Pyrodex Mixing?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CVA Fanboy

Supporting Member
Supporting member
Reaction score
Got to kicking around an idea, probably redundant, I will ask as I have found spotty information, if one has pyrodex pellets 50g and pyrodex powder could one mix the 2 for a 70 grain charge 1 pellet and 20g powder. Before you all go on about mixing powder, Please remember BOTH products are Pyrodex. Not mixing Goex/Pyrodex rather pyrodex/pyrodex. Just an odd thought I have scrubbed internet only found mfg warning on mixing powder, one other forum beat never mix powders goex/pyrodex not the other route

As long as the loose powder goes down the bore first and then the pellet, I don't see where there would be a problem. If i remember correctly, the pellets have a a layer of real BP at the base, so technically that is a mix.
Yes that is also in thought, I did plan on loose first, and thank you

I cant help you on that .If its not Black it doesnt go in any of my guns . Tried that crap years ago threw most of it away .
Eh got free was thrown in, then family & friends kick in for fathers day, picked me up some, I like pyrodex, merely that it can be found Goex, like loaded ammo and reloading components, are scarce, and when they are found prices are so JACKED someone forced to work instead of drawing the unemployment lottery can not afford it. I can still get RS/P Pyrodex for under $26 and available (sometimes).

Eh got free was thrown in, then family & friends kick in for fathers day, picked me up some, I like pyrodex, merely that it can be found Goex, like loaded ammo and reloading components, are scarce, and when they are found prices are so JACKED someone forced to work instead of drawing the unemployment lottery can not afford it. I can still get RS/P Pyrodex for under $26 and available (sometimes).
There's little doubt that black is the easiest to clean up after, stores well, keeps for years, but now let's go to the drawbacks. You can't buy it in Montana In any place that that I know about, At least within 300 miles. When you're my age, shipping in $125 worth of black powder when I need $10 dollars a year Worth doesn't compute well either. the answer, for people like you an I is either pyrodex or 777. I do have some black on hand and I use it in my flintlock, and when I take my lightweight percussion out, I can use 777. They all require the same amount of cleaning, bore inspection and maintenance, and the local hardware store can order what I need.
Squint

There's little doubt that black is the easiest to clean up after, stores well, keeps for years, but now let's go to the drawbacks. You can't buy it in Montana In any place that that I know about, At least within 300 miles. When you're my age, shipping in $125 worth of black powder when I need $10 dollars a year Worth doesn't compute well either. the answer, for people like you an I is either pyrodex or 777. I do have some black on hand and I use it in my flintlock, and when I take my lightweight percussion out, I can use 777. They all require the same amount of cleaning, bore inspection and maintenance, and the local hardware store can order what I need.
Squint
Squint Kentucky`s little more black powder friendly, However it is still unobtainium (hard to find) I like 777 and pyrodex they are not as good, as Goex and the like. However I do not get to shoot without either.

if ya'all can buy spectricide stump remover, sulfur for the garden, and charcoal, ya'all can have all the black powder you need.
Deerstalker T yes I am very well aware, of that. I even have a willow tree at my disposal for proper charcoal. When I started on the road to black powder, I was mid 40ish, Had seen a few as a kid, was pumped full of the improper, foul knowledge and irrational fears of others. Once I experimented and gave BP an unbiased try, I learned I actually enjoy BP, so as I progressed added a revolver, few other rifles, folks gifted the substitutes pellet & powder. It was and still is easier to find and cheaper.I have a can Goex I know the two should never mix. I got to wondering if it were pyrodex over pyrodex if that had been considered or even tried. Pyrodex Powder say 20g and a pellet at 50g which brings total propellant to 70 grains just one is Pyrodex Powder the other is a pellet both made by same company both have same chemical properties, one has a binding agent one does not. As I have found if powder loaded first then pellet I am going to be ok.

CVA Fanboy, i hope my earlier reply didn't seem flippant. i was just cruising through and should have read more.
i see you are a inquisitive man like myself. someone says" that won't work" i ask why. i have some pyrodex powder and some pellets. and a 50 that i experiment with. today i will experiment.
best regards Tom

CVA Fanboy, i hope my earlier reply didn't seem flippant. i was just cruising through and should have read more.
i see you are a inquisitive man like myself. someone says" that won't work" i ask why. i have some pyrodex powder and some pellets. and a 50 that i experiment with. today i will experiment.
best regards Tom
Tom I am of the non-offended brand. I see, wonder and ask I will question all, it is my nature If your going to attempt the powder first, then pellet seems to produce the best results for me. but remember Pyrodex to Pyrodex lets not create an issue where there is none needed. And Thank you

best regards Tom
I realize this is an old post, but DeerstalkerT, I have to know…did you experiment? And, if so, how did it go? Did you use it in a sidelock or an inline?

Squint

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to kicking around an idea, probably redundant, I will ask as I have found spotty information, if one has pyrodex pellets 50g and pyrodex powder could one mix the 2 for a 70 grain charge 1 pellet and 20g powder. Before you all go on about mixing powder, Please remember BOTH products are Pyrodex. Not mixing Goex/Pyrodex rather pyrodex/pyrodex. Just an odd thought I have scrubbed internet only found mfg warning on mixing powder, one other forum beat never mix powders goex/pyrodex not the other route
Never done it but was thinking about pellets 1- 60gr triple seven with 1-50gr triple seven to make a 110gr charge . I don't see a problem if its the same , but not totally sure ?

I checked like you did on the internet and one said absolutely as long as the loose goes in first then the pellet . That was from Graybeard Outdoors , then I saw Where another said absolutely not . So who do you believe ?????

I checked like you did on the internet and one said absolutely as long as the loose goes in first then the pellet . That was from Graybeard Outdoors , then I saw Where another said absolutely not . So who do you believe ?????

Hodgdon appears to own Pyrodex, Triple Se7en, White Hots, and BH 209. They seem to have the lion’s share of the “BP substitute” market pretty well sewn up… https://shop.hodgdon.com/shop-all/?_bc_fsnf=1&Group=Muzzleloader+Propellant

Maybe contact Hodgdon directly, and let THEM answer your questions: https://hodgdonpowderco.com/contact/

Hodgdon appears to own Pyrodex, Triple Se7en, White Hots, and BH 209. They seem to have the lion’s share of the “BP substitute” market pretty well sewn up… https://shop.hodgdon.com/shop-all/?_bc_fsnf=1&Group=Muzzleloader+Propellant

Maybe contact Hodgdon directly, and let THEM answer your questions: https://hodgdonpowderco.com/contact/
Sence I posted these Questions I have tried myself and they worked fine as long as it is the same , like pyrodex powder with pyrodex pellets & T7 powder with T7 Pellets . It worked just fine & I made sure it was only 80 gr & 100gr mixes Not any Higher

But before anyone else tries to do this Experiment with powders and pellets ,that is your own decision ! Because what worked for me might not work for you & I don't want to see anyone get hurt !

What I did Don't you Guys Do , because not recommended. I did mine in T/C Encore . I Put 30 grs pyrodex volume & 1 50gr Pyrodex pellet . Accuracy was not good & Don't recommend . Stay with powder only & pellets only To be safe for sure !

If I were to do this I think I would do pellet first then loose. If you think about it putting the pellet on top of the loose powder will cause a void around the pellet which may cause a pressure spike. Powder poured over the pellet would fill all voids surrounding the pellet. IMO that is a safer option.

Back