Some of "those" Questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aladinbama

Reaction score
I'm not new to shooting, but am a complete muzzleloading newbie. I have loaded a dozen different rounds for my various handguns and rifles so I am familiar to reloading for centerfire.
My question is this - when you refer to 100 gr of powder are you refering to weight (actual 100 grains) or volume - the measure of 100 on a blackpowder measure? (I have a brass measure that dials from 40 to 120 - that would have to be volume).
How do you compensate for the various sizes of powders? (I plan on shooting mainly BH 209) Do I measure by weight - actual 100 grains or by volume - the 100 line on my brass measure? Hints/Tricks here?
I've read around a lot (I'm a teacher), but are there any links or online articles I should read.
Sorry, but I really don't want to blow myself or anybody else up.
I'm sure there are more of these coming. Thanks, Tom

The powder measure uses volume to determine the charge size. I have since switched over to using weight. The conversion that I use for volume to weight for BH 209 is .7. A 100 gr by volume of BH 209 using my powder measure yields 70 gr by weight. Every powder measure measures is a little different. I measured a bunch of 100 gr volume charges to determine the average weight then calculated the conversion factor. I rounded up it to .7 as it makes the math easy. :D

Tom,

jsteurrys is right on about Blackhorn 209.

Just remember that all Black Powder and Black Powder Substitutes are measured by Volume Units.

In the case of Black Powder, the volume was determined by it's weight, 100 grains weight = 100 grains volume. This is what set the STANDARD for measuring powders for muzzleloading. The VOLUME MEASURE saves us all from having to carry a set of scales around in the woods with us.

Now along comes Pyrodex, I will use RS (FFg grade) for this example. Pyrodex is much less dense than Black Powder, it was made to be the equivalent to Black Powder by VOLUME. Its weight conversion is real close to 0.7, that is why you get 30% more shots out of a pound of Pyrodex vs a pound of Black powder.

The rest of the Black Powder Subs all have different densities, and are made to be VOLUME equivalents to BP. These Subs would include Black Canyon, Pyrodex/P/RS/CTG/Select, Black Mag'/2/3/XP, Triple Se7en, Clean Shot, Clear Shot, American Pioneer, Goex Pinnacle, Shockey's Gold, etc,.

Another rule to remember, not all of these powders produce the same pressures or velocities. Triple Seven/Black Mag'/ Blackhorn 209 all should be reduced by 15% Volume, as they are much more energetic than Black Powder and the other Substitutes.

In other words 85 grains VOLUME of Triple Seven/Black Mag'/Blackhorn 209 are a very close equivalent to 100 grains VOLUME of Black Powder/Pyrodex/other Subs for bullet velocities.

Of course, any of these powders can be converted to a weight measurement, just make sure you use VOLUME measurements to determine that WEIGHT equivalent.

I hope I didn't confuse you further? Just wanted you to be aware of the differences.

Thanks JS!
Busta, you just took what JS said, expanded on it, and explained it so I didn't have to ask another "wonderful" question. When a powder calls for 100 gr, that is actually the volume measure (based upon the old black powder standard) and not the weight measure - I just didn't want to use 100 grains of BH 209 (by weight) when it meant 100 grains measure by volume - that could create a problem or two.
I thought this to be so the way people were explaining things, but I just wanted to make sure - anything gun related, it's always best to be sure.
Thanks!

Welcome to the board Tom. My brother got me interested in muzzleloaders several years ago so I was (and still am) fortunate to have someone to go to for information. Don't hesitate to ask questions here as there are many who would love to help you out. Like others have said, the 100 grain reference is by volume. As shooters become more proficient and seek more accuracy, some migrate toward measuring their powder by weight just to be more precise. You can experiment with this by weighing your volume measured charges just to see what differences there can be between each one. Keep us updated on how your shooting is going.

Well, I took my new to me Knight Vision out to shoot last weekend. Pretty impressive accuracy. I didn't do any of the necessary adjusments, just wanted to get used to shooting it. I did however manage to touch 4 shots on the same hole at 50 yards. I also tried different powder amounts and I think I'm basically going to settle on either 80 gr or 90 gr of BH209 - it seemed to be more consistent than the 4 - 100 gr shots I tried. (BTW, I was shooting 240 gr. Knight saboted bullets).
Again, I'm in the infancy of all this, but thought I would share. I also need to get it out to 100 yds. and adjust the sites to proper center and elevation. I think I'm going to like this ML stuff.

Latest posts

Back