What Grain Bullet Do You Prefer For Whitetails?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HunterB4

Reaction score
Just curious what grain you guys prefer for whitetails or any deer? I see ALOT of people that shoot the 250gr. I myself prefer the 300gr. From what I've looked up the ballistics are fairly similar between the two as far as velocity and drop, but the 300gr's pack a fair amount more punch. Thats why I choose the 300's. Thanks for your input.

I like 260gr Noslers but I don't think they are made any more. When I run out I plan to try the 275 gr Parker bullet, as well as the 300 gr FTB and the Federal Fusion bullet.

Pretty much whatever i sighted in last :lol:

This year it was a 300gr and he barely took a step.

Their plenty of good 250gr bullets too though and ive probably killed more game total with the 250s.

Here is a simple calculator if you like to see about where your bullet is performing... if you know the fps.

http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/401-200-bb-fp.jpg

295gr Power belt hollow points for me,but going to try the 300gr FPB from Hornady.

Steve

I've been using the 180 grain QT polymer tip from PR Bullet for the past 8 years or so and have taken deer from 20 to 150 yards with them and none have gone past 30 yards after being hit. I'll probably go to 250 grains this year with my new BC but I really don't know why.

My group of T-C pro hunter shooters use the T-C 200 gr. (.40) shock-wave behind 100 grs. to 110 grs. of BH-209.

I worke dup the loads for all of the rifles in and accuracy is generally sub 1 1/4 inch and bullet performance is fantastic from 20 yards to 202 yards. We see no reason to change to any other load.

Chocdog

We used both 250 and 290 grain Barnes TEZ's this year to harvest 6 deer. Five with the 250's and 1 with the 290. I had one gun set up to shoot the 290 grain just in case we had a long shot (150 yards +). When looking at the numbers, the 290 grain had more energy at 200 yards with just about the same amount of drop at that distance.

What grains depends on the caliber, diameter of the bullet, and where I am hunting. For most hunting I like a 250-300 grain bullet sabot combination. For conicals I like a 460 grain or bigger.

BuckDoeHunter said:
We used both 250 and 290 grain Barnes TEZ's this year to harvest 6 deer. Five with the 250's and 1 with the 290. I had one gun set up to shoot the 290 grain just in case we had a long shot (150 yards +). When looking at the numbers, the 290 grain had more energy at 200 yards with just about the same amount of drop at that distance.

Thats what I have found and why I shoot the 300gr. TC Shockwaves. I use BH209 and if you go to their site you can find a link to a chart with load data using their powder and some of your most common bullets.
Actually here is the link.

http://www.blackhorn209.com/files/pdf/b ... erdata.pdf

I'm a big fan of the 250gr .452 Hornady XTP (or equivalent weight regular (not bonded) Shockwave). Drops deer in their tracks and that's all I need...

Usually the 250gr but when I go where I may have to shoot over 150 yd the 200gr. For me it is the trajectory and sectional-density combination I look at; the other important thing is how fast the bullet opens for whitetail I want a bullet that opens in 4 inches as most of my shots are broad side, but just in case I have to take a long angle shot I want the bullet to stay in a penetrating form[at least 70% of the original weight. One of the reasons I like Gold Dot and Lehigh bullets. The slower opening bullets like the 300gr Gold Dot and the all copper I like for elk and bigger game. Range and some times circumstances can also affect these decisions, that's why I keep 3 guns sighted in for different loads. Lee

Myself, i like to use 300g bullets for all my hunting. The only time i haven't, is when i've used the 270g 44 caliber Gold Dot. I don't really have 'strong' reasons for doing this, but it is what i do.

The 300g bullets usually have a better ballistic coefficient than the lighter bullets, and that is a good reason to use them in my mind. I have never seen any evidence that they are 'too' heavy for deer. When i hunt in Montana there is a chance i will have an Elk tag, and there isn't much doubt that a 300g bullet would be better than a lighter one for these big animal. Using 300 all the time simplifies my sighting in, because i don't have to sight in for different weight bullets when i hunt different animal. Using the heavier bullet makes sense to me when i look at the 50 caliber hole in the end of the barrel.

Lee 9

I agree with the sectional density part since it plays a major role in the BC equation and good penetration even if it expands a bit too fast.

BC is over rated to an extent since it is based on the fps you or your gun can achieve with the needed accuracy. ALWAYS look at the section density first if penetration is a major concern. Higher SD usually will equal a higher BC too.

One of the next things i want to try in my 50cals is the 265gr FTX for 444 Marlin or a .429 GoldDot. In the past 44/50 bullets and sabot accuracy wasnt as good as a 45/50 (usually). The Harvester Crushribs IMO open up a bit faster and appear more "limber", so maybe i can get them to shoot better.

I like the .205 SD of the .429 265gr FTX and it is supposed to be designed for expansion from 1600fps to over 2200fps. If it shoots well... drop from a 100yd sight in to a 200yd impact should be very good.

My big 260gr 40cals i use in my 45 Accura have a .231 SD and hold a lot of energy down range. I think im going to call them the PileDriver. :lol:

Anyone with some .429 265gr FTX bullets that wants to make some trades please pm me. :D Or even some of the 225gr FTXs for 44mag i need them to compare to a current bullet im testing.

I prefer the 240 or 270gr Speer GD Soft Points. There's a lot less meat damage (comparing similar velocities) than hollow points and ballistic tips, but similar internal damage.

:D :) 8)

295 Grain Powerbelt H/P helped fill my freezer with 2 deer this past season :!: :!:

I like a 510 grain conical in my .504"s and a 460 grain conical in my .451's
Both put em down were they stand.

I know this isn't the smokeless forum, but my new favorite bullets is the 195g Barnes MZ Expander at about 2740 fps out of a 45 cal Savage. Sighted in +3" @ 100 yds its +1" @ 200 yds and about -12" @ 300 yds and still packs around 1100 ft/lbs of energy at that distance with MOA accuracy.

Had a pass throughs on 4 deer this year ranging from 75 to 236 yds. Two were DRT and the other two went no more than 40 yds.

I have shot everything from 143g round balls to 460g Bullshops. Both kill deer but I prefer to stay around 300g. All my hunting is done in close quarters so I don't need to shoot light pointy bullets for long ranges. That all being said, I think it's been proven well that if you place the shot correctly you should be able to harvest deer cleanly with just about any bullet MLs will shoot.

GM54-120
I agree with what you are saying; but I have had some problems with unexplained occasional fliers with the 50/44 sabots that I have never gotten completely rid of, while I do not understand why I do not have these problems with the 50/40 sabot or the 50/ 45 sabot so I guess until I do solve the problem I will have to stick with the ones that group good a 250 yds. Lee

Lee 9

I totally agree. I can get the 40/50 to shoot consistently even if its not great but 44/50 seems even worse about fliers.

The biggest problem atm is the selection of 40cal hunting bullets. Some close range shots are just too much for the little bullet to handle unless you try the Lehigh or Barnes options.

The ONLY reason im trying the .429s again is current FTX availability and i want to try the Crushribs with and without the MMP sub bases. I checked them and they appear to fit the Harvesters CRs fine.

Latest posts

Back