Ahhh that smell..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Is in the air!! Hunting season is near. For the past 2 weeks or so, its been getting really cool out at night and every time the breeze kicks up through the woods it just reminds me of opening day of muzzleloading season, way up in the mountains. Got to love that cold crisp air that has a little bite to it!

Nothing better that cleaning your rifle and enjoying that cool crisp air while you're working. Flinter is all cleaned up, now just to fondle the Accura and double check my cleaning job.

You boys gettin excited yet about this years hunt?

Ahhh that smell.. Is in the air!!

You lucky dog - I'm envious.

:? The only smell in the air down this-a-way is the smell of sweat. I spent six hours on a tractor bush-hogging my food plots last Saturday in 86 degree 91% humidity. You would not have liked the smell in the air when I got back to camp. :lol: But we should get that first sweet smell of fall somewhere around mid-October. :D

:lol: :lol: dont feel bad semi!! I was in that same spot 2 days ago with my nephew!! We used a chain attached to our truck and cleared out a 30' x 20' area of oak brush. I normally cut it down but if you dont get the roots, it pops up again next year.

We got the roots this time!

Semisane
5.5 weeks till first season opens here. O ne rifle the Endeavor is ready the Triumph will be checked out this week, might just get the Hawken and the Omega ready in case I feel like a change of pace. Got a boar hunt planed a couple weeks from now. Lee

Our ML season doesn't open until Nov. 14. We will be putting the seed on our food plots the last week of September. If we plant before that the Army Worms eat the new sprouts and wipe out the plot.

I'm smelling it too!!!! 54 degrees in the morning at 6K feet is a beautiful thing. I can't wait to be camped at 9500 feet and working our way up to 10K every morning in 3 weeks... :D Last year we camped in a 4 man tent with no heat during 2nd rifle with -4 degrees the morining I got my elk. This year we have a 12x16 wall tent with a stove for muzzleloader season and 2nd riffle... I can't wait...

Fired up

You guys got me fired up. I got 8 weeks till bow season and another 4-5 weeks later I can use my ML or my shotgun. BUT, driving past one of my favorite stand sites for whitetails in farm country today, I spotted two deer in the soybeans, and the second one I looked at raised his head from the vegetation to show me his velvet out to the ears and sittin' pretty high! 8) Plan on seein that boy again, but not soon enough!

It was in the low 60s tuesday night in Virginia where I hunt. I drove past pasture after field after corn field for 2 hours looking for deer to photograph. I never saw a deer which is real unusual. Sure hope my hunting area hasnt been over hunted in the last few years. There may be some oak trees dropping back in the woods which is holding them but it is kind of early for acorns. Muzzleloading starts the first of November for 2 weeks. Come back in in december.

yesssss

Spent Saturday and Sunday w/ friends on the groiund in Ohio. We put up 5 stands, cleared shooting lanes, drank a couple beers, sweated, cussed, split firewood, shot bows and generally had a great time. That is part of the hunting thing, being w/ mt buddies. September 26 is our kick off for arch/ The first ML opportunity is the week of October 19 in selected areas for either sex deer. Shawnee, Wildcat and Salt Fork parks.

Back