Rangfinders ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swaro Laser Guide 8x30. I don't cary binoculars anymore, because I have very poor vision in my left eye. The Swaros serve me very well. The optics are outstanding.

I bought a Bushnell Yardage pro 600 some 14 years ago. Since then, I have used the living he!! out of it on countless deer hunts and to my surprise, quite a few turkey hunts as well. Used it on three elk hunts and my friends have barrowed it for used it on hunts to NM, and AK. It even spent one entire sring and summer in AK with my friend while he worked as a asistent guide.

In all that time and use it has worked quite well and held up with zero problems. During my last elk trip I realy made a concious effort to see just how far it would work and how well under varing conditions. I spent 20 days in WY hunting every single day eihtor with a bow (six days) or lator with a rifle for fourteen days.

I used it to range antelope, deer, elk and even wild horses. Bottom line is this model Bushnell laser range finder would accurately range elk sized animals out to just shy of 500yrds. By that I mean in good conditions I could pretty consistantly get it to range the elk I saw out to 480-490yrds more than 75% of the time. My only trouble came from trying to laze elk who were moving or not facing dead broad side to me.

On deer and antelope I could only get it to work 75% of the time out to slightly more than 400yrds to around 420-430yrds.

On large highly reflective targets like big rocks or buildings, it worked way past 600yrds most of the time.

What the makers of these gizmoes fail to tell you is you need a good solid rest to range any animal or small object much past 300 yards. You simply are going to have alot of dificulty ranging a elk at 300+ yards if you hold the range finder free hand like binos. Think about it, your not going to shoot at a elk off hand at 400yrds, so your not going to have much success with a L/R at the same distance.

To lase a elk at anything over 275yrds the elk must be standing broad side to you. Forget about trying to lase a elks rump at long range.

I posted this because if anything todays range finders should be makedly better than my much older model.

I just wish therer was a laser range finder that worked out to 1000yrds as well as mine works at 250yrds.

I might be asking to much for the eye safe grade lasers used in todays range finders.

If I were to buy another laser range finder today I would most likely stick with Bushnell as they make a good product and its within my budget.

Ditto what Bill said above. I'm blind in my right eye and the Swaro 8X30 is EXCELLENT as a bino and rangefinder.

:D :D :D

Mine says BUSHNELL YARDAGE PRO, 4X. It also says 5 yds min to 800 yds max. I bought it on sale at BPS a long time ago and I think it was about $130.00 on sale :!: :!: :!:

Have a great season everyone!!!!!!!! 34 more days B/4 I put mine to good use in the woods :!: :!:

You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a good rangefinder, but stay away from cheap.

I have seen more guys go cheap and be unhappy, or go through life justifying the cheap junk they bought.

They all will give you a (+-)one yard reading under good circumstances, however THIS is the most important and in my book the deal breaker.

It must range through branches or grass!!!!!!!!!

When at the store, range something through say, a rack rack of rifle barrels.

Take it home and try it through the tree branches. If it is inconsistent, if it is not accurate or gives no reading at all ...take it back!!!

All other features are just variables. Rain Guard, objective size, eye relief, lens coatings, water proofing, camo, bulls eye, tree mode, near ranging, far ranging, arc, battery type and life, and overall size, don't mean anything to a hunter if if when the TIME comes, you have a branch in the way that locks up the brain of your rangefinder.

Flatlander.54 said:
I use a Bushnell YardagePro Sport 450. Paid 199.99 for it last year and Im very pleased with it. Its more than accurate enough for any distances youll encounter in Muzzleloader or bow hunting. A friend of mine said he saw some at WalMart on sale for $150.
I have the same one from Bass Pro Shops. I paid $150 for it, and I am more than happy with it.

Cajun said:
I have a Nikon Prostaff 550 and love it. It is within 1 yard accurcy.

Thats what i ended up getting . they had one for sale here in town for 150.00 . seems to work great !! :D Could have got a range finder scope combo for a good price too , but don't need a scope . Can only use a 1 x scope here but i feel the range finder will still comer in handy . I feel i could place a bullet behind the shoulder even at 200 yards if needed . nice to know the rage though . :D

Nikon Prostaff 550. Works great! $199 last year at walmart I think, it was a birthday present. I wish everyday was my birthday, my hunting equipment list is very long.

Rangefinder

Went out Bow hunting today for the first time this fall. Got to test my new Bushnell Yardage Pro Legend I mentioned earlier in this post. I saw 4 bucks and 5 does today. The farthest I could get a reading on a deer in the open field was right at 400yds with the deer standing broadside. This isn't quite what it's advertised at, but still darn good for the price. The rangefinder also has a mode for >150yds, for ranging through near brush. The range finder worked out real well, a good $200 investment. On a side note, I whacked a doe at 20yds and put some meat in the freezer!

Latest posts

Back