Savage makeover

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neonmoon

Reaction score
Savage makeover
? Thread Started on Apr 3, 2009, 10:05pm ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I first posted this over on the green board but thought you guys might like to see this also. Was at the shooting range and someone was shooting a Savage in 30-06 with a cool looking stock. I asked the guy where he got the stock for the rifle and he told me that it was a stock Savage synthetic stock that he had painted. I enquired about how he had gone about doing that and then decided to try it myself.
paintedsavage.jpg

I had always boasted to my fellow muzzleloaders who mostly shoot laminate stocked Omegas and Encores that my ugly, black, beat up looking Savage could outshoot them at long ranges. Guess I won't be able to call her Ugly Betty any longer.
trigger.jpg

Notice the gritty appearance. The grit in the paint gives it better grip and I also added a clear coat overtop to secure the gritty paint to the stock. Lowes and Home Depot carry this paint that adheres to plastics very well and come in a variety of colors. The stock had to be cleaned, degreased and sanded down before I applied the paint. After prep I hung the stock with a wire close hanger and proceeded to spray lightly at first and then going over the stock with a hair dryer before applying another coat. I repeated this proceedure three times before my grandson decided that he wanted to touch it and dug his fingers into the wet paint. After washing his hands I tried to repair the marks left by his fingers but I made it worse. The next morning I sanded the area down and applied the paint again. This time it came out looking nice and I then applied the clear coat. After sitting overnight I installed the stock onto the barrel and action.
stonepaint.jpg

You may or may not be able to notice that the scope and barrel look rather shiny even though I can tell you that they are not geasy feeling. This is a result of an application of a teflon based protective preservative by the name of Corrosion X. After application all water quickly beads up on the surface of the barrel and I also applied this to the inside of the barrel also. I haven't shot it yet to see if my Point of Impact will be affected although the instructions say that the slick preservative will have no affect. This would be a much less expensive alternative to Ceracoat or Duracoat to protect the barrel finish but you probably wouldn't want it on a turkey gun because it makes the barrel shine.
corrosionx.jpg

barrelweaver.jpg

Notice the objective bell on the 2.5-10x56 Weaver Classic Extreme scope. It is pretty close to the barrel but I have had no problems so far. It is an excellent dim light rifle scope. I actually sold my Kahles CL Multi-Zero scope to finance two of these fine Weaver scopes. A real deal for less than $300 at Natchez. That is my Savage makeover. My other rifles got the Corrision X treatment also although I didn't apply it to the bore on my Remington 700 in .243 Win. That baby is a shooter and I don't want to alter anything.

Doug

Doug,

That is very nice work!

I had thought about going that color/texture route when I did my Savage 210. While I eventually decided that I wanted to try to avoid the need for any shiny over coatings it looks like yours came out just fine.

Once again great work!!! I really enjoy seeing members taking their guns to new semi-custom levels!! :yeah:

JC

(Below is the color scheme I went with on mine....)

Savageproject110.jpg

jcchartboy said:
Doug,

That is very nice work!

I had thought about going that color/texture route when I did my Savage 210. While I eventually decided that I wanted to try to avoid the need for any shiny over coatings it looks like yours came out just fine.

Once again great work!!! I really enjoy seeing members taking their guns to new semi-custom levels!! :yeah:

JC

(Below is the color scheme I went with on mine....)

Savageproject110.jpg

JC....that is a very nice looking job there! Can you tell me how you went about doing that with two colors?

Actually I don't like the shine of the clear coat on mine but the one I saw that was like it didn't have a clear coat and the owner said that the grit was wearing off after about a year of handling so I decided to secure the pain with the overcoat. I couldn't find any without gloss.

Doug

dougedwards said:
JC....that is a very nice looking job there! Can you tell me how you went about doing that with two colors?
Doug

Doug,

I wrote this up in another post elsewhere on the board but the thread is really long.... So here is the excerpt. Hope it makes sense, I am happy to answer any questions. (In essence the first coat was done like yours, the overcoat was done in a "splatter" style standing several feet away from the stock and letting the paint drops form in the air and "spray and spatter" the stock all the while hoping things came out right... :lol: )

JC

-----------------------

Below is a picture of my taped stock rigged in preparation for painting. As you can see I used the wire from a clothes hanger, strung through the guard screw holes, and taped off securely as a means to suspend the stock for painting?

