I cant stay consistent at the bench.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what its worth, here is my routine:
1. Set aside 4 hours or so. If problems occur, I have time to work them out and not go home frustrated. (although this happens to me anyway :oops: ) Also, I don't like being rushed around at the range by other people in a hurry; if I have set aside enough time, I just fish at the pond by the range until it's clear. That's just me.

2. I put a piece of tape on the stock where my cheek will be...similar to the band aid idea.

3. Most importantly, I shoot from the postion I will be hunting in...which is sitting on low field chair in brush. This works well at 25 yds and 50 yds at my range. However, the benches are too high and the front overhang too low (modification due to some guy that shot over the burm with his AK) for me to be in same position given stools provided at the range. It puts me in a prone position and let me tell you, I am terrible at shooting from a prone position. My solution is to bring a 5 gallon bucket to sit on. This gives me the body position I like and will hunt with.

So I guess for me it is about being comfortable just like it will be when I take the shot in the field. When I am all nerved up and body position doesn't feel right, I start jerking and pulling on the gun.

This was way too long, but hope it helps. I suppose we all do range work a little differently, but the important thing is that we do it!

Slow down-relax and then search for the proper feel on the bags with an unloaded gun. When you find the sweet spot ,that feels right, practice till that becomes second nature. Repetition, repetition, and muscle memory.

:think: Grouse, I used to fell that way also, for me it was just people looking over my shoulder and trying to see how a KNIGHT ML could shoot better than there centerfires. :yeah: :wink: :lol:

You might want pay attention to where your stock is setting on the rest . A lot of hunting rifles , have thin stocks the closer you get to the muzzle . If one time you're resting on the fat part of the stock and the next , on the thin , you are probally flexing the stock . causing the barrel to have different pressure . Try to shoot consistently on the thicker part of the stock . I have found this makes a lot of difference on some rifles . Paying attention to details of your set up , trigger pull , and cheekweld , from shot to shot is also important as pointed out by others above . Make sure your rest is solid and doesn't shift when you set into your position . try different holds , some guns respond to being held differently . Kenneth

Latest posts

Back