Barnes Expander performance on Elk with Pics (Not ML)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregonelkhunter

Reaction score
This is my 4th elk taken with Barnes Expander bullets. This one was with the Federal Vita-Shok 12 gauge sabot with a 328 grain Barnes Tipped Expander slug. This slug is almost identical to the Barnes TMZ (with tip) and Barnes MZ Expander (without tip.)

I have read comments by some who say that Barnes all-copper bullets are not ?as effective? at close range -that they pass through too quickly at short range.

Every elk I have taken with the Expander bullet (shots from 25 yards to 210 yards) have died within 50 yards or less. Every one, until now, has been a ?pass-through,? so I have never recovered the bullet to examine it. Until now.

Last week, I took this elk with a 25 yard shot, with the above sabot slug in my Benelli M2 rifled slug gun. (Velocity is 1900 fps - similar to most modern MLs.) One shot, down and out within 15 yards.

The bullet, as you can see, was a perfect mushroom. It weighed 325 grains ? 99% of its original weight.

That is the kind of performance you can have confidence in.

Good hunting. OEH

BarnesExpander1.jpg

BarnesExpander2.jpg

BarnesExpander3.jpg

LincolnCityElk2008005.jpg

I've got a few of those, but mine are out of a muzzleloader at about 1200-1400 fps.
Africa107335.jpg

Africa107338.jpg

The original Expanders are my favorite in any caliber for 90% of my hunting. They perform great over a huge velocity range and seldom fail.

The Spitfire MZ isnt bad but i have had to drive them a bit harder for 100% expansion. Not really a problem though unless it a really long shot....i still got the older 285s and love them.

GM was nice enough to give me 12 325gr Redhots AKA Expanders with the huge 50cal hp with my GMB54. :D A pencil eraser will fit in that hole :lol:

When it must die or you might, a hunt of a life time or i simply must have one of the best...i choose Barnes.

Congrats on the elk, ive never had the chance but i know what i will use if i ever do. :D

Barnes bullets are the best! They are worth every penny.

80 grs BH209 with a Barnes 250 gr TMZ, 105 yards on a nice whitetail doe
Matts2nddoebarnesbullet.jpg

We've shot deer from 20 to 200 yards. Never had a problem with anything. I'll use this bullet til something better comes along. I think I'm in for a long wait!

That's a NICE ELK! LOL. My wife sat down next to me and looked at your photo and said "What's that! A Horse?" She is use to looking at deer photos in our area. That just goes to show you how big your elk looks!

BuckDoeHunter said:
That's a NICE ELK! LOL. My wife sat down next to me and looked at your photo and said "What's that! A Horse?" She is use to looking at deer photos in our area. That just goes to show you how big your elk looks!

She was a Roosevelt Elk from the Oregon Coast. A little bigger than her Rocky Mountain cousins. Fortunately, I only had to pack the quarters about 3/4 of a mile this year. Three large coolers of meat. VERY GOOD EATING ! OEH

Congratulations OEH, she is a whopper.

I wonder what will happen, now that the Remington parent company has aquired Barnes? Wonder if Federal will still be loading, or will even be able to load that bullet in their shotshells? Also wonder what will become of the newer Remington Copper Solid, good bullet, but the Barnes has the market that the Remington never did?

OEH--

I am just curious... Why hunt elk with a slug gun? Because the forest is so thick and the elk are close? Are you limited to using a slug gun in some parts of western Oregon?

I was at Oregon State in the fall of '79 and I know what some of the Coast Range is like. And even back then I think they had some slug gun-only hunts in the Willamette Valley.

Like I said, just curious.

I like Barnes slugs too and have killed a few deer with the 20 ga, 3/4 oz Expander that Federal used to load. They shot great in my rifled 870 and performed beautifully on deer. The 5/8 oz Barnes that Federal loads now in the 20 ga. won't stay on the paper at 50 yds--it sucks :evil: I contacted Barnes and Federal about it, but they did not care about my accuracy issues. Velocity sells and that's what they wanted.... :roll:

Congrats on the elk, OEH Great job :yeah:

Busta said:
Congratulations OEH, she is a whopper.

I wonder what will happen, now that the Remington parent company has aquired Barnes? Wonder if Federal will still be loading, or will even be able to load that bullet in their shotshells? Also wonder what will become of the newer Remington Copper Solid, good bullet, but the Barnes has the market that the Remington never did?

Busta - I am also concerned. I intend to purchase as many of the federal slugs as I can afford and cash them for later use. I also plan to call Ty at Barnes and get more information about the transition. I will post any information I get. OEH

paia said:
OEH--

I am just curious... Why hunt elk with a slug gun? Because the forest is so thick and the elk are close? Are you limited to using a slug gun in some parts of western Oregon?

I was at Oregon State in the fall of '79 and I know what some of the Coast Range is like. And even back then I think they had some slug gun-only hunts in the Willamette Valley.

Paia: This hunt is close to town and therefore is a "shotgun only" hunt. One of the few such hunts in Oregon. The intent is to prevent high powered and therefore, long range, projecticles so close to urban areas. It is a Cow hunt - to help reduce populations and related damage. Elk populations are doing very well west of the Cascades.

Both my sons went to OSU. Go Beavs!!! OEH

Back