JC

Savageproject99.jpg

After reviewing several other projects of this nature I decided that I wanted to do a multicolor paint finish that gave something similar to what is referred to as a ?mudpie? finish. Additionally, as I was hoping to add a little texture to the finish it was an easy choice as to which paint I would be using. Krylon recently introduced a product called Fusion for Plastic Textured Shimmer which appeared to meet my needs perfectly.

After testing a numbers of different colors I decided to do a green on black pattern. In order to ensure that my completed pattern would meet my expectations I spent a good deal of time creating ?test patterns? prior to actually placing any paint on the stock. Essentially what I did was to use several large sheets of 4ft x4ft brown packaging paper as a test canvas. This allowed me to test color schemes and coating thickness without any worry, prior to actually working on the stock. Once I was happy with my abilities to achieve a desirable finish I started painting.

For my particular gun I decided to start with a simple black textured base. The picture below shows the stock taped, hanging and with the finished first base coat applied.

JC

Savageproject100.jpg

As I was now approaching the final stages of the project all of the work was almost done. Unfortunately, with the final coat of paint yet be applied it was really hitting me that if I screwed up the final coats I would have done a lot of work only to have a poorly finished product. Knowing that the textured black finish I already had was perfectly acceptable I almost stopped at that stage. However, wanting to achieve the mudpie type finish I originally set out to create I decided to take my chances on the last coats coming out as my test pattern had.

Below is the stock while drying after the final coat?

JC

Savageproject101.jpg

Savageproject102.jpg

Savageproject104.jpg

Well, the time had final come that I would be able to remove the painters tape from the stock and unwrap my present to myself to see how the final product came out? So far things are looking very good!

JC

Savageproject106.jpg

Savageproject107.jpg

Great looking rigs guys!

I just finished painting and bedding my wolverine stock the other day. Will hopefully get some pics up tonight. I only had the gloss clear coat on hand but when I get the chance I will probably go over it again with a matte finish. There isn't a lot of shine, but it can't hurt to get rid of what is there. I had a lot of fun doing it and am trying to figure out which synthetic stock is going to get it next!

JC.......I must have missed something. How was the splotting of green paint applied to the painted black stock?

Younghunter.......tell me what type of matt coating will you choose to cover the gloss finish and where would you purchase it?

Doug

jcchartboy said:
the overcoat was done in a "splatter" style standing several feet away from the stock and letting the paint drops form in the air and "spray and spatter" the stock all the

Doug,

As as I tried to explain above...there was nothing scientific about my approach. Once the base coat is done, it is purely a matter of standing back and "splattering" the stock with paint from the spray paint can. Of course, as I discussed there is no way to know how the pattern will come out without first trying it (ideally the paint is little sticky on the nozzle and it tends to "clump up" as it sprays from the can, (maybe that is the part i didn't explein well)). For that reason I did several test patterns using brown packaging paper as the canvas.

Just lay down the paper, spray your base color on, (Textured black and Satin Black in my case), wait 5 minutes for it to dry, then standing back several feet, spray short bursts of the overcoat, (the green paint in my case), and let the drops of paint fall on the paper and splatter.

Once you have done the steps mentioned above and you get your "painting" on the paper canvas to match the appearance you hoped for...Then you just do the same steps with your stock while it is hanging up....of course you only get one shot so hopefully you got the process down pretty well while testing it on the paper.

(I guess the key part is that I should have clarified is that the paint should "clump" as it sprays and come out in small sized drops...and not as a fine aerosol.)

Let me know if this helps...

JC

Ahhhhhh....ok I was a little confused about that. Sounds rather creative but I guess if you mess up you can always repaint and start over. It did turn out looking very nice.

Doug

dougedwards said:
Ahhhhhh....ok I was a little confused about that. Sounds rather creative but I guess if you mess up you can always repaint and start over. It did turn out looking very nice.

Doug

Thanks Doug,

As I mentioned, if you use the paper...you can try all of the combinations you want before ever putting a drop of paint on the stock. Most of these paints are thick enough that once you put the first coat on the paper, once they dry they look remarkably similar to the finish you will get once they are on your stock.

Either way...If you have some ideas...it is a great way to test them out without having to worry about screwing up the stock....and don't worry...Andy Warhol I am not... :lol: ....If I could do it...I am sure you can do it as good, if not better, with a little practice!!

JC

Latest posts

Back