Quarantine time hunting pouches

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drax05

Reaction score
With a lot more home time than usual, barn, garden, yard ect. and finally caught up, decided to make separate pouches for each Muzzleloader I use hunting. Have a number of leather ones, mostly a little bigger than I need for just a couple shots, anyhow, saw several originals made with mattress/pillow ticking, so drug out a ticking mattress cover older than I am (and thats old) and it had faded pretty good, had some nice small holes etc... however it was getting pretty well dry rotted, tearing in one direction way too easy, so, used newer stuff I had folded up from the 70s when I shot more, and had bought several yards which the remainder was being used as a dust cover over couple HB blankets I use(d) at rondy. Anyhow, some scrap leather, waxed linen thread, mother of pearl buttons from my grandmothers old sewing box, a coating of linseed oil, and laid out to dry/age in the sun (and couple rain showers) for a week, made them fit for my use. Simple, not real fancy, but followed the couple originals i had seen. Will heat, hammer out D rings from nails, and figure what kind of straps I want, probably just cord. CLA show in October and a nice lady from up Nawth, makes some really really nice straps, and I have some of this stimulus money........
20200710_084221.jpg20200710_084221.jpg

Nice! I have 4 bags, all rather small except for one that's only a little larger by an inch or so all the way around. Three are dedicated; still contemplating on the fourth one.

well, had to do one more, this is for my 66 (50-70), , this ticking is from a pillow cover that was rolled up in one drawer of grandmothers pedal sewing machine. Also enough assorted buttons to fill two pint jars. Anyhow, material was getting weak and tore rather easily in one direction, soaked/dried with linseed oil and toughened up considerably. I also lined it with a piece of printed linen that was used for cabinet covers in the old house instead of doors. Doesn't mean anything to anyone but me I know, but it kind of keeps a connection there someplace to me, using things held by family long gone. Button is a hammered out .54 cal. ball. This one i'll use first of our deer gun season in Nov.

Photo on 8-8-20 at 10.16 AM.jpg

A nice new pouch and vintage Springfield Trapdoor- what could be better ?

well, had to do one more, this is for my 66 (50-70), , this ticking is from a pillow cover that was rolled up in one drawer of grandmothers pedal sewing machine. Also enough assorted buttons to fill two pint jars. Anyhow, material was getting weak and tore rather easily in one direction, soaked/dried with linseed oil and toughened up considerably. I also lined it with a piece of printed linen that was used for cabinet covers in the old house instead of doors. Doesn't mean anything to anyone but me I know, but it kind of keeps a connection there someplace to me, using things held by family long gone. Button is a hammered out .54 cal. ball. This one i'll use first of our deer gun season in Nov.

View attachment 2538

We also have a few trapdoors. I say we because my wife likes the old Springfield s. Two 1884s a carbine and rifle 45/70, also a 1966 and 1968 50/70, fun shooters. Load cast in the trapdoors and jacketed in 45/70 for my Ruger #1 tropical so I can keep them separate. I just bought a NOS Bauska 50 cal bbl, 34" X 1 1/8" with a 1 in 60 twist. Also has a False Muzzle so I see another H&A underhammer in my near future..... Mossie

Always like the pillow ticking myself,remind me of sleeping with grandpa when I was a little kid,he had them feather pillows that would poke ya when the quill came through :) Wouldn't mind having one of those! Here's grandpa at Stone Corral School,carpenter,bus driver,custodian. Google (Stone Corral) give you and idea where he is.

Attachments

• 22859790_10214848684000337_9168364605495608820_o.jpg
    22859790_10214848684000337_9168364605495608820_o.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 15
Very nice bags. I really like the looks of the pillow ticking. I've seen some at shoots guys carried around with a shot/powder leather tube for their shotguns. I have quite a few yards of the heavy (.018) thickness I used to buy for shooting the old front stuffers until I was given most of a bolt of denim and I'm still shooting it for patches. I might just get some of the ticking out and make a small hunting bag for walking around for tree rats.
Great job. And yes, it does bring back memories of hanging with my Grand Parents on the farm during the summers.
Mike

