Moosemilk question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweesdad

Reaction score
Hi guys
I am going to be starting to use Moosemilk as a shooting patch lube in my .58 Green Mt. barrel.
How much of it do you put on the patch, and how wet do you leave the patch when loading? I have been using bore butter with a bore button till now, because all my patches seem to burn up on firing without them. I would like to eliminate the bore button if possible, and am hoping that changing the lube will permit me to do that.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

I use moose milk also. There are two ways to use it actually. You can take a patch and saturate it, then set that on a window screen, LET IT DRY, and use it that way. The oils are still in the cloth. You will hear people talking about shooting a dry patch, well that is one way to do it.

Another easy and effective way is get an old bug spray bottle that has a pump spray head. Fill that bottle with moose milk and hold the patch up and spritz it with the mist. I like to put enough on that it looks wet. Actually if you think you have too much on the patch, ring it out with your fingers. You can still use the bore button if you want, but I find no need for them. My patches are in such good condition I swear you could shoot them again.

Moose Milk

A general purpose black powder solvent and liquid patch lube. Shake well before using

Castor Oil 4 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.
Witch Hazel 4 oz.
Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz.
Water (non-chlorinated) 16 oz.

I dip my patching material in this twice and let it dry between dunks on an old window screen. This makes a semi-dry patch material that's easy to carry & use. If you don't mind carrying a little bottle of moose milk liquid, it's a GREAT liquid lube as is. I carry it in an OFF Pump bug spray bottle and just spritz a patch. You can use it just like that if you want.

Be sure when making the Moose milk to mix the alcohol and castor oil together first. Then add the witch hazel. Add all of this to the water and shake. Finally after that mixture is all together add the Murphy?s oil soap.

As long as you're experimenting Tweesdad, you ought to give pure olive oil a try for a dozen shots or so. It's all I use for patched balls these days. Wet the stack of patches with olive oil and massage it in until all the patches are saturated. Then wrap the stack in a couple of paper towels and squeeze the bundle with your fingers so the paper absorbs all of the excess oil. The patches will fill almost dry. Now wash your hands and go shooting.

Semisane

I wanna try that... that is a great use for my wife's Olive Oil! Just gotta be careful and not get caught....

In fact she is gone - gonna go make some right now.. after I squeeze them can I just store them in a zip lock for an extended period????

after I squeeze them can I just store them in a zip lock for an extended period????

I don't see why not Sabotloader. The oil won't go rancid and the fabric should hold up for a reasonable period of time - certainly a few months anyway. I keep a 4oz. folding spout bottle of olive oil in my shooting box and usually lube the patches just before a shoot, or the day before. For the hunting season I put a dozen lubed patches in an old musket cap tin and carry it in my pocket. I toss those patches at the end of the season or shoot them up in a range session.

4ozOliveOil.jpg

another gooder idea... the little bottle

I found Terry's supply of Olive Oil - it was in a real fancy bottle and as I was pouring it on the patches I looked at the price on the lid - wow! - I am glad Terry was not here... Gotta admit it was really a good smooth grade of oil as I worked with it...

Back