Rusty Duck Black Off

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dslman

Reaction score
I've used this cleaning solution for a couple of years now and I must say that it is awesome. But I'm running low and I can't find any. Does any one know where I can get some more?

I used to get it at Walmart but havent seen it in a while. I have 1 small can left.

I am down to six jugs myself.... I bought mine at Wal Mart.

If you can't find the Rusty Duck, you may want to try a bottle of Hornady's "One Shot Muzzleloader Cleaner & Protectant".

I'm pretty much a soap and water guy and hardly ever buy a special cleaning product. But I recently ran across an $0.88 clearance sale for the One Shot stuff and picked up a couple of bottles. I have to admit - it's pretty effective (but pretty expensive at regular price). It has a slightly oily feel to it. I've found that it dissolves and neutralizes black powder fouling very effectively. A patch or two down the bore and a spray on the breech followed by whisking off with a small paint brush will keep everything safe for a day or two if I can't clean the gun right at the end of a range session.

So I still do my routine and thorough cleaning with soap and water, and save the One Shot for those times when I want to delay full clean-up until the next day.

Another great cleaner (but expensive) is the Birchwood Casey #77 cleaner. Now that stuff works up a foam when you use it, but when you're done, that rifle is clean. I use that when I am shooting on the range and going to change bullets. I will swab and then run a few patches of that. Then I know I am as close to clean as I can get.

Latest posts

Back