With a lot more home time than usual, barn, garden, yard ect. and finally caught up, decided to make separate pouches for each Muzzleloader I use hunting. Have a number of leather ones, mostly a little bigger than I need for just a couple shots, anyhow, saw several originals made with mattress/pillow ticking, so drug out a ticking mattress cover older than I am (and thats old) and it had faded pretty good, had some nice small holes etc... however it was getting pretty well dry rotted, tearing in one direction way too easy, so, used newer stuff I had folded up from the 70s when I shot more, and had bought several yards which the remainder was being used as a dust cover over couple HB blankets I use(d) at rondy. Anyhow, some scrap leather, waxed linen thread, mother of pearl buttons from my grandmothers old sewing box, a coating of linseed oil, and laid out to dry/age in the sun (and couple rain showers) for a week, made them fit for my use. Simple, not real fancy, but followed the couple originals i had seen. Will heat, hammer out D rings from nails, and figure what kind of straps I want, probably just cord. CLA show in October and a nice lady from up Nawth, makes some really really nice straps, and I have some of this stimulus money........
View attachment 2387View attachment 2387
very nice bags, I would be interested in how you make d rings

With a lot more home time than usual, barn, garden, yard ect. and finally caught up, ..... saw several originals made with mattress/pillow ticking. Simple, will heat, hammer out D rings from nails, and figure what kind of straps I want, probably just cord. CLA show in October and a nice lady from up Nawth, makes some really really nice straps, and I have some of this stimulus money........

You should consider making these bags available for sale, that would add $$$ to your stimulus money ........

I like that idea,,,,I've made one of canvas that works good, I think I will give this a try !!!

very nice bags, I would be interested in how you make d rings
I just heat up nails, hammer them square, and bend accordingly, make my fish hooks the same way. I thought to make it all like a poor old boy someplace made them with what he had on hand.

You should consider making these bags available for sale, that would add $$$ to your stimulus money ........

Thanks Buck for the complement. Just starting a battle with melanoma/lung cancer, so will keep it in mind.

I just heat up nails, hammer them square, and bend accordingly, make my fish hooks the same way. I thought to make it all like a poor old boy someplace made them with what he had on hand.
forgot to add, you can also make powder horn staples same way, you can torch them cherry red while in a vise and take pliers and twist the shank 3 or 4 times, then bend to shape, cut, file/grind staple points. Just a tad fancier!

View attachment 2387View attachment 2387

View attachment 2538
added a few more last couple months, found source for correct original replacement ticking used in refinishing period furniture etc., some linen, woven, even though some early ones were printed pattern. Anyhow, kept me busy at night when aching too bad to sleep. Some have heavy sailcloth liners. A quick test on some of my ticking I know to be over 100 yrs old now, showed they toughened up considerably with the linseed oil treatment and adding a thick liner helps. Just liked the idea of making a few from cloth that has been in the family that long. Doesn't mean much to anyone but me, and two of my grandsons now have small "hunting" pouches that are made with material their 5th generation grand-maw slept on. Just having fun you guys, stay safe and healthy.

Attachments

• Photo on 7-25-21 at 12.40 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 7-25-21 at 12.40 PM #2.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 26
added a few more last couple months, found source for correct original replacement ticking used in refinishing period furniture etc., some linen, woven, even though some early ones were printed pattern. Anyhow, kept me busy at night when aching too bad to sleep. Some have heavy sailcloth liners. A quick test on some of my ticking I know to be over 100 yrs old now, showed they toughened up considerably with the linseed oil treatment and adding a thick liner helps. Just liked the idea of making a few from cloth that has been in the family that long. Doesn't mean much to anyone but me, and two of my grandsons now have small "hunting" pouches that are made with material their 5th generation grand-maw slept on. Just having fun you guys, stay safe and healthy.

Few more, just need to go to barn and forge some D rings, still up most of a night so might as well be productive...... Bottom one with heart strap ends, is for grandsons 50 Lyman GPR, reworked, I picked up in trade at Andalusia gun show two weeks ago. Currently unknown to him though. Now he will have a .50 ML that almost matches P-paws .54 original Sharron 1/2 stock. Looking forward to Alabama ML season with him this year as this cancer put me down for a while last season and most of this spring/summer. Have a great day all, I am......
Photo on 9-6-21 at 12.03 PM #3.jpg

Back