hog we shot so I need to shoot another one.

Hog meat is very good. i hunt wild hogs 12 months of the year. However, hog meat is not improved by "hanging"; it rots very quickly, especially in hot weather. Most of the so called "strong tasting" hog meat is really rotten hog meat or dirty hog meat.

When the temperature is 80 degrees one has a maximum of four hours to get the hog in a cooler or iced down. As the temperature goes up, one has much less time to get a hog cooled down. It is important that the hog be field dressed very soon after it is killed.

I`m very envious of you all. The nearest hogs are 2hrs North and on private property and I hear they are very elusive.
I had a tase of some chops last summer and they were freaking awesome. My wife even enjoyed them and we are not big "the other white meat" pork eaters.
I`d love to put a .54cal round ball thru one of them tuskers.
8)

They are already in our state. Starting in the southwest corner and moving up the Mississippi River valley. There is also a small population up around the Bayfield area. Probably other smaller populations/herds in the state as well. http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/Ima ... PigMap.pdf

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/pub ... ok/pig.htm
cayuga said:
They had a show on TV called, PIG BOMB. After watching that and listening to some of the "experts" I hope our state never have them as an invading species. In the show they were showing the Russian Boars and those things are dangerous. Good show. If you get a chance to watch it, you might enjoy it. It was on just the other day.

Hanging the meat is not good but aging it sure helps. Quarter the hog, remove the backstrap and tenderloins then put it in a cooler with the drain open and cover it with ice. Make sure that the ice does not run out and age it for 4-5 days under the ice. The meat will break down and be much more tender. Even here in Texas, a cooler in the shade will keep ice all day and the meat will be much better.

Latest posts

Back